Thinking about trying BJJ...?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by yoyo123, May 11, 2011.

1. yoyo123

yoyo123 Valued Member

I already take chen t'ai chi, but I want to add a more active art. I tried taekwondo and LOVED it, but some of the kicks didn't agree with me, so I think I'll be better off with a non-kicking art.

I was thinking about checking out a BJJ class, but I do have some concerns. I am 30-ish, female, VERY slight build, not very strong. I have no preference for self-defense vs. sport. I am in this for fun, exercise, challenge of learning new skills, and martial arts culture (really enjoy the respect/camaraderie/focus in my other MA classes).

Do you think BJJ is an OK fit for me given my age/size? My lower back is "slightly" weak, but taekwondo doesn't bother it. Is this an issue? I'm not worried about muscle soreness/bruises, more concerned about other injuries since I am small (are 200 lb guys and muscley amazon women going to break me in half?? lol). I'm not as durable as I was 10 years ago, obviously!

What do you think?

2. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

They usually offer one trial class and I think you should just join the class to see if it fits you. Only you can decide for yourself.

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'm a big guy who trains BJJ. I am also an old guy at 57. Try a class, I think you'll like it. You will find people of all sizes, ages and skill levels. It is a very hard work out and it is very mental at the same time. I highly recommend it.

4. yoyo123

yoyo123 Valued Member

Thanks!

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Remember to report back when you've tried each option and decided what to do! :D

6. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Definitely try it out. You should know most BJJ schools are predominately male. You'll generally be partnered up with someone of similar stature to learn techniques and when you do situational training most teachers divide the class up into heavy and light weight divisions. As far as sparring goes, just tap early and try to survive for as long as possible at first. It's a lot of fun and I've met a lot of really great people on my journey in BJJ. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just try the class, then decide if the art and the school is for you. you can do it!