TKD Check In

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Checking in!

I'm training in the Conceptual Self-Defense Club in Texas, under Mr. Anthony Nguyen(3rd Dan Black Belt) with Grand Master San Yoon(9th Dan Black Belt) as the club Advisor. We are mostly working with Tai Kwon Do techniques, so I decided to check in with y'all! :)

2. degaston

degaston New Member

Hi All,

Doug here from Vienna, Virginia. My son and I have been taking WTF Taekwondo for a little over three years.

Excuses for why he has his black belt and I don't (yet):

1. He's gone to Taekwondo summer camp the past two years.
    2. He doesn't have all the daily distractions that an adult has.
    3. His brain is a sponge. He memorizes his forms and one-steps after just a couple of lessons and never forgets anything.
    4. My brain is a sieve. It takes me much longer and I'm likely to forget them if I don't practice frequently.

3. TaeKwonDo-Kiid

TaeKwonDo-Kiid Valued Member

Study Ita ho-am Taekwondo im a 3rd degree black belt and a trainee instructor im 15 and i train under master mark spain in aldershot

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pardon me, but a 15-year old 3rd Dan? What did you do for your grading?

5. GizMo1984

GizMo1984 New Member

Hello everyone.
    I don't know if this thread is still going as it seems the last post was well over a year ago but I thought I'd revive it as I've only jusy discovered the wonder that is MAP!
    My name's Dan, I'm 24 and from south London, England.
    I'm a 1st Dan black belt of MDK style TKD.
    I've also just started teaching my own class, within our club, which I love!
    To top it off I'm training hard for my 2nd Dan which I hope to go for, along with my 2 brothers, in September this year!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

38yr studying - Ita ho-am Taekwondo, under Master mitchelmore
    just reached senior green.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome aboard :)

Mitch

8. TaeKwonDo-Kiid

what every other 3rd degree has to do...
    forms, sparing (i did 8 rounds at 2mins each i think, all with adults of course)and board breaking

just coz im 15 duzent me i do anythink different to adult 3rd degree's and i have to wait 6months now till i can test next, but i dont think i will, as i will get caught on the age gap on the next one have to be 17 so i think ill do my next level instructor and space it all out, coz otherwise im going to get caught on all the age waits !.

9. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

Damn, well this is going to be used against my arguments on the bb age thread.

Oh well.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

TaeKwon-Do-Kiid,

I won't bother discussing the mental and emotional maturity one would expect from a 3rd Dan. But to put it bluntly, no 15 year old has it.

I'm not frustrated with you personally, but with the system that awards 3rd Dan at 15 and only 6 months until you test for 4th Dan. It's ridiculous.

May I ask which association you're with?

11. RagingDelirium

I believe to achieve 4th degree, this is multi tests system,
    final requirements involve, all of the standard requirements, e.g thesis, having taught students for a period of..etc.
    silly amount of sparring rounds + rounds of 4 on 1
    also must performed unarmed & armed exibition..
    it takes a couple of years from 3rd to 4th
    & apparently even if you completed all of the above,
    above and beyond what would normally be required the masters here are still twitchy about the awarding the forth degree
    basically you would have to exceptional to achieve this status before 18yrs old.

also just as an observation from 2nd to 4th there seems to be alot of fails and broken bones involved in testing at this level

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  12. TaeKwonDo-Kiid

well you cant say that untill you have met me and every 15 year old in the world.
    and im with ho-am tiger rock taekwondo (ita..international taekwondo allience)

and no sorry i didnt make it clear we have 4 stages to each rank so its like,
    3rd degree Level 1- wait 6months to test
    3rd degree Level 2- wait 6months to test
    3rd degree Level 3- wait 6months to test
    3rd degree Level 4- wait 6months to test && you have to be 17

so really your a fully 3rd degree at 3rd degree Level 4 and then u have to be 17 to test for 4th degree

13. STKDH

STKDH Valued Member

Hello All,

My name Matt from Southampton. I teach and train under TKD Hawks a new group founded last year and am a 4th Degree and Certified Instructor. I know there are members on here from my former org. all I ask is that is stays civil. :)

14. TaeKwonDo-Kiid

Hey sir :)
    how's your new school going ?
    havent spoken to you really since i left, i no its late (very late lol) but well done on your 4th degree :)

15. RagingDelirium

good grief, now im just waiting for greenaway to show up...

16. TaeKwonDo-Kiid

I Do Believe He Is On Here, And I Also Think Mr Wilson And Possibley Mr Laver Is On Here Also :)

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome aboard everyone :)

I hope the organisation you do/did belong to is never a sticking point on here, God kows there is enough politics in TKD without us continuing it over the net!

Mitch

18. RagingDelirium

good grief, the world just gets smaller and smaller
    next you will telling a certain ex pearpoint employee is here too

19. TaekwondoGirl09

TaekwondoGirl09 New Member

Heyy,,
    My names Naomi. Im 16. Im a Black Belt 1st degree Level 3.
    I'm not wiv a club atm cos of financial difficulties but I was wiv ITA and I went to Charlotte's new club a few times. I loved tkd and I really wna go back.
    :)

20. TaeKwonDo-Kiid

Hiya Nai,
    Yes hopefully we will see you back at tkd, be good to have you back :)