Nunchaku kata

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by simi, Oct 2, 2008.

1. simi

simi Valued Member

Watch this nunchaku kata which is created myself.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGVYI1m2Y8[/ame]

If you have own nunchaku form, post them below. We can share our knowledge here.

2. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Since you created this kata, perhaps you could tell us a bit about what it is supposed to teach? In particular, what does it teach that is not covered in the existing katas of your style?

3. simi

simi Valued Member

Nunchaku movements are in two methods. One is freestyle and other one is hard style. It is hard style practise. You can watch some defence technics in that.

I have created this video for entertainment purpose only. This nunchaku is illegal weapon in any country you know.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  4. crushing step

crushing step Valued Member

I don't understand this statement. They seem to be easier to buy than handguns.

5. simi

simi Valued Member

May i know where are you from?

6. crushing step

As long as you promise not to come after me with your illegal nunchaku!

I am in the USA. I also looked this up FYI. It might not be the bottom line, but it certainly shows that they aren't illegal in any country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunchaku#Legality

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Whenever you're in doubt about the legality of a weapon you're training with (or wish to train with) in your area, its always best to check with the local police rather than specifically trust people online.

8. simi

simi Valued Member

Thanks for the info. Now I have understood the nunchaku legality world wide. But its illegal weapon in my country(India).

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

As just a side comment, I can say that the form is very nice "eye candy". There are quite a few short-comings, however.

There are five stances through which most Okinawan techniques are executed including Forward, Back, Staddle, False Step (aka "Cat stance") and Single Legged.

Also the use of flailing techniques are only about 30% of the material for which these items can be used. Absent in your form are blocking (both single and double-stick), striking (both single and double stick) and trapping/ controlling along with throws and pins.

I'm sure you meant well, but frankly all you have accomplished in my eye is one more flailing drill. I can't see where it is actually a Form since its material is so bereft of technical depth that it cannot be catalogued as a Teaching or Combat or Demonstration Form. I suppose that it could generally be considered a training form given its repetition of the same thing over and over again.

Of course, this is only my opinion. As always YMMV.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  10. Kung-Fu Joe

Kung-Fu Joe Valued Member

I'd say it's actually best to check with a local lawyer. You'd be surprised how often police don't even know the weapons laws of their own states. I can't tell you how many times I've had friends complain about confiscated knives or baseball bats; neither they (nor the officers in question) realized these are perfectly legal items to own and carry in New Jersey.

Knowledge is always the best thing with which to arm yourself.

--Joe

11. crushing step

Courtesy of Bullshido:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_SVABYkTI"]YouTube[/ame]

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's probably also a good idea not to film yourself using said illegal weapon. ;)

That aside, I say hats off to the OP. Good for you. You're not claiming to be an expert or teacher. You're just posting something you were trying out. And I've got no problem whatsoever with that.

As for the technical performance, it could use work. But that's fine.

Stuart

13. crushing step

QFT

Also no offense intended by the parody video... I personally don't hate the nunchaku, but am amused at what some people do with them.