How to prevent the adrenaline dump from happening?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Warriorspirit91, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

Had my first BJJ competition yesterday and ended up coming 2nd in overtime because in the final my body just gave out and felt so heavy, I had many chances to submit my opponent but just didn't have the strength to keep hold of locks.

How do you prevent yourself from crashing like that? I know experience makes a big difference but is there anything that experienced competitors do that makes a difference?

Many Thanks.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just compete more. Your body will adapt to the environment and manage adrenaline release better the more you are used to competing and the more relaxed you become from gaining experience.

3. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

Yeah that will happen overtime but while I am new to it, is there anything that can be done to help ease it?

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

with experience you'll learn when and where to exert energy and when to save it. it sounds a bit to me from your sentence is that you're stuck trying to muscle a move when really you should be moving on to the next thing.

this will come with lots of training.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Compete more. In the meantime get fitter than you already are. There is no short cut to this man. You will crash and that's just the way it is. You will relax more the more you do it.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Congrats on competing though. Where was it? and any vids?

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What is your diet like? It is really important to eat clean to keep your energy levels up. This is especially important on game day. If you eat some high sugar crap (ie protein bars, etc...) you are probably going to crash in the afternoon. I'm not a nutritionist, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm a big believer that diet has a big effect on energy levels and therefore athletic performance.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i would refine this to say that your weight going into a competition is important. i typically want to compete at a weight where i can eat and drink whatever i normally eat and drink on days that i work out--or work out heavily. if i'm shedding weight up until the competition, i can't do my normal routine.

i got crushed in my first competition because i decided to go in as a fat guy. my second competition i lost because i, like the op, cashed out in the final. but that entire day i was managing my weight and couldn't hydrate or eat like i normally would have. later competitions, i still lost, lol, but it was because i just lost, not because of my own weight or intake day-of.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

One of my old training partners used visualization paired with a physical stimulus. One day we're in the change room and I see him with his eyes closed, tapping the inside of his elbow. So I ask him if he's injured and he just goes, "Naw man, I gotta prep myself. See, I'm a junkie an' I'm 'bout to shoot this [stuff] straight in here, nice an' smooth till it crawls through me."

Looked weird, sounds weird, but guy was cool as a cucumber when he walked out.

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Practise practise practise.

I imagine most will recall their first competition, over in a blur, lots of questions on you technique and fitness.
    Learn from it and participate in more competition or similar events (like gradings, interclub competition).

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) more experience/relaxation I.e. roll more / compete more
    2) more fitness / cardio I.e. roll more/go running
    3) more fitness / strength training I.e. go lift.

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Yup. Like anything else, it just requires practice. Learning to deal with the adrenaline dump is as important as learning the techniques if you're going to compete.

However, a nice trick is to have a bag of gummies handy. Have a gummy after each bout... the small amount of sugar will help your body process the adrenaline. Bananas are also good for that... just have a bite after each match.

13. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Compete more.

And relax - you should be enjoying this. It's BJJ, not a knife fight, so if you screw up you get to tap and walk away largely in once piece. So with that in mind learn and enjoy it!