Black belt testing tomorrow... yikes!!!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AussieGirl, Feb 10, 2017.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

3. KSP08

KSP08 New Member

Congrats! It's a good feeling.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Great news, congratulations.

5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Congratulations! That sounds like a hard core test!

How many of the eleven testing made it through?

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Congratulations AussieGirl...! :happy: :fight1: :happy: :fight1:

Travess

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Congrats. Now your training starts.

I remember it being one of the most nerve racking moments in my life, I actually burst in to tears when I got my belt as it was a hard test and was physically and mentally exhausted.
    You sound like you handled it well and had to forethought to work on your fitness as well as technique. Well done!

9. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

Thanks everyone :) :) :)

That's one of the things that our school says all the time. Black belt means that you've mastered the basics and are ready to begin training. :)

We all made it through. There were another 3-4 (I think) conditional black belts that the staff had a quiet word with in the weeks before the test and recommended that they postpone until the next round (6 months) because they didn't feel they would pass. There was one person at the test who was rather dubious. That was the reason for our outdoor run apparently... the staff wanted to debate whether he should pass, without all of us in earshot.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So fascinating! When I get my black belt it will probably be handed to me at the end of the class. I'd love to try a black belt grading like that (the 5 hour long gruelling kind). Gotta earn the right to try though :D

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Congrats! :)

12. khuang85

khuang85 New Member

Congrats! My test seemed to be done in a different manner. We don't do weapons and if you make a mistake during a form, you need to just keep on going and don't show it on your face. You'll get some points deducted but as long as you stay strong and have low stances.

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Congratulations. A black belt is a great achievement.

For me the most important thing about a black-belt is that it should mark the fact that you are no longer a student.

This does not mean that you stop learning. But what it means is that you are now responsible for your own learning.

I liken it to the difference between a degree and a post grad. In a degree you learn to think and do, but your teachers are in charge of what you learn. In a post grad you still follow the lead of your adviser, but you have to make your own judgments and decisions and justify what you do. Meanwhile your adviser claims all of your successes as there own. And pinches your best ideas.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017