Bisping v GSP - Cancelled

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, May 11, 2017.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

For those following, Georges St Pierre was to make his comeback to MMA, by fighting for the MW title against Bisping.
    After some delays and some rolling of eyes from.other fighters, it's now called off.

Bisping and UFC has been angling for a July fight initially, then vague re-scheduling to possibly November due to GSP citing not being ready.

In the best move, I think, the money making fight has been scrapped and Yoel Romero will be fighting for the title.

It's still early days but am sure that there'll be a lot of finger pointing and blaming for the delays.

Will we ever see GSP back in the cage? Personally, I dont think so.

Bisping to retain or will Romero be #AndNew? ... I think Romero will win it.

Thoughts?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

GSP is by far my favorite fighter. I am so looking forward to his return to the ring! I don't care who he fights, I just want him back. MMA hasn't been quite the same without him for me.

Oh, and I can't stand Bisping. So, in a way I don't mind not having to listen to Bisping leading up to the fight. It was like having to listen to Diaz before he fought GSP - not fun to me.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Oh for god's sakes, I was looking forward to this.

As far as I knew, GSP wasn't exactly a slouch during his downtime, it seems like never really stopped training so I'm not sure how he can say he isn't ready. Unless his head went again.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

axelb likes this.
  5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's Monday, well past spoiling
    As soon as I saw GSP move I knew he was going to get it
    Bits of Thompson Vs Masvidal actually looked like a movie
    Great result for Namajunes, really crisp striking.
    Dillashaw Vs Garbrant was certainly exciting
    I think Costa is my new favourite MMA striker

axelb likes this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

GSP did not look great out there. Looked slow and tired. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt with ring rust and generally having a huge adrenaline dump.

Woodley will tear him apart and so will Whittaker I think. I hope GSP moves down to Ligtweight. He said he can do it and I'd like to see it. It's the best chance he has at winning. He could beat Ferguson and Khabib.

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

He looked to be getting a second wind to me, and Bisping was on wobblier legs than he was. He whiffed badly on one right hand and people are overemphasising it.

Tyron Woodley was constructed by nature to lose that fight, he'd hang out with his back to the fence and get jabbed up all night precisely like he did against MacDonald. Whittaker, though, has a lot of similarities in his striking style to St. Pierre except he's bigger and harder hitting, plus being extremely hard to hold down. That's definitely a tough fight for George.

8. Mushroom

GSP looked very slow coming into the 3rd round. Managed to exploit Bisping's blind side and was essentially the stronger guy. Nice little move to get past the legs.
    Whittaker will destroy/would've destroyed either Bisping or GSP anyway I think.

I doubt GSP will stay in middleweight, even he says he's still finding his balance.

Great for Namajunas. Big knockdown and swarming.

TJ was a bit of a surprise for me, I thought it would be a close match but honestly thought Cody would've taken it (and he nearly did with that overhand).

TJ vs DJ? Dunno if that'll happen.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I thought for a 4 year layoff he looked very good, jab was excellent, and his timing on the double and high crotch is still a thing of beauty....gassed early but was carrying a lot of muscle, an awful lot...

axelb, Ben Gash CLF and Mushroom like this.
  10. Mushroom

FB_IMG_1510060564479.jpg

Stolen from the Facebooks. Fun yet weird facts.

Vince Millett and Pretty In Pink like this.
  11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

When in doubt, hit the Spoiler tags is what I hear on these threads...

Knee Rider likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

Woodley wins that fight convincingly. 2007 GSP would ruin Woodley thogh, and embarrass him though.

Knee Rider likes this.
  13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Good fight.. For a moment it did feel like St Pierre was gassing out. But then all it take is that one shot to turn things round. Once he smelt blood he finished it impeccably. Class act.

Knee Rider likes this.
  14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I thought GSP looked far better than he had his last couple of fights before retiring. His OCD to keep the WW belt was gone, he was free to be his old self- taking more risks.

IMO, he has cemented his legacy as GOAT. Comes back after several knee surgeries, 36 years old, moves up a weight class AND gets the finish he hasn't had in awhile! Champ in two divisions, never failed a drug test. Yes- GOAT IMO.

That will go down in my memories as one of my greatest things to watch as a sports fan.

The other fights were great too!

Thomas likes this.
  15. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I think right now it's impossible to argue, he is the greatest of all time. I keep forgetting that there was a belt on the line. I just keep thinking "he beat Michael Bisping". Haha

Thomas likes this.
  16. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I like bisping. I thought his post fight our interviews were extremely honest, humble and measured. He's an absolute grafter who has been in the game for ages. He might talk a bit of trash but I think he's a good bloke and really an excellent fighter. As for GSP I think he's phenomenal and always has been... If not a little dull to watch at times.

IMO the whole card was bloody brilliant. Best in a while

17. Pretty In Pink

Funny, I have never once thogh he was dull in a fight. I always enjoyed his fights. I absolutely love his jab and wrestling. He's dull in press conferences sometimes but I like that.

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'm never without appreciation for his technicality but I have found his style boring over the course if 5 rounds.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

He can tend to play it safe in fights and go for the decision victory on ground he is comfortable with, even when his opponent is less than stellar in skills

Personally I find it hard for vote for him as the goat for that very reason, he is top 3 no doubt but his game never evolved and he didn't face enough truely great fighters , hardy koscheck, shields, Diaz all good but would never be considered world class opponents yet all took him the distance

20. Pretty In Pink

Condit, Thiago Alves who was absolutely terrifying, Matt Serra, BJ Penn, Bisping god knows who else. Your only other GOAT option is Fedor. Both Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have tested positive for steroids.