Sparring mentality

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kandi, Mar 13, 2017.

1. kandi

kandi Valued Member

This is really stupid and I don't understand it.

I just can't seem to make this "click". Blue belt blues, maybe.

I have a theory that the more I train, the more I realise I have to improve before I can honestly say I have a mastery of the basics (to get to black belt). So daunting :(

2. KSP08

KSP08 New Member

Black belts feel that way, too. :) Martial arts is a never-ending journey. Hang in there- I'm sure you are improving a little each day even if you don't realize it.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I know how you feel, I was a blue belt for two years :p

You'll get there in the end.

4. kandi

kandi Valued Member

You are such a lovely guy! Glad to hear you got through it :)

I don't think there is an option but to keep going, keep training, but it feels like a long hard slog. I used to think I was above average for my belt, now I'm just treading water. Apologies for the pity party - I'm just trying to work out how to go forward, faster. :woo:

5. Pretty In Pink

Did you just assume my genders? :p j/k

The thing about improving, is its a lot like growing. You don't realise you're doing until BAM! You hit your head on the bunk bed when you sit up in the morning.

6. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Yes ma'am I did :cool:

7. Pretty In Pink

I'm actually a dragonkin and identify as such ;)

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I like this advise.

I tell my students that when they start to struggle go back to the default position, which is behind a good guard.

Work up from there.

Block a few, then try and slip a few and build your confidence from there.

Block a few and throw a jab or front kick back.

Everything though starts behind that good guard and stance, whatever your style.

You said your instructor told you to throw a feint, but if you don't commit to it it'll be seen a mile off.

Remember a feint can hit and a feint has to travel over 50% of the way to its target.

Many throw a feint jab just a couple of inches to try and draw a flinch and it just doesn't work.

it can be done, but it requires a lot of training and the entire body is behind it.

I suggest feinting deeper.

One last thing.

Out at 50, back at 100.

Get those arms and legs back into position quick so you can work behind that good defence.

9. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

In terms of retreating, you'll have to stay comfortable when they move into you.

I teach wing chun, and in our art, we seldom if ever step back. The trick is you gotta spar in close range more. And if you can get super comfortable with it, then it'll be easier to stand ground.

In terms of sparring with higher levels, it'll always be a bit more challenging. But just keep doing it and you'll get better at it.

10. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Had an awesome and inspiring sparring session this morning. Really loved it. New guy in the dojo used to fight muay thai. Was really cool to see their different approach (particularly the low outside kicks). I held my own ok, mostly because his cardio wasn't great.

I got smacked in the face though, the hardest I think I've ever been hit. Stupid thing was that my guard deflected his hook punch upwards, from the top of my shoulder to my nose. My eyes immediately watered and I heard a crunch. I'm glad my nose isn't broken, but I learned that I can take a hit and keep going. So cool. It's strange but makes me feel more confident, not less. I want to spar him again!

11. Masked_Master

Masked_Master New Member

Just be relaxed and do not ever think about the belt colour of the opponent you are facing. Everyone has their own weaknesses strengths. Just try to think that it is you in front of you fighting with your own self. Then you will be able to eliminate most of the fear and most importantly you will find much more weaknesses that opponent has. This is a great way to improve your skills in the beginning.

12. Masked_Master

Masked_Master New Member

13. Kicksider

Kicksider New Member

When I visited a seminar with Don Wilson, a former kickboxing champion he was asked if he ever showed up for fights without being in shape. Don said, he had to take some fights with injuries or while being sick like his big bout against Dennis Alexio. He said one of his strategies in his fights was to make his opponents look bad. He would make them miss or just block attacks in a awkward way. That in return made his opponent look worse than him. Maybe that's a valid approach in sparring, too. Give your partner a hard time with funny moves ...