Concussion/head injury grrrrr

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Smaug97, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Hi all i seem to be visiting this section far too much as of late!
    So as it happens the black eye i thought i had has turned out to be a minor concussion- now I'm anticipting a quick recovery but I'm still off training for a good 3 weeks just to be safe.
    My question is 1. If anyone has had experience of concussion at what point did you feel well enough to start drinking again (not talking heavily here)
    And 2. For all the muay thai guys/girls how often do you spar?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Drinking.... like alcohol?

I spar every day near enough. Light most of the time though.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you don't feel you can train, you shouldn't drink, as a rule.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What Holyhead says.

No idea what the concussion is doing so the last thing you want is something which may cause further impairment.

You should still be able to exercise but I wouldnt spar for a while.

5. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Yup alcohol
    That's a fair assessment holyhead.
    My line of reasoning was that the doctor i saw said there were no red flags and that in all honesty i had to quote him" a few days" for recovery,(that was Tuesday), and the headaches are clearing up at a rate of knots- to the point where i could be exhibiting zero symptoms tomorrow at which point I'd be back to drinking small amounts of alcohol (obviously if symptoms persisted I'd not be drinking) ,however i'm wondering if the same principles as when I'm ill would apply in that you always leave it a day just in case.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Okay, maybe that's a bit beside the point, but if it's such a probem not do drink alcohol for a few days, you might want to take a closer look at that... situation.

7. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Ah yes reviewing my post i look a tad alcoholic don't i- i assure you I'm not fyi although that's what an alcoholic would say so you'll have to take my word for it XD.
    Context below.

I'm going to visit people in another city and i was hoping I'd be able to (with food) enjoy a glass of wine at a uni formal for example plus maybe a pint with my cousin, but unless i get okayed by a doctor (said cousin is one so eh possible) as long is I've got headaches it's a no no on the alcohol front.

But anyway this is all moot because i feel like these headaches have got a few days left anyway.

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I didn't mean to sound... well, mean :D
    Sorry, if it seemed like it.

Due to the text it was just something that occured to me and not in an insulting way.
    I'm a bit pre-damaged though, due to alcoholism in the family :eek: :D

I'm just glad that you don't seem to have a problem - and I admit: With that context the question makes a lot more sense ;)

Hope you get well again soon!
    And that you can have a good time despite the heachaches. I find a headache, no matter how bad or not bad, just to be annoying as hell :(

9. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

It's fine latikos i should have put the context first.
    Also got okayed by my cousin so I'm back on track- (feeling a lot better so i think stress was making me overexxagerate my symptoms if that makes sense).
    Still gonna be takings it easy though- I've only got 1 brain after all.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Good :)

I think, I know what you mean: Due to the concussion you probably kept too much focus on everythinh "head-related"?
    I still have that problem since I strained my groin and still have troubles at time; I feel every little thing, and most of it is nothing in the end.

Brains are overrated ;)

11. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Hi, Athletic training student here. If you're not from the US or unfamiliar with AT, think physios in rugby and other parts of the world.

Concussion protocol for football has you on rest until you stop feeling symptoms. Don't take any ibuprofen, if you have to take pain killer, take tylenol. Doc should've told you that.

First try to do some light cardio ... not a jog, more of a walk. If symptoms come back. Stop for the day and try again tomorrow.

If you pass the first day, bump it up to higher cardio. This is where you jog. Then shut it down for the day.

3rd day, sprint, sport specific stuff. Non contact

4th day, try doing jumps, burpees, etc

5th day, very light and controlled contact

6th day, return to play.

Especially since this is a diagnosed concussion, don't mess around with it. These guidelines are loosely based on how concussion protocol for highschool football is. Concussion and recovery aren't fun ... but don't risk your long term health for martial arts. You can't practice martial arts with massive brain trauma. I actually wrote a report on this my freshman year of university (I'm a 3rd year now), pertaining to the mismanagement of concussions in martial arts.

Also ... a couple brews shouldn't hurt. But don't drink too heavily, the issue is the dehydration associated with alcohol from a physiological standpoint. At least that was how it was explained to me.

Respect the healing process, we all heal at different rates. Pushing yourself too far just restarts the healing process.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Smaug97 likes this.