Harry Cook Charged With Seven Counts of Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kogusoku, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Fellow Mappers,

This is for purely information purposes and not to tar the individual in question.

According to various sources including news articles, Mr. Henry Wilson Cook, (AKA: Harry Cook), noted researcher and author of numerous books on martial arts has been charged on seven counts of sexual assault on a minor from 2006 - 2011. Mr.Cook as reportedly plead guilty to all seven counts. He is on remand in Durham

Hexham Courant News Article

Cook Sent for Sentence

Statement from the Fight Sciences Research Institute

Statement from FRSI

Our Shotokan Studies Forum - Harry Cook Thread

Initial post with certain individual's family names removed.

This is I repeat, for information purposes. Please keep the thread responses on topic and sensible.

Thank you for your time.

2. Ellis Amdur

Ellis Amdur Valued Member

Steve - the idea that pedophiles invariably are brutalized in prison is not necessarily so. If the pedophile is also weak, strange, or not prison-wise, he will almost surely be victimized. However, those who know how to "act" - and this is the most remarkable talent of the skilled pedophile - can do just fine in the prison setting. What happens is if he "acts like a man," the majority of the other prisoners will readjust their perspective.
    I know of lots of cases where the pedophile or even child-murderer prospers in prison. (The best concealment is the ability to scan other people and know exactly how to act so you "disappear" in plain sight).

Personal note:
    Having known Cook slightly, I was stunned to read about this. He had been, in my mind, an exemplar of integrity.

His epitaph, in life and someday in death, should read, "He was never a budo man." Because the essence of all we train about is integrity, control of self and morality, and no matter what his other accomplishments in life, rape of a child - rape of anyone, of any age, wipes all that out.

Ellis Amdur

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Well said Ellis. I fully agree. We train to overcome ourselves and our own weaknesses. Clearly decades of training achieve nothing for some people. All of those grades, books and articles now mean nothing.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

OK, I've discussed this with the other moderators and the consensus was to re-open this thread. However, please bear in mind that these are real people we're talking about and show some sensitivity.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

'cos pedophiles have feelings too? :confused:

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Perhaps more out of respect for the families and individuals involved, directly or indirectly.

I used to read Harry Cook's articles and his views shaped my approach to Karate to a fair degree. I've trained with Harry Cook. I own a signed copy of one of his books, a very valuable study of Karate history. I've cited his work in my own articles and book. I have a great deal of respect for the contribution he made to English and International Karate for many many years.

The recent events are a shock. I don't know the full specifics of the case. I do not defend or condone his actions, however I feel that a discussion of 'what we should do to paedophiles' is not educative or amusing.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Fair enough

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Like how he was sensitive towards his victims?

I think he lost his integrity, respect, rights, etc. I think he is now "game"

9. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

May be out of place but this tends to be how killing spree's begin.

10. 47MartialMan

That or lynch mobs :evil::evil:

11. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

Any update on this, or news of when his next seminar will be....

12. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Was there ever much of a difference?

Same sickening effect, people taking joy in killing other people all the while telling themselves they are "righteous".

"it's ok... just pick up the knife... you're doing the right thing.... those whores deserve it.... you'll see... doesn't that feel good.... yeah..... take that! and that!"

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Pitchfork and torch mentalities are never a good idea , Cook has admitted to his crimes and is on remand , his karate career is finished , and his family may disown him.
    I think a better use of our time would be to extend our best wishes to his victim at this difficult time.

14. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

It's not going to end well for him, that's for sure.

15. 47MartialMan

<not appropriate>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
  16. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Not that I'm excusing this in any way, given discussion on another thread recently when Ken Clarke opened his mouth, how much under eighteen? I previously trained in karate some years ago and a relationship with a young up and coming student split apart the association which possibly started before eighteen, so would have been an offence even consenting.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

47MartialMan,

Yeah nice and tasteful that!

Good to see you are treating the issue with a degree of sensitivity.

18. Kogusoku

Sir, this happened over a period of five years as reported. If it's the same person from adolescent age to the age of consent, it's still a crime. The victim could have been twelve years old at the time of criminal activity beginning, or she could have been ten. However, this is speculation and not useful as it muddies the water.

Victims are usually (and thankfully!) protected from having their details given out.

19. Kogusoku

Stop it please. Willya? This is one of the reasons why the thread was originally closed in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
  20. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Sir?:lowblow:Not the last time I looked!

I didn't ask for names or intend that kind of detail though I did miss the 5 year period when I first read it, Oops. :eek: I can understand the damage, as I write to someone I knew back home that dropped out of uni and into a psychiatric hosp, having escaped her abuser, but is now some years later sorting her life out. Was just making the point I have been training in a number of MAs since about 10 and one of the few or only girls does sometimes draw unwanted attention from teachers and other students. Obviously this is in another league.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.