What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Ms. Raptor and I have just started a marathon re-viewing of GoT, series hold up, even if the first season seems like a Hercules or Xena show with boobs.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Onto the second season now of GOT now, enjoying it muchly, although (I didnt think id ever say this) maybe too much boobs?

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It gets...less boob as the series goes on. (to the point where nude stand ins come into play)

4. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Just started designated survivor - great so far!

GoT when I finish DS.

5. philosoraptor

Totally too much boobs. I feel like there was a board room meeting somewhere with a bunch of people brainstorming "How the heck do we get people to stick with this series long enough to care about it?" and a lone voice penetrated the cacophony of debate with a booming "NUDITY."

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

When I read the first book the big problems I had were A: it was pretty dull and B: I didn't care about the characters (I also found it just unpleasant)
    Therefore I can see that emphasising the violence and female nudity is a production decision to make it more interesting (which for me it still fails to do).

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It gets better. For me Game of Thrones didn't come alive until Season 3. It needs the first two Seasons to set it up though. Especially with some of the very well done plot twists.

8. kandi

kandi Valued Member

I need to keep watching then, because I slowed down around Season 3 and forgot about it. I don't mind the gratuitous nudity though :cool:.

9. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I am watching the second episode of Iron Fist to see what you guys are talking about.

It's nice, but the protagonist is super stupid.
    That makes the watching experience a little hard now and then.

10. philosoraptor

I enjoyed the books a lot actually, I think Martin is a very skilled jazz writer; the things he doesn't put in are as important as what he does. Like UC, I'd recommend trying to stick through to season 3.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Finally up to date with Designated Survivor. A few things I guessed.

But what was really off putting was Netflix telling me tgere was product placement. I thought...

"Well thats normal. Product placement has been around since the silents"

Then a crowbarred advert happened in the middle of the show. A character brings out a smartphone, switches on a app and the car boots up.
    A close up of the dashboard lighting up, cut to a shot of the car's monitor booting up with the vehicle's make and model.
    Then the characters sit in the car and chat more.

...and I thought Fast8's product placement was bad.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I finally got to it last night. First episode ended and I said, "Eh, I'll try the next one." Second episode ended and I said, "That's worth a third. Tomorrow." :D

The Baron was a bit one-dimensional and over-the-top in the first episode, but I like where he's going in the 2nd. I thought the script for the 2nd episode was brilliant. There's just enough there to tell me where the story is going, but not enough that I can see the entire path. And it surprisingly successfully weaves several disparate story lines together: the Widow's desire to consolidate power, her unusually-intelligent daughter Tilda's independent streak, Quinn's increasing paranoia over his mortal illness and desire to maintain the status quo between the barons, Ryder's naivete and hunger for appreciation, the suggestion that Ryder's mother watches from behind the scenes everything that goes on in her fiefdom, Sunny's newfound love for someone else conflicting strongly with his oath of loyalty, MK's mystery power, ....

Like, seriously, :jawdrop: how did the writers fit all of that into two episodes, and do it well?!?!

:happy:

And, yes, the fight scenes were a bit heavy on wires and whatnot, but, like you, I approved all the same. :D

13. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I pointed my face at Netflix and 'Archer'. This was another series that has been on my 'watchlist' for ages, and one that I probably had no intention of visiting. However, I was in the market for a daft 20+ minute comedy, and this seemed to fit the bill...

It MORE than fit the bill. I started it about 3 days ago and I think I'm on the 3rd season already. Being late to the party, I thought I was mishearing the name 'ISIS'..

14. Ben Gash CLF

I love Archer.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Watching the anime Black Lagoon

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm, the description sounds okay. Netflix has season one on disk, so I added it to my queue. :)

17. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Thanks for mentioning this show.
    It's awesome. Sterling Archer is a blast!
    I am already in season 4.

18. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

+1 Archer is fantastic.
    Rick & Morty is also quite good, though a lot weirder.

Legion was my most recent "that was good" tv show. Highly recommended.
    Before that I think it was The OA, which was also quite good.

I've been watching One Tree Hill with my wife... she likes the dramas. It is watchable, but not something I would seek out on my own. We're in the first season.

19. Ben Gash CLF

UK Netflix has all of it streaming :)

20. Ben Gash CLF

Gave season two of Fargo another go, and I'm glad I did.