Hapkido Check In

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

this is why i hate martial arts.

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

How many people have the same picture of wolverine as their avatar? Has this ever been discussed as being a thing? Why does everyone do this?

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I think we are on the relatively same line of thinking, just arguing semantics

I think the term "traditional" is very tough to use with Korean arts, unless you use a lot of latitude. If you call Hapkido 'traditional', despite its relative newness and its (continued) period of evolution, then Hwarangdo and Kuk Sool Won are pretty much 'as traditional'.

That said, those arts like Hapkido, Hwarangdo, Kuk Sool Won, and even Taekwondo have been around for 50+ years and have a fairly common definition of 'what they are' and what a legit lineage is... I'm "OK" with calling them 'traditional' now.

I think they main difference between 'traditional' and 'non-traditional' is the approach the leaders take in addressing changes in the approach they use. If they try to 'harken back' to their traditions, or if they look to outside sources/more modern approaches marks the distinction well.

4. fcom1844

fcom1844 New Member

Completely agreed with Thomas - the argument is for what is and isn't "traditional" is subjective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.martialarts4all.com

5. jfuk

jfuk New Member

No nonsense HKD... should be called nonsense!

I know this school as I tried it out a while ago and I gotta say I was not too impressed. I have taken other martial arts before, but the teacher and other students were pretty cool and easy to get along with. I have moved to Mississauga and thought I would try this school, but I found nothing but immaturity and little kid-like attitudes, including the teacher Ian Gibbs.

When I told him about these things, the didn't seem to care or mind. He actually got a little upset when I began asking him questions. How pathetic for a teacher. I was a little surprised at his attitude. And he boasted on his website that he got a black belt in Tae kwon do under Master Ooi, from the WTF. When I got suspicious I actually called Master Ooi who told me that he knew of him and, yes, he did train him. But he did NOT give him a black belt! I knew right away this guy Ian is a fraud and phony, and so I got out of there in a hurry.

Others too should be careful. He knows a thing or two about hkd but a true black belt he is not and I can see that. I've also noticed that since then he has taken that claim, (that he has a black belt), off of his website. I guess he is just a business man and a fairly smart one, who doesn't want to get sued.
    Oh well, buyer be ware, as it is said. I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a decent school. Don't go here because you won't get very far, and that's because you can't. A student can only be as good as their teacher.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

the guy is calling his school hapkido yet has no hapkido ranking?

i'm obviously in the wrong business. if this guy can own a school, then there's got to be something i can do with 1st dan hapkido, blue bjj and 6th kyu aikido.

HAP-JU-KI opening up in 2017!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. fcom1844

fcom1844 New Member

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Please forgive me for asking, but a post like this does raise some 'red flags'... your first post (and only) is on the 'Hapkido Check-in' thread to 'call out' a Hapkido school owner as a 'fraud and phony'.

I am curious as to what your Hapkido background is and why you feel the need to make this kind of statement on a general introductory thread. I am sorry, but the tone of your post sounds like a deeper bad-blood connection to this guy than just a 'disappointed in a school I checked out' post.

I could be wrong, of course, and apologize in advance

That said, as an experienced Hapkido student and instructor...
    I like that there are lots of videos on the site, but have to confess that the ones I watched were not terribly impressive.

Looks like he's shooting for a simpler self defense type system but it also looks like he's adding in some kids' stuff and flash to pay the bills.

If I recall, this instructor's name came up a few pages back as a student of GM Hwang In-shik, someone who produces very, very good martial artists. I believe someone said he was an 'orange belt' under Gm Hwang. I do know that GM Hwang's belt system runs a lot slower than most other groups and that an Orange belt probably has 3-5 years of training (or more). I've seen posts that this guy has maintained some sort of connection to GM Hwang.

So... yeah, he does have a legit Hapkido background of at least a few years from a well known instructor, but most likely doesn't have a black belt from him (I seem to recall that GM Hwang gives out very few black belts and only after many, many years of study).

Go ahead.... with the right advertising, you'd probably make money!

10. budoshingikan

budoshingikan New Member

I felt like the nonsene hapkido link was pretty informative. I've even gone as far as to share it with a few of my students.

I personally feel that if someone wants to open a school so long as they've trained for a while it's on them. If they don't know what they're doing it will fail pretty quickly to be honest.

Either way, have a great day guys!

http://www.martialarts-chandler.com