Sports and Energy Drinks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Simon, May 14, 2011.

1. Legattacks

Legattacks New Member

I like to Drink EcoDrink it has 3x the electrolytes as most sports drinks without the sugar or sodium. It really re-hydrates me after my workout and training!!!!

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Simon,

Please tell the folks, in layman's terms, what is meant when a label reads;

"Pre-Digested"

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's not a scary as it sounds.

Pre-digested is a term used for food that has gone through a process of artificial digestion by enzymes. This makes the food, or drink in this case, easier to digest, but you knew that. :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. 47MartialMan

thanks....

i was going too post tech data, but you had simplified it

is it true that one can "drown" if they drink too much water-fluid

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Drinking too much water can lead to a serious imbalance in electrolytes which can, in turn, lead to death:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

It's can be one of the causes of deaths following MDMA (Ecstasy) use, as the drug often makes the user feel very thirsty. It can also occur in endurance sports, partially because of the over-emphasis there has been on the importance of staying 'hydrated' that has been drummed into the public conscious by the adverts for sports drinks.

6. Simon

The University of Bonn has undertaken research into the way caffeine changes the way the heart beats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25156509

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

How fast can you say DUH? Of course they crank up the heart rate, their job is to release adrenaline...

8. Simon

Well done. Thank you for this useful addition.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

10. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I didn't mean it as an attack on anyone, lol, I just couldn't help noticing they're stating the blindingly obvious. XD

11. Simon

An advertising campaign for the drink Lucozade Sport has been banned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25650519

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

About time this sort of dodgy advertising was stopped. Given the number of overweight people in gyms using sports drinks after spending 10 minutes on a treadmill, GSK's claim that
    is obviously not true!

It's lying by omission of the qualifying factors, which is far too common in the media these days - particularly in regards to 'science' reporting.

This made me laugh though - talk about pot and kettle, the bottled water industry is just as bad - particularly those selling 'vitamin' and 'health' waters! :bang:

13. 47MartialMan

Bottled Water----someone ought to sell "Bottled Air"

14. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Well I don't know a lot about a lot, but one thing I do know is this, I haven't drank hardly a single soda or a single sports drink in almost six months and I've been working out now everyday for the past year and at the age of nearly forty I have a six pack on a good day and I can now run three to five miles at a time let me add that I'm knocking out about ten to twelve pull-ups and about forty five or so knuckle push-ups in under two minutes, and if I never ever drank a sports drink I don't think it would hinder me one single bit.

15. GraysonPhillips30

GraysonPhillips30 New Member

I try to stay away from sports drinks and energy drinks because of the high sugar content. I find carbs make me put on weight right away so I try to keep them to a minimum.

16. Acesty6

Acesty6 New Member

is there anything you can recommend that i can add to water so it will be not that boring to drink hope there is we have energy drinks but how this product makes us dehydrated while it says that its for dehydration this make me sick

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Squirt of lemon can help, but honestly its usually just a case of getting used to it and drinking

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Scotch helps.

axelb, Dead_pool and Van Zandt like this.
  19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I empathise. I can stomach bottled water only when I'm thirsty and tap water makes me retch. I put a bit of zero sugar fruit cordial (squash) in my water bottle to make it palatable. Nothing wrong with that.

axelb likes this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I literally cannot fathom not drinking water. It's...water.

Pretty In Pink likes this.