are there any video recording of General Choi doing patterns?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by McCririck, Jun 25, 2005.

1. McCririck

McCririck New Member

It would be interesting to see exactly how he did them.

2. Qdmasta

Qdmasta Valued Member

I'd be interested to see this as well. I've looked all over and have had no luck with this. It's hard for me to even find many pictures of him demonstrating techiniques, let alone downloadable videos. Maybe I suck at using Google or something.

3. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

The General Demonstrates...

Dear Sir,

I am unaware of any media that contains General Choi performing the hungs (tul) per say...

However, there is a series of training tapes filmed in the DPRK (mid 90's I believe) which contain the General demonstrating several portions of several patterns. One of these training tapes shows General Choi (at approx 75) preforming face high kicks and the jumping punches of the specific hyung. Also there are seminars hosted by Hwang Kwang Sung that posses much the same technical footage!

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

4. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

I remember seeing images of seminars where whilst he was still requiring nose tubes (just before his passing), he was pulling off high twisting kicks, something many younger and more flexible students today still can't do.

5. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

I never saw a video of General Choi doing patterns, just single techniques.

I suppose there were two sets of ITF training tapes filmed in Korea. The first one was filmed in the 80's and has Masters like Park Jung Tae, Choi Jung Hwa and a whole group of "1st generation" North Korean instructors like Chon Dae Yong. There is also footage from old competitions included. A bonus was a North Korean music resembling the one used in Soviet propaganda films and also some additional sound effects a la old Hong Kong movies "BANG! WHAM!". The second sed was indeed filmed in the 90's and named something like "TKD - The Present Generation Art of Self-Defence". It had a bit more Western look and started with a guy coming to a TKD school to sign up...

I still prefer the 1st set due to all the big names in...

Gizmo

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Boy, the ITF could make a fortune if they had films like these....

7. McCririck

McCririck New Member

I find it quite amazing that he was never filmed doing patterns. Why not???

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I know, it seems like if he is the "father" of TKD, then there should be some documentation of everything.