General Choi, Hong Hi

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by waya, Jun 17, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

For those who haven't heard, General Choi, Hong Hi passed away Saturday, June 15th in Pyong Yang in North Korea.

Rob

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I come home from a trip to find this out. For all of you that study the forms of ITF TKD, you know of this man. He lived his life through the tenets of TKD and will be missed.
    TAEKWON
    (bows)
    Chazz

3. waya

waya Valued Member

As a follow up to this post.
    Anyone who can get their hands on it should pick up the Sept issue of Tae Kwon Do Times. It has a really nice writeup on Gen Choi and his funeral, along with a biography of his life listed. Grandmaster Chung Kim and his staff did a really nice job putting it in the publication.

Rob

4. Chazz

YES Everyone needs to do that. I got it the day they put it out and it was great.

5. darlph

darlph New Member

I agree. Good article and to the point about his life and times.
    He is missed by all.

6. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger New Member

Is it on the internet anywhere? And does anyone know what the situation of ITF is at hte moment?

7. waya

waya Valued Member

The article isn't posted online. You can visit the website and maybe find out about getting a copy at http://www.taekwondotimes.com/ I think they can export the magazine or subscriptions, or I can find out in Oct and maybe obtain extra copies while I am up there for a week. I'll be visiting Grandmaster Kim's school if I can work it into my schedule seeing family there.

Rob

8. waya

waya Valued Member

9. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger New Member

Thanks for that info. And I've just found quite a bit of info at a website called Rayners Land Taekwon-do academy.

10. Sabaki

Sabaki New Member

hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Does anyone know who is taking over from the General as head man?

I've heard different stories and rumours over problems in the higher ranks over the future organization of ITF as a whole.

11. waya

waya Valued Member

So far as I have seen, his son is running everything now.

12. dragon_duplicat

dragon_duplicat New Member

I didnt know much about him. But reading the article put him as a nice guy.

13. Chazz

AD is just about right. The Generals son has now started his own ITF org called ITF America. They and their ranks are not seen in the eyes of the ITF (the original) The General was said to have told his son that the Org would be turned over to him but there was a meeting in Vienna where certain ITF members were not allowed to be there or invited. There and then a vote was cast to let the general keep his place as the President and not let his son take over. Jung Hwa (the son) was made and a lot was said and done. The General kick him out of the ITF for what he had done.
    Take from The Generals last words....
    "Choi Jung Hwa lied me at the airport. I was again deceived. You ought to tell the public throughout the internet that I did not forgive Jung Hwa. I forgave him as a father but the Taekwondoists would never forgive him.

Before Jung Hwa apologizes Taekwondoists the world over, he will never be forgiven. While I am still alive you should send the message to the internet the soonest as possible.
    The Taekwon-Do will exist forever."

Right now the battle for the Top spot in the ITF in still going crazy. You have Jung Hwa but said that he should be the one because thats the way it was set up, you have Mr. Chang Ung who general Choi said that he wanted to place as the top guy, and then you have Russell MacLellan who is the President as the moment and says that Chang Ung should not be the president right but because even though the general wanted Chang Ung to take over it was not voted in the the ITF congress so she should not get the job YET. He said that he had to problem with him taking over the spot but it should be done right and have him voted in.

14. Labatt

Labatt New Member

The creator of TKD?
    How come you guys said only ITF would know him? What about WTF ppl like me? Do we have a general, wasn't he all of TKD's General?

How good was he? As a TKD Martial Artist.

I got alot of questions.

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<The creator of TKD?
    How come you guys said only ITF would know him? What about WTF ppl like me? Do we have a general, wasn't he all of TKD's General?>

Labatt from wat i heard from WTF guys(here in india) they don't like to associate themselves with Gen.(politics??) anyways... he was a great man(i heard)

<How good was he? As a TKD Martial Artist.>

my teacher is one of the fastest and powerful guy in india...n best of them too..
    he said that Gen was almost manyyy times faster n powerfull than him when he met Gen, Gen was around 78-79 yr old.
    -TkdWarrior-

16. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Hmmm, I don't like being divided.

TKD is TKD.

I would of loved to met the creator of it.

What's the big deal between ITF and WTF???
    Why are we divided, just because of political reasons?

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Why are we divided, just because of political reasons?

basically yes... it happened when korea wanted TKD as complete sport n Gen was against it. so he split(this is just an idea, it hav lot other things in background)
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Labatt

Labatt New Member

If you know more stuff TKDwarrior, please tell me.

19. Cain

Cain New Member

Hehe, that could take upto 50 more posts to squeeze all that knowledge out of his brain :D

|Cain|

20. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

From what i know WTF was created in america to be used as a sport for the olympics, they have choosen not to use the techniques layed down by the general, they dont use any of the origional patters. It is much more of a sport than an art. Infact i've heard a few people say that they only thing ITF and WTF share is the name TaeKwon Do.