A question about Liuhebafa

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Rijell, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Rijell

Rijell New Member

Hello,
    My teacher has me studying this form. I learned it from our Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong. He told my Master that this is a form comprised of 6 different systems with 8 techniques that are universal. However, after researching this on the web, I find that 6 harmonies refers more to various theories of training the mind or harmonizing the body parts (hands to feet, elbows to knees, shoulders to hips, etc). Does anyone know what the general consensus is about the 6 harmonies and 8 techniques? I have found 2 places that actually name the 8 techniques, but the 6 harmonies are kind of up in the air from what I can see. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

They bombed a lot of Allies during the War.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

The 6 external harmonies are:
    Hips and Shoulders
    Knees and Elbows
    Feet and Hands

The 6 internal harmonies are:
    The spirit harmonizes with the intention.
    The intention harmonizes with the breath
    The breath harmonizes with the movement.

4. Rijell

Rijell New Member

Are you a practitioner of lhbf? Can I ask where you learned that from? It is interesting to see an answer close to what I'm thinking.

5. Dan Bian

The internal & external harmonies are a common thread through the internal arts - particularly in Xingyi Quan, which is where a lot of my understanding comes from, along with Taijiquan.

6. Rijell

Rijell New Member

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it!

7. Dan Bian

No worries :)

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

LHBF itself is mainly a combo of Hsing I, Pa Kua,and T'ai Chi. Good for you to look into things yourself,sometimes our teachers are "stuck" in what they've been told-whether it's accurate or no.

I would like to know what "universal" techniques are.

:confused:Chadderz-I didn't understand your remark at all.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

10. Rijell

Rijell New Member

El Medico,

Do you know what the 6 harmonies and 8 techniques are? Have you studied LHBF? Just curious. Thank you for your response!

11. Dan Bian

I've heard of the 8 jin being referred to as the "8 universal techniques" before. This could also be applied to the 8 mother palms of baguazhang.

Not sure how this idea could be mapped onto xingyi.. :confused:

12. Rijell

Rijell New Member

Dan,

I haven't heard of the 8 jin. What are they?

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well, that's stretching an attempted pun.Works rhythmically if you drag out the 2nd syllable in Luftwaffe,tho'.

Never studied it.One of my teachers was the 1st person in the US to learn the main form,but he gave it up.

Anyway,here's a link the site of Chan,Yick-yan's succesor explaining what you wish to know about.
    As Chan was recognized as the head of the system when I was young I would take any explanations from there as The Gospel According to LHBF.

(Just don't buy the "fairy tale" history of the system).

http://www.liuhopafa.com/art3.htm