MAP Twitter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Gary, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Some of you may have noticed a few links on the site for MAP on Twitter, a new way to get information on some of the news and latest threads about MAP. Feel free to follow us if you use the service!

It's still in it's infancy at the moment, but that's where you guys come in. We're looking for interesting threads on MAP, preferably not from Off Topic, that would generate interest for the site.

Post thread titles and links to the first page below, though no posts concerning your personal opinions of sites like twitter please.

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Seeing how I'm an old fart, what the heck is Twitter??

3. Topher

Topher allo!

It's a micro-blogging service. You get 140 characters to say what you want. You follow people; people follow you. If you've used Facebook it's like status updates.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

What Topher said, it can be used for a lot of things though this is very personal. Some people use it to follow celebrities, some people use it as a form of RSS or news feed and other people use it to promote.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't understand the purpose of having a MAP Twitter thingy. Is it so that we can go there to talk about MAP? Or is it an alternative to posting here?

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think it's more to alert people to what's happening in the world of MAP - a sort of "Hey, we're talking about this, come and join in".

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Isn't it easier just to look on MAP? Or is this aimed at people who perhaps don't regularly sign in, but who regularly use Twitter?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Get with it grandad.*

*I don't really get twitter either. :(

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've never looked at it. It just seems like another way of eating up the hours in the day. I realise that you could say that about any form of online activity, but there seems to be something particularly pointless about Twitter.

I have used the GTA V equivalent. I think it's called Bleeter.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't feel bad guys, I'm only 26 and when I find myself on a Twitter page I get the stank face. I hate how it always asks me to join when I just want to see a page, and then all the new icons and buttons I would have to learn . . . . yuck. :p

I think Twitter is supposed to be more superficial than Facebook, a more appropriate place for a "going to the gym," "just got back from the gym," "look at these awesome shoes I just bought!" type posting. Obviously with a group/organization it'll be more oriented towards that. I don't think it's a bad thing for MAP to have as many people are interested in Twitter, but it's ok if it's not your kind of thing. :p

12. Simon

Twitter for many is a second option and is sometimes more professional than Facebook.

Facebook for the fun stuff, Twitter for the business stuff for example.

We won't interact as much on Twitter, but we can post videos, links to the better discussions we have, information on the MAP Meet etc.

All stuff that diverts traffic back here.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Exactly that, I think. And people who may not be members but are interested in martial arts and, if they see a conversation that interests them, might be tempted to come and join in.

14. Simon

In the last 6 months we've gained another 1000 followers.

I know a lot of you don't use it, but the better stories, pictures and fights on MAP are promoted on Twitter, so thank you and keep it up.