Charley Burley - Watch and learn

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, May 11, 2017.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

My instructor, Hannibal, has just shared this with me.

Take 8 minutes out of your life to get one of the best lessons you've ever had.

This is awesome on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As I said to you when I sent the link its a video I watch at least once a week - I get something new every single time, it is SUCH a goldmine

Charles Burley was one of the "Murderers Row" and considered the finest amongst that elite group of fighters. This fight is sadly the ONLY footage we have of Burley in existence...imagine how much we have missed out on from this amazing fighter

Now if you'll excuse me I have to watch it again.....

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cool video! So he didn't teach when he finished fighting?

4. Hannibal

5. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Nice Vid.

Sort of reminds me of this article I came across a couple of days ago:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/2...va-liddell-pacquiao-fight-technique-gif-guard

basically goes through the thinking behind guards in MMA and boxing, and how by keeping one hand in front (sometimes lowered) you can keep a more visible deterrent should people try to shoot for a takedown, making the opponent earn his advance into your distance.

As for the classic boxing position feel that perhaps the slightly squarer guard with the hands high allows perhaps greater (or easier?) power generation, from the waist and hips particularly for hooks and upper cuts.

However blading up and keeping the head off centre is definitely a must if you end up on the ropes. It might be better for those who are confident in if they possess elusive footwork ringcraft. Many boxers hate to cede the centre.

6. Hannibal

The classic position is derived more from the BK era IMO...possibly the squarer stance in the "modern" style came about as the gloves and wraps changed to protect the hands meaning you can "dig" a bit more

A theory of mine :)

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

nice video. thank you for sharing.

8. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

It's nice to see a thread made about this video.

First time I watched it was in this very forum, when I first joined here and it was probably what got me interested in boxing in the first place.

There is a reason Botta Dritta finds that article similar to the video.
    Ruebusch's mentor, trainer Luis Monda, is Daði Ástþórsson's (the creator of the video) business partner. They share the same ideas and approach.

Today there are many good boxing analysts, but the two gentlemen I mentioned above are not simply guys with a good eye and understanding. They build fighters and instil these attributes and philosophies to them.
    Not to mention that Astthorsson's influence to the many breakdown videos that are made today, is more than apparent.

For anyone who wants to learn more about the principles and ideas of that
    video here is an interview of Astthorsson in the heavyhands podcast: http://heavyhandspodcast.com/13-dadi-astthorsson-interview
    I am sure you will find it very interesting.

There is a link of one of his fighters in it, too. Look at her stance. Doesn't it seem familiar? :)

For what it's worth, the fighting tradition of Burley still lives on today.
    The best technicians that came along after him, like Hopkins, Mike Mccallum, James Toney, Sweat Pea, Mayweather etc are guys that both their movement and stances are
    based on the same sound mechanics and strategies.

I think the main reason the high guard has become prominent in today's boxing ("strangely" enough not in the elite pro level) has more to do with a drop in the quality of teaching and popularity of the sport than anything else.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  9. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

That video is always top notch viewing.

10. Hazzard

Hazzard New Member

Interesting.

Hannibal and I were talking about this very thing 2 days ago.

11. Hannibal

indeed we were!

I forgot to show you the vid! Will makes sure I inform you of them any time we discuss it in a class you don;t make

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey,

Saw this yesterday and just logged in to say thanks! Played with it last night.
    I'm nicking it as it fits and combines great with MMA as mentioned by Botta and the guard I've already been using.

Keeping your weight back as well as the forward hand position is really nice. Last time I sparred my coach (former UFC fighter) he caught me several times with his leg shots. I've been working on my sprawling as I was a little out of practice, but I think this will actually help a lot. With your front leg empty/ light it feels easier to sprawl the front foot/leg quicker, as well as having the hand already there - probably the most vital part. If you aren't quite fast enough with the leg(s), getting some contact in at that height quickly should be really helpful.

So yeah, this is very cool
    thanks Simon and Hannibal

Last edited: May 24, 2017