What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

2. Boxing24

Boxing24 Banned Banned

maths books

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm currently rereading Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams, and also dipping into Myths & Legends of the Celtic Race by TW Rolleston (free on Kindle)

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The Faith Healers - James Randi

Actually read it before but rereading it makes me shake my head at the criminality some of the US Churches are allowed to get away with because they hide behind religion

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm reading "Notorious - The Life and Fights of Conor Mcgregor" by Jack Slack. Good so far. Nice little asides into technique, stances, combative concepts, etc.

6. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Reading Seige by Tad Williams, Scott Rodell's translation of Cheng Zong You's Long Sabre Techniques Anthology and The 360 Degree leader as I have a job interview next week.
    Inspired by my earlier reading on Celtic mythology I binged on a couple of Slaine trade collections too.

8. kandi

kandi Valued Member

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Fareed Zakaria's The Post-American World. Seems blindingly optimistic and outdated and only nine years old at that. Sigh :[

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"The Dream of Reason: A History of Philosophy From the Greeks to the Renaissance" by Anthony Gottlieb.

Have to balance the "Percy Jackson" series that I was reading earlier in the year. :D

11. philosoraptor

12. aikiMac

LOL! Maybe in a few years! I've actually been collecting, from used books stores, a set of philosophy books that in total would equate to more than a bachelor degree in philosophy. As of this week I pretty much have it now. My intent is to read them in chronological order, and thus effectively homeschool myself. :D :D

13. philosoraptor

I've been trying to look up the book syllabi for different classes for the same reason. This was one of the one's my favorite philosophy prof issued for PHIL101. Oh, when you're ready, I have a book by another professor I loved that is a radical reconceptualizing of Plato that makes a TON of sense when you very closely read it. We should make a thread about The Republic :p

Edit: Thinking about it, that first professor, Michael McCarthy, had a great book comparing Plato to Arendt.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  14. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

Rereading "Relentless" by Tim Grover, pretty good book

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm reading "Extinction" by Kazuaki Takano.
    Compared to the other books I listed here, at least it sounds like a smart book ;)

Well, it's only a thriller, but I think it's pretty good.
    It makes me keep reading and I have a tough time putting it aside.
    It's a rather easy writing stlyle (some of the pharmaceutic infos are rather difficult, but you don't have to understand them entirely), which had some people complain, but I don't mind.

It has an interesting topic and some nice ways to connect the people in the book, so it actually makes sense.

16. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon, I'm finding it interesting so far although it seems a little dated... I'm about a 1/4 in hope it gets better but so far it's a little "meh".

17. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

18. coyotehunter

coyotehunter New Member

Just finished 2700 miles by Norbert Reichert. Excellent, kinda Mad Max post apocalyptic type. Bought his other book The Elevatorguy

19. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

On kindle i am currently reading: "Methods of persuasion" by nick Kolenda, "Complete calisthenics" by Ashley Kalym "Buddhism: Buddhism for beginners.." by Gabriel Shaw And for paper books, I am reading Plato's "the republic, "Rough guide to Psychology", Max hastings "Nemesis" and "Fahrenheit 451" by ray Bradbury. I have also just finished the last volume I own of "Attack on Titan". I Have not finished any of these due to the fact i am switching between them when I am in a reading mood. I have a lot more but these are the ones I am actively reading at the moment. All seem pretty good, i will get back to you on the fitness ones if i get more educated on the matter. I am a semi-impulsive reader and am getting back into it after many years from not reading books.

20. aikiMac

LOL, you are awesome! :D I've been slowly (because I can't read every night) working through "The dream of reason: A history of western philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance" by Anthony Gottlieb, courtesy of my local library. :D