Silat Training in New York City

Discussion in 'Silat' started by TheHandle, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TheHandle

TheHandle New Member

I am currently looking for places to train in Silat in NYC but am having trouble finding information. There does not seem like there are a lot of offerings and any information is scarce. In addition, what I can find seems to be outdated.

2. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I have been living with that problem in Boston for a while myself.It may be time to relocate.

3. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

4. Bodhisattva123

Bodhisattva123 New Member

There is a legitimate, direct lineage, pukulan Pentak Silat study group in NYC. Our teachers had been studying with Pendekar Paul de thouars for a more than 25 years before his passing. We are no ego, no politics, serious training minded folks...and very friendly... : ). Please email for more info. Please note, dabblers seeking entertainment will be shown the door.

..."use your other hand and Burn them with your lighter!"...one answer to the question of what to do if enemy has a perfect lock on one arm.

5. SGmanuts

SGmanuts New Member

Hi Bodhisattva,
    Is this information still valid? How can I join this group? Please let me know.

6. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

i think NYC has a few silat groups trainign now.. Silat suffian bela diri has one, SSBD, and there is probably a PDT bukti negara group there.

Taoizt is a member of the Dutch group so he would be able to point you at the right place or message me back and i will contact the americans i know

7. SGmanuts

SGmanuts New Member

Thank you glennlobo,
    The SSBD group is not meeting regularly. I have also tried contacting Robert Hillard from the Kuno Silat group, but there is no response. I am not sure is he is teaching anymore.
    Guro Yana, is also in the city trying, very un-successfully, to put together a class. The problem with him is that, he goes to Indonesia often so he loses momentum and continuity. I appreciate your assistance greatly.

8. Bodhisattva123

Bodhisattva123 New Member

Hi sgmantus,

I believe Robert's contact information on the website is correct. I am not sure how to give you more information... Moderator how can this person contact me within the rules of this forum?

Hormat

9. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Send him a PM maybe?

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Neither have enough posts.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

SGmantus, click on my username and there is a link to send me an email.

Forward me your details and I'll pass them on. Bodhisattva will then be able to email you directly.

12. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

As for a PDT Bukti Negara school, there is no school directly in New York City that i know of. We do have a guy in Cortland, NY State, Andrew Astle. You can contact him through our website. He is fairly active online so you might have a good chance of contacting him.

KunoSilat is also a good school if you look for a style linked to the Paul de Thouars lineage, we are as well, it's just different flavours. Too bad you can't get into contact yet until now.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Ron

13. KunoNYC

KunoNYC New Member

There is now a response posted for the questions about Kuno NYC.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  14. KunoNYC

KunoNYC New Member

Kuno NYC

This is a representative from Kuno NYC. We heard about your concern and have reached out to Robert. He has confirmed that his contact information on the Kuno site is correct. Please feel free to reach out to him.

15. A.F.D.

A.F.D. New Member

KUNO SILAT in Queens

Training group approved by Guru Danny Huybrechts, nephew of Pendekar Paul Dethouars, to start in Semangat Baru, new name,new spirit,same art as Bukti Negara, for the Queens Kuno Martial Arts Academy. Training is at a gym in Bayside , Queens,NY. Classes are daytime and evening. For anyone interested in training at this location, please contact me for details through this site. I'm new to Martial Arts Planet, so hopefully I'm following the correct protocol.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  16. ThomasTedsmall

ThomasTedsmall Banned Banned

I am going to be in New York very soon. If you had to suggest one fabric store that has quality fabric not overly expensive Which store do you suggest?
    Thanks

17. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Uhhhmmmm, why do you post this in the silat section?

18. chiburi

chiburi New Member

Hello. I live in Jackson Heights Queens and was hoping to get some class times and cost if possible. Thanks.

19. A.F.D.

A.F.D. New Member

Kuno Martial Arts Queens

Training group in Ultimate Fitzone in Bayside , daytime & evening sessions. Contact info is on the Kuno Silat website. Thank you.

20. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

I recently hosted Guru Tua Tim Anderson from Kuno Silat Ohio in Central NY (Cortland) for a weekend seminar. I met Robert at our event and would encourage anyone looking for high quality silat in NYC to train with him.