Shu's Training Journal (or "Old Man Kung Fu")

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by InkyTommy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Agreed. Never hurts to go back and revisit the basics, especially the more advanced one becomes.

2. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

This class was equal parts assault on our legs and our minds...

Warm Up and Technique:
    -High Heel Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick, alternating sides
    -Outside Crescent Kicks, Jumping Outside Crescent Kicks, alternating sides
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Spinning Inside Crescent Kick
    -Spinning Outside Crescent Kick, Jumping Spinning Outside Crescent Kick
    -Round House Kick, Spinning Round House Kick, Spinning Round House Kick
    -Cyclonic Kicks (three in a row)
    -Low Stance Jumps
    -Grass Cutters (don't ask...)
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 10
    -Tricep Push Ups - 10
    -Wide Palm Push Ups - 10
    -Spider-Man Push Ups - 10
    -Back Bend Push Ups -10
    -Dive Bomber Push Ups - 10
    -Endurance Push Ups - 10

Forms:
    -Staff (twice with all the Blue Belts)
    -San Lei Keun (all the Blue Belts...learned three more moves and we're about three moves from the end)

Notes:
    -412 calories burned at average heart rate of 107 BPM and a max heart rate of 137 BPM
    -I actually pulled off a fairly decent Cyclonic Kick!
    -And with the Four Kicks I now merely feel like an old man doing them as opposed to someone who can't do them at all.
    -I also realized that San Lei Keun is a really short form. It just seems to have taken us a year to learn it.

3. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Really fun class tonight. Everybody was in a great mood and had the right frame of mind (which was to learn and have fun). No one was showboating or trying prove anything.

We started off with some punch kick combos to warm up.

Then we did some footwork/evasion drills. The goal in these was to avoid getting hit without retreating. So we worked on either stepping off to the side and moving inside or outside...but always forward.

After a few rounds of this, we put on our sparring gear and tried it for real. It's amazing how what you've learned goes immediately out the window when the pressure is on!

I have a tendency to scoot back and skip forward after my opponent's done with his/her combinations. After after awhile, I was able to pull this off almost naturally.

We also tried to spar without resorting to our usual "bag of tricks". for instance, I have my "fake retreat, spinning back fist move" (which by now, everybody sees coming). Another classmate of mine draws people in then hits them with a mid-level side kick.

So he and I went a couple of rounds and made a conscious effort NOT to resort to our usual repertoire. It was...challenging (but fun).

Notes:
    -Burned off 458 calories at an average heart rate of 118 BPM and a max of 160 BPM
    -Apparently those killer leg workouts from earlier this week shook something loose. Because that perpetual pain in my left hip is completely gone! And I was actually able to pull off some fast and powerful kicks.
    -Man...hope I didn't just jinx myself...:eek:

4. InkyTommy

Training Time: Fun with Forms; Part Deux -Electric Boogaloo: The Sequel

Ran through my forms again. This time with much better results.

-One Foot Stance - 5/side
    -High Heel Kick - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick - 10/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick - 10/side
    -Forms
    • Sei Fon Sei Bei
    • Keun Lei Keun
    • Taijin Keun
    • Chong Keun
    • Staff
    • Sam Lei Keun
    -Heavy Bag - 10 min
    • Front Roundhouse Kicks
    • Ax Kick
    • Combos
    -Horse Stance Stretch
    -Low Stance Stretch

Notes:
    -305 calories burned at an average heart rate of 112 BPM and a max of 136 BPM
    -MUCH better job with the forms this time! Everything came back almost 100%
    -Did forget one part of Chong Keun (which is kind of sad since it's my favorite form so far). But it came back pretty quickly
    -I'm clearly doing something funky with my kicks, because the quasi-persistent hip/booty injury is back. Actually had to pop an Ibuprofin after the workout.
    -Not sure what exactly is causing it (though it feels like a pinched nerve), but hopefully Kung Fu class can help straighten it out again.

5. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Sifu's out of town for the next couple of weeks. So Sihing Mike ran the class. I like his classes because he's older than me and likes his warm ups!

Here's how it went down:

Warm Up
    -Should Rotations - Forward/Backwards
    -Hip Rotations - Forward/Backwards
    -Waist Rotations - Forward/Backwards
    -Knee Rotations - Forward/Backwards
    -Bow Stance Stretch (each sides)
    -Horse Stance Stretch
    -Low Stance Stretch (each side)
    -Half Split Stretch (each side)
    -Standing Split
    -Downward Dog Stretch
    -Downward Dog Push Ups - 12

Bag Work (see notes)
    -Rear Leg Roundhouse Kick - 3 x 3 per leg
    -Steal Step Side Kick - 3 x 3 per leg
    -Back Fist, Ax Kick - 3 x 3 per side
    -Inside Crescent Kick - 3 x 3 per side

Forms
    -Sam Lei Keun

Notes:
    -295 calories burned at an average heart rate of 96 BPM and a max of 136 BPM
    -For the bag drills, six of us stood around a free-standing bag with a water-filled base and took turns around the circle. We did three kicks per side for three rounds, with each one focusing on technique, speed and power, respectively.
    -Pinched nerve/pulled muscle in my left hip/booty put a severe dent in my kicking ability. Still...I got some decent power from my roundhouse kicks.
    -Side kicks are still another story. But they are improving slowly...

6. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Another class with Sihing Mike, which is always fun because he just makes it up as he goes.

So NO ONE knows what to expect.

Not even Sihing Mike.

Here's the skinny:

Warm Up:
    -Arm Circles (forward & backwards)
    -Shoulder Rotations (forwards & backwards)
    -Waist Rotations (forwards & backwards)
    -Knee Rotations (forwards & backwards)
    -Lunging Stretch (both sides)
    -Half Split (both sides)
    -Pigeon Stretch (both sides)
    -Standing Split
    -High Heel Kicks (focus on a quick return)
    -Across the Body High Heel Kicks
    -Behind the Shoulder High Heel Kick
    -Steal Step Side Kick
    -Punch, Kick, Punch
    -Punch, Kick, Side Kick
    -Punch, Kick, Side Kick, Side Kick
    -Back Fist, Reverse Punch
    -Back Fist, Reverse Punch, Scraping Punch, Spinning Back Fist (focus on speed)
    -Dynamic Tension Push
    -Sit-Up Punches - 35
    -Back Extensions - 35

Forms:
    -Sam Lei Keun (together as a class)
    -Staff (Blue Belts Only)
    -Sam Lei Keun (Blue Belts Only)

Notes:
    -453 calories burned at an average heart rate of 106 BPM and a max of 140 BPM
    -After completing Sam Lei Keun, I've realized it's a very short form. But it has some tricky moves in it (Four Kicks, Straddle Split Landing and Cyclonic Kick)
    -I can actually complete the form. It's just not pretty.

7. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Tag Team class between Sihing Payam and Sihing Mike. Nice change of pace. Here's how it went down...

Warm Up:
    -One Foot Stance - 5/side
    -Straddle Split
    -Horse Stance Stretch
    -Bow Stance Stretch
    -Cat Stance Squats - 10/side
    -Horse Stance Stretch
    -Straddle Split
    -Pike Stretch
    -Low Stance Squats - 10/side
    -High Heel Kicks - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kicks - 10/side
    -Outside Crescent Kicks - 10/side
    -Front Slap Kicks - 10/side

Pad Drills:(One person holding pads, the other person kicking while moving down the length of the studio)
    -Rear Leg Round House Kick (both sides)
    -Steal Step Side Kick (both sides)

Forms:
    -Sam Lei Keun (as a class)
    -Sam Lei Keun (Blue Belts)

Notes:
    -445 calories burned at an average heart rate of 110 BPM and a max of 136 BPM
    -Roundhouse Kicks are getting better with more power (although, I did sneak an occasional Muay Thai kick in there. Sihing Mike didn't seem to mind)
    -Side Kicks are getting better. I still have a tendency to do more of a Mule Kick. But my classmates are slowly breaking me of that habit.
    -I think I can pull off the Four Kicks in Sam Lei Keun. My new nemesis however...The Cyclonic Kick! :bang:

8. InkyTommy

Training Time!

Decided to hit the gym because I'm getting kind of flabby. Here's how it went down:

-Close Grip/Palms Facing Pull Ups - 10 x 4
    -BOSU Ball Push Ups - 10 x 4
    -Downward Dog Push Ups - 10 x 4
    -Standing Squats - 10 x 4
    -Precision Jumps - 10 (4.5 to 5 ft)
    -Side Hip Stretch - 3/side
    -Cobra
    -Horse Stance Stretch - 3

Notes:
    -181 calories burned at an average heart rate of 101 BPM and a max of 136 BPM
    -Left booty muscle started acting up again, which limited my Precision Jumps. Of course, the second I left the gym, the pain was gone. Psychosomatic?! Maybe...

9. Martinroy

Martinroy Valued Member

Thnx for sharing...
    Nice post...

10. InkyTommy

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

11. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Another Sihing Mike special. I like these because we never know what to expect. Which, he admitted, is his plan.

Warm Up:
    -Neck Circles (clockwise and counter-)
    -Neck Stretch (side to side)
    -Shoulder Rotations (clockwise and counter-)
    -Lateral Arm Stretches
    -Side Arm Stretches
    -Inward Wrist Stretches
    -Outward Wrist Stretches
    -Wrist Rolls
    -Waist Rotations (clockwise and counter-)
    -Ankle Rolls (clockwise and counter)

Technique:
    -Two Punches - 10
    -Four Punches - 10
    -Six Punches - 10
    -Leopard Fist Punch, Outer Block, Leopard Punch Down, Inner Block - 10
    -White Crane Punches - 10
    -Front Leg Round House Kicks - 10
    -Front Foot Sweeps
    -Inside Crescent Kicks, Jumping Spinning Inside Crescent Kicks
    -Four Kicks
    -Circular Run, Block, Punch
    -Circular Run, Block, Punch, Butterfly Kick
    -Circular Run, Block, Punch, Butterfly Kick, Continuous Butterfly Kick

Forms:
    -Sam Lei Keun (as a class)
    -Sam Lei Keun (Blue Belts Only)
    -Staff (me all by my lonesome)

Notes:
    -322 calories at an average heart rate of 96 BPM and a max of 136 BPM
    -We actually did about four different kinds of wrist stretches. Sihing explained that these were essential for joint locks and joint lock evasions.
    -During the "Technique" part, Sihing Mike picked people at random and asked what they wanted to work on. It was a nice fresh way to engaging the class!
    -The Front Round House and inside Crescent, Jump Spinning Inside Crescent were my contributions.
    -The "Circular Runs" were a very Mizhou way of winding up for a mobile attack (usually some kind of jumping kick) and then launching into it.

12. InkyTommy

Training Time!

-Heavy Bag - Punch Combos - 7 minutes
    -High Heel Kicks - 10/side
    -Heavy Bag - Punch/Kick Combos - 8 minutes
    -Close Grip Chin Ups - 10 x 4
    -Walking Push Ups - 10 x 4
    -Cat Stance Squats - 10 x 2
    -Kung Fu One-Legged Squats - 10
    -Standing Splits - 2
    -Child Pose (yoga stretch) - 2
    -Cobra - 2
    -Horse Stance - 2 min

Notes:
    -315 calories burned at an average heart rate of 110 BPM and a max of 136 BPM
    -Worked mostly on the rotational movement for the punches for both Left Lead and Right Lead Stances. Finally getting a decent right cross!
    -Practiced Front and Rear Leg Round House Kick combs. Left Round House is starting to gain some height and power.

13. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Sifu's back! And he had a whole new bag of tricks to try out on the class. Here's how it went down:

Warm Up:
    Pffft! There's no "warm up" in Kung Fu II!

Technique:
    -High Heel Kick, continuous, alternating sides
    -Inside Crescent Kick, continuous, alternating sides
    -Outside Crescent Kick, continuous, alternating sides
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Same Leg Side Kick
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Same Leg Hook Kick
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Spinning Inside Crescent Kick, alternating sides
    -Push Ups - 10
    -Rear Round House Kick, Spinning Heel Kick
    -Rear Round House Kick, Spinning Heel Kick, Jumping Rear Round House Kick
    -Push Ups - 10
    -Rear Round House Kick, Jump, Spinning Round House Kick
    -Spinning Outside Crescent Kick, Jump Spinning Outside Crescent Kick
    -Push Ups - 10
    -Half Front Foot Sweep, alternating sides
    -Half Front Foot Sweep with no hands, alternating sides
    -Jump, Block, Bow Stance, Rear Foot Sweep
    -Bow Stance Run, Upper Cuts
    -Bow Stance Run, Palm Strike
    -Mizhong Jump,Kick

Forms:
    -Staff (all the Blue Belts)
    -Sam Lei Keun (all the Blue Belts)

Notes:
    -549 calories burned at an average heart rate of 110 BPM and a max of 153 BPM
    -Jump spinning kicks are getting better. But I find I'm not swinging my leg high enough for the second kick. I'm too focused on the jump spin and am not giving myself time for the kick.
    -Need to do it slowly and break it down into sections; kick, land, spin, jump, kick.
    -Also need to just practice swinging my legs up so I can let the kicks go.
    -I have both forms down. Staff looks pretty good. For Sam Lei Keun I just need to shore up the Four Kicks and the Cyclonic Kick.

14. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

-High Heel Kick, continuous, alternating sides
    -Inside Crescent Kick, continuous, alternating sides
    -Outside Crescent Kick, continuous, alternating sides
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Same Leg Side Kick
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Rear Leg Round House Kick
    -Back Fist, Steal Step Side Kick, Jumping Hook Kick, Round House Kick
    -Punch, Kick, Three Running Punches, Jumping Front Kick
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Spinning Inside Crescent Kick
    -Butterfly Kick
    -Sit Up Punches - 25
    -Back Extensions - 35
    -Forms
    • Sam Lei Keun (the whole class)
    • Staff (the whole class)
    • Sam Lei Keun (li'l ol' me)

Notes:
    -447 calories burned with an average heart rate of 116 BPM and a max of 151 BPM
    -Since I was the only Blue Belt there tonight, I had the rare privilege of working on Sam Lei Keun one on one with Sifu!
    -It was actually extremely enlightening (and little scary), but thanks to his guidance, my form is really improving.

Sifu Quote of the Night: "Move like lightening then be still like a mountain."

15. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Sifu had to split early, so Sihing Mike led the class. I always love it when he teaches because no one knows what he's going to do...least of all Sihing Mike!

Since Mike's around my age, he always starts with a gentle old man warm up (joint rotations, arm swings, hip and waist rotations, etc).

Then we moved on to some basic combinations and two man drills.

Sparring was good. Everybody tried some new and different things. I'm getting more comfortable with the kicks and am working on being more on the offense.

When I was sparring with Sihing Kirby, he kept his blocks in really close...did a lot of Wing Chung circular blocks. Then he grabbed me and surprised me with a take down!

The first time I wasn't sure what to do, so I ended up on the ground. The next time, I manged to get avoid getting grabbed, but he still took me down.

Finally, I fell back on Muay Thai and shot in for a standing clinch and threw him off me.

We did this back and forth a few times until the end of the round.

After class, he told me that he wanted me to fall back on Muay Thai because he knew I was more comfortable with it (although that may not be true anymore).

My counter point to that was that since I'm in a Kung Fu class, shouldn't I approach the fight from that perspective?

He said "If the Kung Fu isn't working...or you can't think of what to do...go with what you know."

I'll have to ruminate on that...:thinking:

16. InkyTommy

Had to skip the gym to mow the lawn this afternoon. But I figure an hour outdoors in the Texas heat has to count as some form of exercise.

But just to make sure, I did 15 minutes on the Wave Bag immediately afterwards.

Ran some punch/kick combos. Tried out the switch kick/ax kick on the bag. This can be really devastating if I can pull it off with some decent speed.

But I'm happy to report that the right side kick and left round house are improving, at least.

Travess likes this.
  17. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Sparring Time!

Good class. Worked a lot on defending and moving.

A hallmark of our style is that typically a block is a strike and vice versa. So for example, I would defend against an oncoming straight punch by punching over the top of it and either angling it down or twisting my body to redirect it. Then I'd immediately snap out into a counter-punch. So we practiced that with some two-person drills.

Then we did a drill where the "defender" stood with his/her back against the wall and blocked oncoming punches (any type) from the "attacker".

After that, we did about thirty minutes of free sparring. I felt pretty good about it! Was able to move, intercept/block or redirect strikes fairly well.

But I'm working on being less of a counter-puncher and more aggressive. Played around with some jabs and feints and even landed some legitimate hits on a black belt!

All and all, a good night!

Notes:

-My Fitbit somehow got dislodged and only registered 16 minutes of activity and 96 calories burned! Pretty sure that's not right...

Lotus Flower likes this.
  18. InkyTommy

Training Time!

I was out of town last week and thought it be a good idea to take that time off and heal up. Seems to have worked because I had a pretty great workout today. Here's how it went down;

-Jump Rope - 1 min
    -Heavy Bag (punch combos) - 5 mins
    -Jump Rope - 1 min
    -Heavy Bag (punch/kick combos) - 5 mins
    -Inverted Row - 4 x 10
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 4 x 10
    -Chin Ups - 10, 10, 9, 8
    -Tricep Dips - 4 x 10
    -Squats - 4 x 10
    -Standing Splits
    -Cross Leg Hip Stretch
    -Side Hip Stretch

Notes:
    -301 calories burned at an average heart rate of 110 BPM and a max of 138 BPM
    -Sometimes, it's good just to give the body a little break and a chance to recover. The week off did me a world of good.
    -My punches came much faster and felt heavier. And I was much lighter on my feet and had more energy.
    -So far, the recurring pains in my left hip have not returned. Let's see how it holds up after Kung Fu class tomorrow...

19. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Sifu was out today, so Sihing Alex led the class. The first half was only mildly brutal. Felt pretty proud of myself for keeping up. Then he threw in some Brown Belt stuff and it all fell apart. Here's how it went:

Warm Up:
    -Jog around the studio - 1 min
    -Jumping Jacks - 10
    -Cross Step Run around the studio - 1 min
    -Push Ups - 10
    -Backwards run around the studio - 1 min
    -Bunny hop around the studio - 1 min

Technique:
    -High Heel Kick
    -Jumping High Heel Kick
    -Inside Crescent Kick
    -Jumping Inside Crescent Kick
    -Outside Crescent Kick
    -Jumping Outside Crescent Kick
    -Front Slap Kick
    -Jumping Front Slap Kick
    -Horse Stance Four Punches
    -Jumping Horse Stance Fournaaaaah I'm just kidding! There's no such thing.
    -Horse Stance, Punch, Kick, Punch, Punch
    -Jump Up, Block, Low Stance, Sweep, Bow Stance Punch
    -180 Front Foot Sweep
    -360 (Full) Front Foot Sweep
    -180 Rear Foot Sweep
    -Full Rear Foot Sweep
    <<Warning: Brown Belt Stuff Approaching>>
    -540 Front Foot Sweep, Full Rear Foot Sweep (without losing momentum)
    -Dive Downs
    -Dive Downs, Kick Through
    -Dive Downs, Kick Through, Kip Up
    -Fake Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Drop, Land on your side, Kick
    -Fake Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Drop, Land on your side, Kick, Hook with extended leg, Kick out with other leg
    -Fake Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Drop, Land on your side, Kick, Hook with extended leg, Kick out with other leg, Swing outer leg over
    -Fake Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Drop, Land on your side, Kick, Hook with extended leg, Kick out with other leg, Swing outer leg over, Swing back to the other side
    -Fake Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Drop, Land on your side, Kick, Hook with extended leg, Kick out with other leg, Swing outer leg over, Swing back to the other side, Push up with shoulders and stand up.
    <<That last sequence of moves is called "Black Dragon Climbs Up the Pole" and is part of a Brown Belt Form>>

Forms:
    Chong Keun (the whole class together) - Slow and holding each move for at least five seconds

Notes:
    -362 calories burned with a max heart rate of 110 BPM and a max of 145 BPM.
    -The brown belt stuff was hard, but not impossible. Surprisingly, I had the most trouble wrapping my head around the moves.
    -In contrast, though, the jump kicks and front sweeps are really coming along nicely.
    -And my hip isn't on fire...yet...so far. Knock on wood.

20. InkyTommy

Training Time!

Worked on all my Open Hand Forms (and Staff) today.

Warm Up:
    -Neck rolls
    -Wrist rolls
    -Shoulder rotations
    -Arm circles
    -Waist rotations
    -Knee rolls
    -Ankle rolls
    -One Foot Stance - 3/side
    -Searching the Sea - 3/side
    -High Heel Kicks - 8/side
    -Inside Crescent Kicks - 8/side
    -Outside Crescent Kicks - 8/side

Forms:
    -Sei Fon Sei Bei
    -Keun Lei Keun
    -Taijin Keun
    -Chong Keun
    -Staff
    -Sam Lei Keun

Stretches
    -Standing Splits
    -Low Stance Stretch
    -Horse Stance Stretch

Notes:
    -326 calories burned at an average heart rate of 104 BPM with a max of 140 BPM
    -I was pretty rusty most of them. Took a couple of false starts before I was able to get them right.
    -It wasn't that I'd forget a move as much as I'd go into the wrong form. There are some moves that overlap or repeat throughout various forms and I'd literally lose track of which form I'd be doing.
    -Just means that I need to do them more.