How old were you when you started martial arts and what style

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jfleshner, Jan 2, 2009.

1. gek

gek New Member

choy lee fut

Hi, I started judo when I was 14, then at 16 trained in wing chun, then at 18 I started choy lee fut with sifu Edmund Ng, trained with alan

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

5yrs old - TKD [shudder]

3. gek

gek New Member

Wow 5 years thats deadication

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Ha! I didn't keep it up.

My parents told me I was going to learn 'self control' (a selling point they'd ripped off the yellow pages advert in an attempt to start the emphasis away from fighting through euphemism). I thought I was going to play with radio control cars haha

I picked ma up again as a 15yr old but had wanted to for years before.

5. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

12 for Hapkido, 18 for TKD, hopefully eventually BJJ...

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I had the occasional boxing class and one karate class as a child. Didn't like either. Neither coach paid attention to me or gave me any notice. Went back to boxing at 16 at the same place. I still got pretty much ignored because I wasn't very athletic and couldn't keep up with everyone else.

I Found a ninjutsu place which ended up being ridiculed by ninjas. I don't know why, because at least they sparred. I stopped after I got into a fight with a 16 stone crack head who broke into our house and I tried to wrist lock him. The look on my face must have been priceless :p ended up finding a skateboard and hitting him over the head with it instead.

Then I found out about Ricks. I trained for about three months and I was an absolute idiot. Sort of acting like I knew it all and questioning absolutely EVERYTHING. Rick gave me a row for something and I was too scared to come back. I sucked it up and rejoined at 20 after I got my first job. Pretty much promised myself I could afford it now and that's what I should focus on. Rick vaguely remembered me, but I came back with a very different attitude and haven't stopped learning since.

Now when people ask me how long I've been training i just tell them 4 years (basically just training at Ricks) because it's the only consistent training I've had.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I'm probably one of the least experienced people here. I started Goju-ryu Karate shortly before my 23rd birthday :p ... so I've been at it only a little over two years now, but I enjoy it immensely! :)

I'd been thinking of trying out some MA for some time before that, but wasn't sure what to expect or look for, so I didn't do anything until the opportunity presented itself to me :) And I'm happy I tried! :)

8. falconer

falconer New Member

I was 8 and I did, BJJ, MMA, JKD, CSW, Kickboxing, Boxing and Karate, I was a busy kid.

9. christopher87

christopher87 New Member

I first started Taekwondo as an little 8 year old in 1996 and now I am 28. :)

10. RogerKBK(FMT)

RogerKBK(FMT) New Member

A few sessions BJJ at 16.

Muay Thai&BJJ,at age 17.

Weekly Muay Thai,and occasional BJJ,now.Looking forward to joining a MT gym back home(In US).

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

7 - Judo.

12. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

9 - Wado Ryu Karate

13. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

16, Taekwondo

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

7 - Taiji.

15. gcurtisf

gcurtisf New Member

18 Kyokoshinkai Perth
    21 Wado Ryu Perth
    31 Renbukan Brisbane
    62 Shukokai Brisbane
    65 Renbukan Brisbane, still training

16. KSP08

KSP08 New Member

38- ITF taekwondo

17. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

12 - wing chun :)

18. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

13 - judo.
    Teens, early 20s - tomiki aikido, kyokushinkai karate, ITF taekwondo, lau gar kung fu, shorinji kempo, nippon kempo, kickboxing

30 years off...

52 - Brazilian jiu jitsu. 56 now and training four times a week.

19. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

17/18 (forget) and is started on and off doing TaeKwondo. GTUK if you want specifics.

I am also playing around with looking at Boxing and other things ontop of that.

20. kandi

kandi Valued Member

32 Kyokushin