What was General Choi's view on the WTF?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Ragnarok2005, Jun 11, 2006.

1. TKDmmafiter

TKDmmafiter Valued Member

hahahaahahaha

arrogant idiot...

/stops feeding troll as above

2. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

you lose

3. Well erm... Thanks for sending a potentially good thread downhill guys.

Plus it's universally accepted that Kwang Gae is the TKD Messiah. On the grounds that he is as rugged and manly as any man can be and could definetly beat you up.

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

With regards to the original post on Gen Choi's views of the WTF, (off the top of my head, without looking up dates etc), General Choi was obviously not happy with its inception due to it being set up as a rival to his TKD.

When it got Olympic recognition, at first he was very unhappy and wrote many letters to the IOC (and other places I believe) about it - these are published in his memoirs.

Years later I believe he recoiled the fact that he wasnt going to change the situation so said something along the lines of "If Taekwondo is in the Olympics, then I have achieve something" or something alone those lines.

Towwards the later years of his life, he spoke about unification of the WTF/ITF and ITF-NK continues this.

The other ITFs AFAIA believe its a bad move to ITF based TKD so arnt getting into it.

Personally, I belive its more about a unity of North & South korea (Gen chois dream) rather than TKD - TKD is just the vessel.

Stuart

5. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

I am with the earlier post, that reunification is going to be very difficult due to the fact that nobody is going to be willing to relinquish power to the other organisation.

6. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

not if both orginazations are disovled 100%

7. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Wow...did you have a bad day, Mav?

Everything all right?

Call me bro. You don't have to suffer alone.

You have friends.

8. MadMonk108

It is my hope that reunification never happens.

I also hope the WTF and the ITF fall apart, and we go back to the Kwan system.

Diversity returns, politics die, and TKD gets back to developing rather than stagnating.

I also hope the Orioles have a good season this year, and that the US wins the World Cup.

And that Katherine Heigl will marry me.

9. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

I think you mean dissolved...

And ah, how is that going to happen exactly?

Madmonk why do you hope that reunification doesn't happen?
    I see TKD developing, the only groups that I see stagnating are the ones who break off to do their own thing, therefore not being able to learn new ideas from other instructors.
    When you can only learn from one instructor, you are going to pick up their weaknesses as well as their strengths, and you are going to pass on the same weaknesses. Kind of like incest!

10. MadMonk108

Because I am not in favor of the South Korean government having control over Taekwondo.

Incorrect.

Having a set curriculum for ALL OF TKD means that there will be no growth and no diversity outside of those boundaries.

Taekwondo was so much more diverse fourty years ago than it is now.

Today's Taekwondo is the product of incest.

11. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Yeah, but from the ITF stuff I've seen, they don't wear hogu's and doesn't look like they wear helmets either, and they punch to the head.

Oh lordy, it's the 1950s all over again. Koreans always complain about Japanese coming in and raping their culture. Well I complain about the post-occupation Korean military government coming in and raping the occupation/post occupation Korean culture, which was unique in its own respect. For martial arts, each kwan was distinct, with its own unique identity and system, free to develop however they wanted.

All of that was lost... the development of those separate schools was a reflection of the new Korean culture and how the martial artists of that era chose to mold and grow their separate arts in response to the environments around them, rich in their own ways, and the government took it all away.

12. MadMonk108

The ITF and the WTF hold more and more talks.

That's what the Korean government likes to do.

Talk.

The North and South hold talks all the time.

They have parades and soccer games, and march together at the Olympics. Hyori even got to dance with the best traditional dancer in the North.

Does anything change?

No.

13. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Yay Hyori search time, hopefully I can find it. That sounds interesting, got sick of watching her dance with Bi all the time.

14. MadMonk108

It was hilarious.

They interviewed the North Korean girl, who said that Hyori was a good dancer, but didn't look like a Korean girl at all.

15. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Helmets may have come in now. I entered a tournament recently where they were mandatory.

The punching to the head is the massive difference though - all WTF people I've sparred with would not have the first idea how to react if I wanted to punch them in the face. They just have not been trained for it.

On the other hand the full-contact thing does make WTF practitionners more wary about attacking recklessly than ITF guys.

Also I knew a girl who does WTF (haven't seen her in a while though) who was really greatful for her knowledge when she was attacked in a club. The guy never saw the back kick coming. :D

16. TKDmmafiter

Complain? What? You should be brutalized with a wooden stick and then roundhouse kicked repeatedly in the head. You talk as if the Japanese occupation was nothing big and that it was actually a nice walk in the park and that its the Koreans' fault for making a big deal out of it. An American boy like you could never even begin to imagine what Koreans went through during that time of oppression, you with your nice little comforts and everything force fed to you. Complain? You act as if we complain needlessly. We have a right to complain about the Japanese coming in "raping" our culture, in addition to our women. Your comments are ignorant and offensive. And you people wonder why Americans are constantly laughed at throughout the world...

Your comparing the government's unification of the Kwans to the complete, forceful and oppressive conquest of an entire nation, its people, and their culture?

You're an idiot...

17. TKDmmafiter

Oh and punching in ITF? It sucks. They may as well not have it at all. It's random, jumping flailing with no proper punching technique whatsoever in order to score points.

18. Maybe it's because sparring is an unrealistic combat method? - ITF punching is very good. Aren't they the best at destruction?

19. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Wtf!!!

He was like,"WTF!!!"
    I guess that means he didn't think it was cool.

20. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

you lose again