Reverse Roundhouse. Ushiro-mawashigeri.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Sam, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Just a general wondering on reverse roundhouse/ hook kick/ ushiro-mawashi-geri (not sure how many other translations there are).

We were working on it tonight in class. Now generally I find I'm fairly flexible.
    So when doing RR I pick my leg up straight but slightly bent at the knee and bring it back in to meet the target (Hope that made sense). The power is more generated from the Hip.

However halfway through the line, sensei stops us and asks me whether I find it awkward doing it that way, then proceeds to show me how he does it.

His way he picks it up at first like a side kick and pushes it out then snaps the foot to meet the face, think backfist motion. (I tried this and found it bloody awkward).

Now he didnt tell me my way was wrong.
    I can see some of the pros and cons in both ways of doing it.
    However I find the way I do it effective and can land with it, out of all my class I am the only one that does it this way.

It works for me but thinking about it unless I whip it up it is way more visible to the eye of the opponent.

Any thoughts? Or am I just wierd? (No wait don't answer the latter).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. kitsune

kitsune New Member

Hey if it works it works. It's obviously not bad form or you would have been picked up on it. :)

3. prowla

prowla Valued Member

There are two ways to do ushiro mawashi geri as far as I can tell :- one is an exaggerated circular style, like in the kung fu movies, and the other is a more precise slapping movement which is basically like a yoko geri just to one side of the opponent's face with a jerk inwards at the end.
    You can do the same with kake geri (or ura mawashi geri).
    I always think that the second is the more "karate" way of doing things, in that is it more controlled, and you can use it with the flat of the foot in touch contact sparring without knocking our opponent's head off.
    But make no mistake, use your heel and it will break a jaw (one of our sempais has done it!). It's the speed of the short movement, not the power of the big arc that does it.

4. kitsune

kitsune New Member

That's definately the only way to do it competition or it's off the mats you will go! You must use the sole of the foot doing it for competition as well or the ref will have none of it & off you go!

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Cheers for the info guys.

Like i said i can definitely see the pros of the side kick set up method you can turn it into whichever of the kicks you choose so its easier to get them to think you're going for the wrong area.

I find the circular movement is handy also because you can hook it to the back of their head almost, in close.
    I'm going to make a conscious effort to train both ways mind even though i find the almost yokogeri bloody awkward, still we don't do things just because their easy.

Thanks again.

6. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Actually, I try and alternate when doing basics, between the big move, the aim for touch contact with sole of foot, and the carrying through with heel.
    (Unfortunately, I get dizzy after three, and lose it!)

7. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

:p

Actually with the touch version I find its alot of movement meaning you set up, push out, flick back then finish, it justs seems like too many stages in the kick but then i guess as i work into it more it will feel more flowing and less broken down.
    Ushiro mawash is generally awkward anyway i just find the circular movement cleaner.
    Probably just a mental thing currently.

8. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

i find that i can only do an ushiro mawashigeri if i have a pad to aim for, otherwse they look alwful when im just doing then in mid-air, i dont know why

9. popeye

popeye New Member

In Shotokan circles ushiro mawashi geri generally means a reverse roundhouse kick where the whole body spins and ura mawashi geri generally means what has been described as the side kick out to the side of the opponent with the leg snapping back at the knee to hit the target.

In order to learn these kicks effectively it is useful to have a target pad to aim for to get 'the feel' of the kick. In fact all kicks should be practice both with and without pads.

10. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

I'd call it a kake geri so theres another translation.

I do it both ways but usually the chambered version. Its quick, doesnt commit much weight, and you can disguise the kick while it goes up. I find 1, 2, jodan hook is pretty reliable where it starts like a back foot mae-geri. Also footsweep to chudan hook with the same (either) foot. Etc. I tend to have a straighter leg + more rotation for the spinning hook.

But yeah whatever works is good. Anyone else have favourite combos to share?

11. popeye

popeye New Member

Japanese is an interesting language - several different terms to describe exactly the same thing. 'Kake' could be translated as hooking so it would be a hooking kick in the same wasy kake dori os a hooking grasp. I am sure other people could come up with other names to describe these kicks.

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think a properly executed ushiro mawashi geri should look like the little internet-man performing it below. I think this is the way your instructor showed you?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  13. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Very similiar yes, Been making a conscious effort recently to retrain myself so i can do it both ways of doing the kick, as i see both in having their advantages and i tell you something it's sure as hell not easy to do it differently after so long of doing it that way.
    As i said before i just find that theres too many movements and it being an awkward kick anyway you just lose your balance but then my side kicks arent marvellous either and as the kicks start similiarly i suppose this is being pulled across from that.

14. Moosey

Of course if you can focus your chi it should look like this:

Attached Files:

15. kitsune

kitsune New Member

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That's how they look done TKD style ;) :)

In our terms I think this is the difference between a reverse hooking kick (leg bent variation) and reverse turning kick (leg straight).

I've seen people do the hook with leg out to the side like a reverse side kick chamber as illustrated here, but I've also seen people turn with the knee of the kicking leg in front of them, then take the kicking leg up near vertically and bent behind them, then whip the heel in towards the back or side of the head with all the movement coming from the knee.

I don't think it's a terribly powerful kick and I don't know if it would score for you guys, but for sparring it is very quick (less roatation and chamber) and comes more unsighted.

Mitch
    Off to set fire to his feet. :)

17. Moosey

Well... just to prove I'm always willing to practice what I preach...

[​IMG]

...I'm going to the hospital now...