Chi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheSwazi2000, Feb 15, 2006.

1. TheSwazi2000

TheSwazi2000 New Member

I'm beginning to understand chi a little more now. I work in a Juvenile corrections facility and I'm constantly getting into it with the kids. Well when I first started I would get the whole adrenaline dump and my body would shake a bit when intimidated. After awhile I began to be able to control this and harness the energy from the adrenaline dump. Instead of my adrenaline kicking in and my body acting on it's subconcious I'm in complete control and collected during the dump. It took awhile to get used to. People are said to do amazing things with the use of chi. I have a feeling this energy in combat that they are talking about might just be the harnessing of adrenaline. I've done some pretty amazing things myself under the "Influence." I was just wondering if anyone else would like to comment on this or have experienced something similar. I'm just thinking maybe this is the mystical chi people always talk about........let the conversing begin :)

2. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

There's a very simple problem with that.

Tai Chi hardly causes an adrenalin dump.

3. TheSwazi2000

TheSwazi2000 New Member

Interesting, so maybe what I am experiencing is controlling my body in a powerful different way than what tai chi practioners do.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Maybe you could use the search function here at MAP and look up some of the adrenalin dump threads that have been started - there is a wealth of information on them here at MAP.

Sounds more like you are learning to deal with an adrenalin-stress response.

Leave the Chi for the 16 year old DragonBall Z fans. :D

5. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Chi is a word that is very very hard to explain. To say that it is "energy" is as close as we will get to a one word answer. Though i think "energy" is a bit off. I think of chi as the life-force. The creating force. It is eternal....if "Chi" was to be a person... that person would be god. Chi and God i think is the same thing... that is why they cannot be completely understood.

6. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

The shaking may also be caused by a blockage you might have in your chakras which might be getting sorted out with you doing tai chi.
    hope this helps
    lisa xx

7. TheSwazi2000

TheSwazi2000 New Member

oh my chakras are out of line? I just thought that was a normal adrenaline reaction. Maybe you could tell me more about this?

8. microhard

microhard Valued Member

I jubenice correction, where underage kids go, till they are 18 and than they go to prison?

9. TheSwazi2000

TheSwazi2000 New Member

I have no idea what you just said

10. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I think he meant:
    "Is juvenile correction where underage kids go untill they are 18 and then they go to prison?"

11. TheSwazi2000

TheSwazi2000 New Member

yeah it's almost like a final stop to try and change them......if that doesn't work then yeah, next stop is prison

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Well, depending on what you definition of "chi" is, you may or may not be able to describe adrenaline dump as one manifestation of "chi." This is the best definition of chi I have ever read. It was posted by Declan, a longtime Wuzuquan/Wuji practitioner:

Under that definition, yes, adrenaline dump would be chi/qi, as it is energy your body has that enables it to function.

13. Declan

Declan Valued Member

Yi not Qi

The Chinese term for when your conscious mind takes control of your body is "Yi", not "Qi". This could be described using the words "intent", determination or "mental focus". There is nothing mystical about this. Some examples of using "Yi":
    • When you take a hot plate out of the oven but consciously refuse to drop it until you can put it safely on the work top.
    • When you make yourself stay in horse stance even though your legs are shaking.
    • When you refuse to quit during a fight even though you are having the crap knocked out of you.

Your brain will inject a quantity of adrenaline into your system proportionate to the perceived threat. If you become more familiar with a particular threatening situation and over time consider it less threatening, you will get a smaller adrenaline dump.

Moreover, if you consciously decide to control your breathing (one way of applying "Yi") you will be calmer and thus minimise the amount of adrenaline being dumped, although your body will still react to the adrenaline already in your system.

Regards,

Declan

14. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Yi yi ling qi, yi qi ling xing.