best martial art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Chinesericeboy, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Well, you may not see a hole now, but how objective are you being? Many people train for years in their respective systems, and don't see anything wrong with it, doesn't mean those flaws aren't there, it just means they haven't seen them. Some people never see them.

I'm not saying your system is bad by any means, I'm just saying its not "the best" martial art there is. Every MA has its flaws.

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

what a stupid question YODA :p

:D

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Re: Fang Shen Do

To qualify Mu4D'D1b,

What other MA systems have you extensive knowledge of to make this statement?

All the sites I've looked at say it's glorified Wing Chun.

Not to say that's a bad thing, but how long have you been training in FSD, and how has the system been tested?

4. Mu4D'D1b

Mu4D'D1b New Member

Fang Shen Do

Personally, i've been evolving in this system since 1 1/2 year with intense training. I know Judo, Karate, jiu-jitsu, muay thai, boxe, but no one of those arts cover all the stuff like Fang Shen Do. Karate is quite polyvalent but for myself i think there is not enough fluidity in this style.(For exemple Block and punch after, compare to Kung-Fu wich is Deviation and punch in one movement).

An other exemple, in our school we have a lot of Karate and TKD's black belt who want to try Fang Shen Do and when they Spar with FSD's blue or green belt (1- 3 years of training) they get overwhelmed....you'll say it depend of the black belt which is right but its a good indicator of the ability level reach in only 2 years of training.

An other example, one of our Sifu(Scott Hill) went in a UCC tournament(professional) in Montreal for the first time. He got invited at the last minute(2 weeks before the match and he had to learn the rules, train for the match etc.) because the real challenger couldn't participate. His opponent (Marc Cambier) was the champion of the category and he has 5 years experience in UCC. Scott Won in 2 minutes at his first match. He is actually the champion of this division of UCC. My Sifu (Patrick Marcil) has participate to this event too but not against the champion and he won his match easily in the same circumstance than Scott Hill (with no preperation).

I will search on the web to show you the proof, i'll came back on this don't worry.

I dont want you guys think that i'm arrogant or something like that, i'm just trying to make you know an almost unknown martial art wich is in emergence ( is this word appropriate?). well....thats it hehe

5. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

there is no such thing as best martial art its about the person

-
    -----------------------------------------------
    treu victory is self-victory

6. Andy Murray

The only thing that's annoying me slightly at the moment is you calling it Kung Fu. What Chinese origin does it have, as the name sounds more Japanese/Canadianese to me?

Incidentally, there are many different Karate schools, just as Kung Fu is a term used to describe thousands of different fighting systems.

I know you've tried to justify your statements about Fang Shen Do, but you've fallen way short of the mark for me I'm afraid.

7. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Two points from me

1: The answer is land rover.

2: Fang shen do, it has flaws.
    Do you really believe it is a better than every other Martial art? Thats a really big call, a reallly really big call.

So, you've studied, karate, judo, muay thai and jiu-jitsu, how extensivly, did you master them all?
    If you didn't, I don't belive you have much right to judge them.
    I'm happy to admit my style has flaws, I'm sure yours does to.

Do you think a master of your style could beat a master of any other? Gracies, Shaolin Monks, olympic compeditors?

You cannot judge belt ranks when refering to another style, it'll probably be a different system.

As Andy said, it looks like Wing Chun with some shiny things covering the empty parts. Well, he didn't say that exactly. I'm just trying to put it in a metaphorical sense.

Anyway, this is becoming an interesting thread.
    Mu4D'D1b, Good luck with finding some info on it.

8. stump

stump Supersub

Mu4D'D1b
    - can you post a link to the UCC site where your instructors' results are documented?

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Have you thought that maybe they just aren't used to your system of sparring? Karate and Tae Kwon Do are very different to Kung Fu, and its hard to break out of something you've been training in for years to spar in a different way. Sparring and street fighting are very different in any case, a style that has effective sparring doesn't equate to effective street fighting.

Also, how long did you train in the other arts you mentioned, and what grades did you attain?

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Hehe yeah too many points not to qualify it as the best MA

Are the punches as good as in boxing? I doubt anyone gives as much attention to punches as boxing..

Same for MT for striking, BJJ for groundwork or whatever, Aikido for locks manipulation etc, judo for throws, FMA, Arnis etc for weapons...

Every MA is good in a certain ranges or charasteristics, from whatever I heard Hapkido, Jiu Jitsu Ninjutsu are pretty well rounded but they won't concentrate as much in punches as in boxing or as much groundwork as in ninjutsu.

Anyways every art is good in it's own speaciality, some might find karate to be much more fun and better than boxing, or this better than that etc...

In other words I find apples to taste better than oranges but you will find oranges to taste better than apples and we are all arguing over what ____ [enter name here] will like from oranges and apples when he actually likes watermelons instead :D:p

Bah! I am blabbering! must shut up...

|Cain|

11. Mu4D'D1b

Mu4D'D1b New Member

You guys got a lot of good questions!

1) For the UCC results i'll post it soon, cause its in a magazine and i dont remember the name i must ask my Sifu.

2) Cain your right when you say that a boxer will probably have better punches(he only practice it), but can a boxer deal with kicks and punches?i don't think so... For example, Mike Tyson is going to do an exebition match in Japan soon with a K1 fighter Bob Sapp and Tyson clearly specified that he don't want to have high kicks at the head and things like that.
    It's the same thing for grappling, a jiu-jitsu black belt will probably be more confident on the ground but he can only do that. Same thing for TKD with great kicks! but what happen if you close on him and he can't throw kicks anymore? i Don't know if you understand my point.

3) I call it FSD 'Kung-Fu' because our sijo is the student of one of the first Bruce Lee's student and he create FSD specially for today's society with the base of JKD so thats why i said 'Kung-Fu'.

Anyway i respect you all guys, if you want me to stop saying that FSD is the best art i'll stop. I'm not here to make all the forum mad about me but to increase the diversity of opinion with a new art that is FSD.

12. Andy Murray

Re: Re: Fang Shen Do

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Nah you all are nuts! MY MA ie Cain do karate rules! :D

|Cain|

14. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Thats all good man, we respect the fact you are introducing the art to us, but just try not to glorify it. I'm pretty sure your master, a student of Bruce Lee himself wouldnt say that your style is "best"? I mean as far as i know, you could be a kickass fighter/practuiononar, but that doesnt mean every one else at with the same amount of experience as yourself will be. The fighter makes the art what it is, not vice versa

15. Mu4D'D1b

Mu4D'D1b New Member

And i'd like to say that this Forum is great. Martial art is a passion for me and everyone here seem to share this enthousiasm so it's pretty cool. :p

It's definitly the best place to found answers about MA because of the opinion's diversity and the quality of those opinions. And I'm glad to participate ;)

Viva internet

:woo:

16. Chinesericeboy

Chinesericeboy New Member

OMG!

omg...u people...the best martial art is....BUY A GUN AND SHOOT! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: and then :Angel: :eek:

17. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic New Member

You should shaddap, everyones intitled to there own opnion, even you so stick to the subject and say what style you think is the best....

18. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic New Member

no offence Mu4D'D1b, but u did no justice in defeding our style, as the matter of fact i dont think you could talk your way out of a corner ;) but thats regardless....

Fang shen do is one of the best styles for self defence, esentially your gonna tear the **** outta anyone that starts with you, depeding on the situation of course because the fact is that a fight is 95% metal 5% physical, you should be able to talk out of any situation before you need to raise a fist...

in my opnion theres no best style the best fighters cross train, so get a good foundation, fang shen do is a great style to have under your belt but just because someone has a black belt in fsd wont make them the best fighter in the world... but you'll be pritty danm close :D

19. MD5

MD5 New Member

The best Martial Art is peace... err... I'lll shut up...

20. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Now, come on! Everyone knows Sinanju rules! All other martial are mere shadows of Sinanju. ;)

Hoping you get the joke (hint: Remo Williams) :D