The Gathering of Warriors 2005

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Scarmiglione, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

iS anyone else going to the tournament in Manila this October?

2. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

My Bakbakan kali instructor is (lucky so-and-so), but I think he's going mainly for the seminars. (although Master Rey may twist his arm...)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

dangit!!! why are we over here always last to know?

4. Scarmiglione

it is going to be a BLAST! First time to manila.

5. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

tourney

Hi Scar,
    How does it work? Do you pay your own way? Also, the tournament is divided by weight or is it just by format, ie double stick, single, knife, etc.
    sorry I couldnt make the tourney in red deer. Old, fat and buying a house doesnt make for a successful outing.
    im hoping to be in shape for next year. I hope i can afford the bill for training though.
    Is the format full contact with armor or no armor or is it a point sparring set up?
    Gordon

6. Scarmiglione

Its divided by event and weight (lite, med, heavy) (Double, dos manos, single,daga, espada y daga)

There are low standard and hi contact divisions. Low= armor and padded weapon, standard= no armorand padded stick, High = no armor and rattan

Youre one of Joels students arent you?

7. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

joel

Hi,
    Im actually a student of Punong Guro Rutano and Guro Lafantaisie.
    I think you might have met them at the camp out.
    I signed up for a year with Gil just yesterday and I want to take in a tournament before I retire when Im 40. Thats just three years away!!!
    Gordon

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Retire at 40:eek: Your just a baby:) 44 years old and still playing the game, will be playing in Manila in December and the ARPI world champs and I am sure I will have a play at the WEKAF British in November for a kind of warm up (even though the 2 formats are different) and I am sure I will still be playing in 10 years time.

40, the fun is just beggining, there is nothing better than giving those young bucks a good run for there money, it stops them saying things like your past it now at your age, and makes them think twice about just how hard they need to train.

As Spock say's "Live long and prosper"

Best regards

Pat

9. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

option for arnis

rey13eskrimador@gmail.com
    as i had hear on our last meeting (they invited me ) many instructors from UK and USA will come, Ijust dont know if for Tournament or Workshop?
    If you want too we have this 1st World Invitational Arnis Championship this December 7-9 , 2005,,If you wish to participate just email me.......rey13eskrimador@gmail.com.....anytime soon my website will open gurodominguezkali-arnis.com :Angel: :woo:

10. reydominguez

If you and your team could stay much longer until december much better and see this World Invitational we have also asian countries participating... Vietnam , singapore , India , UK , Scotland, and \USA are coming down for this and i am looking for Canada as the Tournament director .... GM Roland Dantes is our Over all Chairman for this,,,,,must be an awesome one !!!!

11. reydominguez

see you in Manila my Friend.... rey13eskrimador.............so busy in preparation and forgeting the politics.... just go on the ART ... Mabuhay ang FMA !!!!!

12. BatongBuhay

BatongBuhay Valued Member

Public Statement

To all concerned:

Greetings and Salutations,

Since the passing of the Grandmaster of Lightning Scientific Arnis International (LSAI) it has undergone many changes. We are currently in the midst of reorganization and many issues long-standing and long over due are coming to light. Many Oversights and mistakes are being unearthed and are in the process of being corrected.

It stands with the LEMA Family that Mr. Filomeno Buena is not recognized by the Lema Family as a representative of LSAI and by their member organizations and that and that any agreements entered into with him regarding the organization have no authority and are not valid.

Mr. Filomeno Buena is not authorized to speak for and in behalf of the Lema Family and the LSAI System and organization.

We regret to have to make statements such as this but as such is required to maintain Legitimacy and Fidelity in the practice of the Legacy of the system taught by its founder Benjamin Luna Lema, we deem this such action as necessary.

This is our Official Statement.

Thank you for your indulgence,

Please do not hesitate to contact our Secretariat regarding this matter.
    lsai_secretariat@yahoo.com

signed:
    Patty Jean Luna Lema Caballero
    LIGHTNING SCIENTIFIC ARNIS INTERNATIONAL
    President
    Lema Family

13. reydominguez

How sad it is? my apologies I was not be able to be there in the wake of Lolo. hope youn still remember me, ate Pat? Reydominguez from Golden city!
    I looking forward in seeing and meet you ate Pat...God Bless

REy Dominguez

14. John J

John J Valued Member

Regarding BatongBuhay's post:

Bert Labaniego & Vic Sanchez will represent LSAI
    Filomeno Buena will represent LESKAS

Obviously the goals of this event is to foster camaraderie first and foremost. Unfortunately since many organizations have their own politics to deal with, even KI, chances are we are not fully aware of everyone elses.

Forget all the bickering and leave the politics aside. There was a lot of effort and hard work put forth by many people including Rey Galang who is responsible for the whole thing. Although he communicated via State side, he wanted everyone to have the opportunity to contribute or decline. If representatives chose to stay out of it because of intertribal b.s. then the event is better off.

If you wish to support the preservation of OUR combat arts...take part in what will surely be a memorable event and milestone in the Warrior Arts of the Philippines!

The latest update is posted on the homepage of www.bakbakan.com. My understanding is that the local event organizers are still working with Ernesto Presas to represent Kombatan.

Yours in the Arts,

John G. Jacobo
    www.swacom.com
    www.bakbakan.com

15. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

hey sir, nice meeting you there :p , thank GOD we're not on the same bracket :D :D also congrats on the medals you've got :p

Its a blast :D , even though i feel "bitin" (hey filipino guys, pls help me to translate this :confused: .

:p

ps. is ms wynie also a MAPper? :p

[bong]

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

"bitin" may be translated as "fallen short"?

17. Scarmiglione

Pinoy, why do you feel that you fell short?

Kinda disappointed at only getting the 2 silvers. But next time i'll do better. That last point in topada that they awarded my opponent was a pretty ****ty call.

18. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

well i just had 1 fight, I thought will even have two opportunities :cry: , well maybe our bracket have lots of entries :bang: . Ow i didn't notice what happened on your last fight on the tapado, but your fight w/ Mr. Tulfo "a known personality, in TV & public service" is kinda entertaining :D :D :D .

Also, i loved your (Bakbakan) format, torney w/ espada Y daga, daga vs daga :p , sadly we didnt know you have them & we have not had the opportunity to compete in thaty category :cry: :cry: :cry:

anyways, it was a blast!!

The next time I will try my best also, my opponent took the competition when he always hit me in the leg, bummer :D

19. WT_ATL

WT_ATL New Member

I actually received word from Master Galang regarding his recent Bakbakan tournament in the PI. He was expecting 45-50 participants, but ended up getting over a hundred players. It was an awesome turn out. Consequently, he only brought 10 SMAK-Stiks for the tournament. Impressively, he ran the entire tournament using only 10 SMAK-Stiks. Only one broke during the entire event.

With his permission I’m posting excerpts from his email:

“The entire set of 10 sticks managed to help us make it through the 18 events we had with the 100 participants. Only one (1) broke and some suffered tears on the tips (3 - 4 inches area from the tip).”.

“As for the broken stick, 1 out of 10 isn't bad considering the abuse it got.”

“You should be pleased with this results. Everyone was impressed at how the Smak-Stix products endured the intense beating it got at the tournament.”

--Winston

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hey you won the first point and made your opponent go for just leg shots, so you could say if it were the real deal, you would have won the bout:D Possitive thinking is what it is all about and I am sure you will learn from the expeariance and win the next time round.

Well done all who played the games, it is grat to hear it was a success, maybe next year the UK will have one eh Peter;) .

Best regards

Pat