Something Strange?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

When I started this thread all I really wanted to get out of it was whether anyone KNEW what happened. I didn't anticipate this kind of animosity with the association (thought I knew it was out there) coming to life on this thread. Maybe I was just being naive. Anyway, personally I'd like to see this thread stay about what anyone KNOWS about Master Sims leaving. If you want to continue discussing the flaws in the WKSA could we please start another thread. Thanks.

2. Wolf

I don't know how far you're willing to drive, but KJN Dan Middleton runs a school in Anderson, SC. It's a little more than 90 miles from Asheville. I drive up there from Athens, GA. He's a really good instructor. I come up tuesday nights for the blackbelt only class, and I'm really happy with it.

3. Chuin

Chuin Banned Banned

The unofficial reason Sims left was he is starting a new business. (dont know so dont ask). He will not have time for KSW. And I'm guessing he will close his school, to spend more time on the new business.

4. KSWarrior

KSWarrior www.warriorinstitute.com

I think we are wasting our time on this topic lets move one. I'm tired of all this guessing! And you are right there are 3,600 techniques . . . I stand corrected. I asked my instructor. My point still stands . . . does anyone on this chat line know even a 1,000? I thought so!

5. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I think most of us know about it, to some degree. But as for me, I don't really care. If anyone ever starts giving me crap, I'd just as soon switch to Hapkido. Plus, I've got other arts to train in as well. As for now, KSW is one of the best martial arts clubs on campus, and I'll continue to train in it and enjoy it.

6. Jay Lee

Jay Lee New Member

Reasons for leaving

I've read all of these posts. A few are suppositions about Marlin Sims, a couple were about me. Most of the posts had to do with a blame game patchwork of guessing. The best way to think about these things is to look at your own lives and the choices that you've made. Sometimes you have big reasons for what you do and sometimes you make choices without any epic reasons being necessary. We are just living our lives. I am always fascinated that people perceive such ownership of their lives. I was taught, a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away (just joking), that if you own anything it is your death. Thinking that you own your life is an illusion. That sounds like such bs in a sense, too old school, but that was a lesson.

Marlin has his own "reasons" for moving on as did I. All of you seem to respect him and you seem to respect yourselves, even each other a bit. Maybe Marlin Sims has given you enough. Wish him well. From time-to-time you may bump in to him. Make sure to say hello and shake his hand.

7. Wolf

Thank you for your contribution sir. I'm curious (if you don't mind sharing) what is it you do with martial arts and training these days?

8. Jay Lee

Jay Lee New Member

Today

I am a university professor in Texas. I teach measurement and evaluation, and statistics. I lecture in motor behavior and sport psychology. After I left KS, I worked at NASA where we studied the effects of microgravity on gait and locomotion in astronauts. My family and I were living in Hollywood, FL (North Miami) for two years just a couple of blocks from the ocean. We moved back to TX a year ago.

I am a certified sport psychology consultant and have worked with Olympic athletes in several sports including fencing, track and field, tae kwon do, soccer, and basketball. I provide a service to martial art schools in the nature of business practices, safety and risk management, etc. I don't teach martial arts to those schools or instructors or provide curriculum training of any kind.

I continue to serve as a consultant and advisor to law enforcement and the military, but that has little or nothing to do with martial arts. My experience in that comes from 4 years in the Marine Corps and training I received from the FBI and others while working for Houston PD for about ten years. Occasionally, I testify as an expert witness in local, state, and federal cour cases.

I practice occasionally for myself. Sometimes, I think about opening a small studio in Nacogdoches, Texas just for children. My children are 7 and 12 so that might be fun. University students want me to teach them KS but I don't really have time in my week to add another thing to do. I drop in to the martial art community to keep up with it, but don't have time to make this a regular practice.

All the best to you.