Shaolin Monks

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by WhereMyRiceGo, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Nice post AN! Good to hear a first hand account of the Shaolin temples. Better to hear its not all bad.

2. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Are you saying via eye roll that Sin Te never told the story of melting a baby in his hands? I read a Bullshido post writen by a guy who says he heard Sin Te tell that story in person at a Shaolin-do conference. Of course, I've never met Sin myself so I can't testify to what he has or hasn't said, but I've read more than one account from different sources that claim to have met him in person, all saying that Sin Te is very fond of telling obviously fake stories about himself. In fact, I've never heard any believable stories about Sin's MA prowess from anyone... do you have any? I mean, has he ever received high honors in any competitions, won any NHB matches or anything else that sounds more reasonable?

3. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

well...karate is pretty basic kicks and punches. there arent many different names for each one, they r like "side kicks, and roundhouse kicks" and stuff like that, if u look at kick boxing u can say u see karate like forms.

and yeah it is pretty hard to tell if one can fight good or not. ppl usually dont fight unless they have to. for example they are threatened ,etc.

4. blue eagle

blue eagle New Member

what a boring life that would make. Have to have a few fights atleaste sometimes.

5. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger New Member

Actually, the eye roll was for yohan's "tee hee hee". Just a friendly jesture. As for your question, no, he has NEVER told a story that HE melted a baby in his hands.

nuff said....

But just for you, the actual story, told to me a long time ago and then in print was that when he was young, he studied a form of MA called "sand burn". They would strike their hands in to large pots filled with heated sand to toughen the skin and condition the hands. They would then soak their hands in some solution (similar to dit jow I am sure) that would gradually deaden the pain and feeling. The story goes that , and please pay attention to this part onyomi, HIS TEACHER, not him, had been training and without thinking , picked up his crying grandchild. Because his hands were still hot, he burned or scalded (not melted as the bullshido version goes) the child. The teacher was so upset that he stopped teaching and training and M. Sin then found and started training with M. Ie.

That that is the CORRECT version of the story. Did it or could it happen that way? Who knows. While personally find it hard to believe that the hands and skin could be conditioned to hold that much heat, that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. Look at iron shin and bone training. With out it, you slam shin to shin, you cry. With it, you don't even notice.

As for him competing, his certificate does say that he was a great fighter and that he won all the tournments in the area and was best known for Golden Snake and Cyclone Leg (whatever they may be).

Hope that helps. Sorry for the hi-jack...