Cold Sores....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by inteq9, Jul 13, 2005.

1. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Oh how I loathe thee...

Anyone ever hear any tricks on getting these things to go away faster? I heard somewhere that people used to put earwax on them but I'm not going to do that. Any help would be appreciated. :D

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

virasorb

its the best cream I found. get it on soon enough, the sore actually comes up dying ... normally gone in 2-3 days instead of mandatory 7-10

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The virasorb is what our dermatologist swears by.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I just assumed since inteq9 posted his question in the Traditional Healing forum that he was looking to find "tradtional" (natural) alternative to actual viral medicine prescribed by a doctor.

.... virasorb is good and so is Clearsore and Zovirax.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

ahhhhh. I never looked at the forum it was in :)

apparently virasorb is a dirivative of zovirax....but a LOT cheaper!

7. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Taking the amino acid lysine and/or the food preservatives BHA/BHT will stop outbreaks from occuring, the food preservatives will also lower cholesterol and help keep you healthy.

8. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I use Zovirax but havn't seen much difference in the time it takes the sore to go away... I was just wondering if there was anything I never heard of that helps...

Thanks KickChick :)

9. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

10 days how traditional is that cold sores normally clear up in about ten days on thier own.

10. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

Sorry, I know it's not traditional, but Zovirax is the business! The active ingredient is an antiviral called Acyclovir (although I'm sure there are others), so you can get a generic cream much cheaper. Make sure you get one that has the antiviral in it though! I didnt check once and it just proved to be a carrier cream that spread my cold sores around even more!

11. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Abreva is an over the counter medication that my father swears by. I have used it, and noticed a moderate difference in the duration and intensity of my cold sores. I also use and recomend lecithin. It's found in the dietary suppliments isle, though I cannot remember what it is supposed to do, but I have noticed that when I apply it topically to a cold sore, it starts to dry up very rapidly.
    Other then that, just wait it out and it will heal on its own. Darn those herpes viruses anyway. :p

12. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

Another thing that has worked for me is any cold-sore rub containing Lysine. It's an amino-acid for tissue repair that the body cannot make on its own; mostly found in red meats, fish, and dairy. I don't get cold sores very often at all, but when I accidentally bite my lip, the stuff works wonders in 2-4 days.