Sickness affecting my weight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kyle_s7, May 24, 2005.

1. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

Ok ive been sick for about one and a half weeks. I have a constant headache a bad stomach and a very bad sore throat. I have barely been able to eat anything because of it. In the last week alone I lost 10 lbs. Yes I am very over weight and need to lose weight but is this healthy? And should I stuff food in my stomach full of pain if it is not healthy?
    *cough cough cough*
    *Example* If we were to eat at Mc Donald’s. Usually Id eat a Double Quarter pounder. Some fries and the drink. Recently ive been able to eat one or two bites of the burger no fries and about 1/5 of the drink.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  2. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

and what antibiotics should I take? I took amoxicillin and tetracycline but they dont seem to be doing much. and sudafed.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Have you been to the doctor? That's the most important thing I'd suggest
    If your appetite's gone, don't force yourself to eat your usual amount, but make sure you get something every day (particularly fruit) and drink lots of water.

4. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

Thanks *cough cough cough sniff sniff sneeze*

5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

You haven't lost 10lbs of fat or muscle in just 10 days, most of that will be fluid, you'll get it back as soon as you start eating again.

It sounds like you're in a bit of a state and it wouldn't do any harm to get a doctor to take a look at you, just to be sure.

6. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Don't eat McDonalds - it sounds like a regular thing for you, and that's probably what's making you sick. :rolleyes:
    I'm not a big advocate of antibiotics, last time I had them was for pneumonia, and they gave me a whole load of other problems (and it turned out they got it wrong and I never had pneumonia anyway :bang: ). If you're taking these, I hope it's on the advice of a doctor, so go back and see them if you think it's not working. If they are on prescription, bear in mind to keep taking them for the full course, as they won't do their job properly if you give up on 'em.

7. minimal

minimal New Member

If you have taken any antibiotic, 'probiotics' are usually in order, and what these actually are are live bacteria mainly from yoghurt, in a capsule. Take them after, and during the time you're taking antibiotics if you notice they cause digestive system problems. You probably didn't need antibiotics for your symptoms but the doctor may have noted symptoms you didn't write above, or he could be concerned with the length of the ilnness, or like many doctors feel that hte best way of placating the patient is to prescribe something. He could have been concerned about Strep throat, which is bacterial.

Don't eat McDonalds food, their baked apple pies aside. If you can't stomach it that's a sign that your system is working properly in losing cravings for tastes which are not associated with nutrients you need. Works the opposite way, also. If you crave something, eat it, and eat as much as your body tells you to.

Feed yourself a few times a day but eat fairly little, unless you desire more. You can't lose more than 4-6 pounds per week healthily for any length of time, but as Psin pointed out at first it'll be water.

Saying that, it is more important that you hydrate yourself as much as you can stand, even if it means going to the bathroom a lot. Avoid caffeine and alcohol in anything, but on the other hand rinse with mouthwash 3 times daily.

Water is always important, and we don't get thirsty at the point we should for optimal health (because in the distant evolutionary past, a visit to the stream exposed us to predators). Many people here will have noticed the difference adequate hydration before training makes. It's especially important when you're sick, because bacteria when multiplying create toxins, viruses kill cells, and the stuff in cells is harmless in it's place but toxic when broken up and released into the body, and the stuff your body uses, or tries to use, to repel the invaders is also toxic the the body, although less so than it is toxic to most microorganisms. The liver and kidneys filter most of the toxins from your body. They also can have too high a concentration of salt to function properly, and this will result from drinking too little water. If your skin is itchy or uncomfortable, it is usually a sign of impaired liver function. If your urine is not a somewhat 'clear' or 'pale' shade of yellow, but rather a brigt or dark shade, that's another sign of drinking too little water.

It will take you a little time to get well. If you puke or get 'the runs', for longer than about a day, or if anything becomes painful, or if there's any problem with breathing, you should see your doctor or a doctor ASAP. If you're sick for more than 15 - 20 days running, and it's not getting better, it bears investigation to make sure it's not something perticularly serious.

If you use a sauna, make sure you hydrate and please bring a friend. It can help certain illnesses, although there are risks, namely blood pressure (another thing you really need to get checked anyhow as too high or low impairs liver and kidney function). Have water nearby at all times, even at night, you need it to be near you when you're not suficiently thirsty to get out of bed.

For food, try clear liquids at first, i.e. apple and grape juice. You can have ginger ale as long as it lists natural flavoring or ginger in the ingredients, and the ginger extract and carbonation can help settle your digestive system and stave off vertige and nausea, and sometimes tummy cramping. These all contain sugar, so you should sip and not chug, and give your body time to decide when it has had enough (it takes a few minutes for blood sugar to respond, and that's a major clue your body will use).

Move up to other liquids and anything else, simple foods, few ingredients are best, trying for small snacks or meals until your body wants more. Always keep plain water nearby, though. Water is key here, often with infectious and toxic illness recovery time is inversely proportional to the amount of water consumed. Drink often, but never to discomfort. Try to drink unless and until you have a mild feeling that you don't want to drink anymore.

Hope it goes well, let us know.

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I have to ask, Kyle, have you made any major lifestyle changes recently? Just curious... When I quit smoking back in November and then went Vegetarian in January, I ended up sick for about 2 and a half months. My body just went into shock, period. Even my doctor recognized that while healthy moves, it may have been too much, too soon.

I'd be wary of the antibiotics, they can also kill the good bacteria, hence Minimal's recommendation that you take a good probiotic (I and my brother both highly recommend acidophilus; I have a bad GI tract, most antibiotics make me violently ill, but acidophilus keeps my body stable when I have to take antibiotics).

You have to eat something and keep hydrated. If you're having a hard time eatine, I'd recomend what my doctor in college recommended: the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Apples (either apples, apple juice, or applesauce), Toast. They are all easlly digestible foods, low residue (which should keep you from getting the runs), and it's resonable balanced in terms of nutrition. Yes, it could be better, but it's a stopgap diet desigend to keep food in your system. Water is best, sports juices if you can manage it, also fruit juices.

And although it's been said, many times, many ways, GO SEE A DOCTOR. If you haven't, go. Now. Stop reading this and leave! Seriously, if you've self-perscribed antibiotics, you could be in trouble. If you don't get your symptoms looked at, it could leave you miserable.

9. Mark_Campbell

Mark_Campbell Valued Member

amoxycillan is the standard so dont be too stunned if it didnt work, its the staple prescription of the lazy doctor

tetracycline is a couple of steps up the ladder and should be quite a surprise if it doesnt do the trick

my best advice would be to harass your GP, really dog him to get to the root cause, make your case important and dont let him fob you off on another mass produced drug. Everything thing else i can think of has been covered well by the other replies so get well soon

10. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Hm. . . it's generally not a good idea to take antibiodics unless a doctor perscribes them. You could develop an immunity, or create an antibiodic resistant strain of something. It's best to find out the propper dosage and kind from a doctor. If it's a viral infection, like the flue, antibiodics aren't going to help you at all. Actually, I'm not even sure why you have such easy access to these drugs.

11. meesey

meesey New Member

EATING McDONALDS CRAP WOULD MAKE ME SICK

12. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

Better

Well im better. I took a HIGE dosage of Keflex last night and now I feel fine. Thanks for all the help. And ill stay away from McDonalds. I just hope that 10lbs stays off

13. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

I hate my life :bang:

14. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

That's good advice on the whole, but it might have added credibility if you had spelled anTibiotics correctly.

15. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

You might have sounded smarter if you had capitalized the right T.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  16. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

LOL Good point