Hip Pain in Side Kicks

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Wadey, May 19, 2010.

1. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

Hi all

Hope I've put this in the right forum, thought it would be as it's san da.

Every time I go for a side kick, the outside of my hip/top of my leg is agony! It's the muscle rather than joint and it's almost as though I'm crushing it. It only really happens on my left side. My front kick and round house kicks are fine (if I try a high round house on my left it can twinge a little)

Anyone got any ideas or tips I can do to avert it? My instructor has put it down to muscle fatigue, but I'm not so sure.

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Valued Member

Try the pressure points along your urinary bladder meridian. Specifically the ones running down your lower spine and leg if at all possible. If not, have someone help. You can look these up online.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That pain is you jamming the top head of your femur (thigh bone) into your acetabulum (hip socket). It is very common, particularly in someone who started training as an adult. You can resolve the problem by rotating your pelvis more during the movement, to create space in the acetabulum.

It has got nothing to do with meridians.

4. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Well.... that sounds right (what van dant said). Maybe it's referring pain to your iliotibial tract and the abductors.

see a doctor about it.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Hmm, your instructor really should have known what that pain was, it's a really really common issue.

6. Grizzly

Grizzly Valued Member

No, it does not have anything to do with your meridians, but they take the pain away after you get hurt. I had a leg disease called Perthes as a child (http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com/Topics/Perthes/perthes.html) and if it wasn't for pressure points, I would have suffered greatly. Perthes effects the same part of the leg/hip that these kicks do. So it stands to reason, that you can ease your pain to a tolerable level by following my advise.

You are correct too Van Zandt, but if the pain remains after the kick, just try what I said OP.

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Not really. If the pain is still there go and see a doctor or physio. Even if playing with meridians do help with the pain, they are still only treating the symptom and not the problem.

8. Grizzly

Grizzly Valued Member

Well, now that you have identified the problem, we can all agree there is no need for a doc. I'm just saying, if you do the kick, and you do it wrong accidently, there is nothing wrong with using pressure points to relieve the pain.

9. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

So what you're saying is as I lift my knee to perform the side kick, I need to push the front of my hips towards the ground more? (sorry for the lack of understanding)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The best way to feel the correct pelvic alignment for doing side kicks is through the sitting (horse stance). As you open your legs and lower yourself to the ground, try to tip your groin to the floor. Image a rope attached to the ceiling has been hooked into the coccyx (tailbone) and it is pulling your butt upwards towards the ceiling. In essence, you are "rolling" your hips forward. Try to keep your torso upright as you do it.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  11. Unjeesunsu

Unjeesunsu Valued Member

WADEY,

Just a thought and something you might want to consider and have checked out;

A tight muscle in your hip could be the culprit.

When the piriformis muscle tightens up, it can strangle the nearby sciatic nerve. It can trigger pain that can shoot through your backside, buttocks and down your legs.

I’m not saying that’s what it is but it is a possibility. If it checks out, your best option on that is “Stretching”, daily, slowly, but definitely stretching. It will take a long time before things get better especially when you are older but don’t have a doc convince you to have surgery, not for sciatica anyway.

With all the opinions and advise you received in this thread I hope you are smart enough to see a doc first before you do anything.

Unjee