TMA vs. MMA/BJJ

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Placebo, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garth

garth Valued Member

Of and by the way "Saying Checkmate" is a bit of a childish response, dont you think?

Garth

2. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

considering we aren't even playing chess... now really

3. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

So if I post an article written by someone who trains police and military saying that X "Traditional" martial art is misunderstood and far superior to MMA in the field, would that be 'checkmate' as well.

Oh, ok....Nothing to see here....

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

no, because he already got checkmate. it's too late now, dude.

5. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Oh...yeah...crap....I guess it's settled then...

6. siyeo

siyeo Valued Member

The answer is the more skills you have mma, tma, grappling and striking. The more options and solutions you have when dealing with an aggressor. If you have gaps in your knowledge or skills you potentially have weaknesses that can be exploited by a skilled opponent. From a Buj perspective the biggest and most popular arts being studied by potential thugs is MMA or BJJ. I ma not saying all people that do these styles are thugs, but these are currently the styles of choice. Be smart enough to defend yourself against the skills these thugs have. The answer, I wont be taken to the floor is now very tired and unrealistic.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Close, but no. Try boxing and high school wrestling, if you're talking about the US/UK. I will agree though, there's no excuse to call yourself a capable martial artist and be unprepared for the current trend in martial arts.

8. Ace of Clubs

MMA and BJJ guys are so easy to handle it's just not funny. I think it's important to know what they do and how they do it, but for me personally imitating them is a step backward for me.

In fact all martial artists are a piece of cake, the more skilled they are the less of a threat they are.

The real threat are people who don't train, who don't have set of moral and ethical rules by which they live by and who don't care about others.

It doesn't matter if you have a 13/2/3 fight record, it doesn't matter if you have done 4 tours in 3 countries, it doesn't matter if you have trained for 50 years, anyone can pick up a weapon and kill you.

9. siyeo

siyeo Valued Member

I utterly and totally disagree with you.

10. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

All right, I'll bite. The risotto I had for dinner could have used about one minute less on the stove, so what the hell. Let's hear about the experiences that led you to develop this particular viewpoint.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The guy with 13/2/3 fighting record can pick up a gun and shot you too. IMO, this is not a fair comparsion. Many years ago, a CMA instructor of the San Francisce China town gang was shot to death by a 12 years old boy. The 12 years old boy knocked on the door, the CMA instructor open the door, the gun was fired. There is nothing that anybody can prevent that from happening.

12. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

But he's less likely to do it first, which was the one redeeming point to all of Ace's other BS.

13. jonwade

jonwade Valued Member

I think that the most important question is, who really cares? People do MMA and TMA for different reasons. It's like saying a modern Ford saloon can beats a Austin 1300 in a race. People do not drive Austin 1300's to win road races with kids in shiney Fords.

What would be interesting is a true fight between a TMA and MMA where both follow their rules, i.e. the MMA follows strict MMA rules and the TMA has none. Maybe he would win then?

But, does it really matter? Can a judoka beat a boxer if the boxer is not where a gi? Can a fencer beat a rifleman? Different rules, different styles, different goals.

14. Ace of Clubs

Martial artists as a general rule are nice guys, the longer someone trains the wiser they get and the more likely they are going to try and negotiate their way out of a problem (which is a good thing).

Martial artists learn to defend themselves from aggressors, all you need to do to beat them is not be an aggressor.

I've met all sorts of people from all manner of styles and I have never had any problems with anyone because I always have a smile on my face and a passive attitude.

MMA and TMA guys look for posturing, they look for a reaction or an equal show of force. If you just relax, smile and offer a handshake you won't have any problems with you.

Fighting is stupid and inefficient and my techniques aren't limited to punches, kicks, and throws. Sometimes a smile, a kind word, and a pat on the back is all you need to win a battle.

:cool: Keep laughing.

15. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I've got a list of places and names for you to check out if you think that's the case with all of the Bujinkan.

I once defused a potentially violent situation by shouting on top of my lungs that Wittgenstein is a complete and utter crap philosopher. However I don't think it would have helped protect myself from a German idiot at a seminar hell-bent on demonstrating he was capable of knocking me around.

16. Ace of Clubs

I don't need a list. They will get what's coming to them, one way or another.

Nature has a way of sorting itself out, just smile and don't interfere.

17. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Don't tell me you think the Bujinkan will spawn it's own set of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold?

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Okay Ace, I've gotta compliment you for that. Those two posts were absolutely nuts. If there ever was verbal kuzushi, that was it.
    For the record, I agree 100%.

19. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

This thread fails in all aspects

20. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

A big statement that requires back up.
    When are you back in Australia?

My best mate is an MMA instructor that travels to Queensland frequently to train with fighters up there. I'd like to see first hand what you mean so I'll come up too to experience exactly what it is your claiming here.

Kind regards
    Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.