Needs of the Martial Artist

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Matias, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Il Duce

Il Duce Valued Member

Reminds me of that movie 'Kung Pow', best martial arts movie ever made. Anyone seen?

Wimp Lo - "Ha! How do you like 'my nuts to your fist' style?!"

2. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

No actually it's based on the Muay Thai I trained in. You are conditioned to be able to take a punch, as well as injure the opponent's impacting areas with strike-like block (hard to describe anyone that did muay thai knows what I mean). Palm tree is not letting the opponent hit you, simply improving the ability to take a punch.

3. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

And guys you all treat my work like its my final; that I think it is perfect. You fail to notice that I am creating a martial art; and ideas arn't born perfect. You gotta start somewhere, so forgive me for trusting the prejudice of some M.A.P. members to its development.

Matt

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sod improving my ability to take a punch. I want to develop my ability to strike a devastating punch.

5. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Yes this MA is composed of a lot you know. I can't beleive you would think that just because I do this I don't do this. Incredible.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You mean crushes.

Matt has got a point about Palm Tree though:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ffs_5DMJLw"]Jean-Claude Van Damme: Kickboxer Training (1989) - YouTube[/ame]

(Jump to 0:50)

7. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Finally, someone that doesnt call me a jackass! :D jk

8. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

To Strike a Human
    will carry satisfaction
    But is it righteous?

9. illegalusername

Posting in poem
    To stop myself from swearing
    like a volcano.
    Suddenly, i have become
    the Most Angriest Mapper

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

You got a point there illegal. I suppose punching someone in the face carries its pleasurable properties, but IMO, it is not right. People have to learn to restrain themselves. This kind of control is a cornerstone of most MA training.

11. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Really? Because I've been called a jackass, a fantasizer, a disgrace, an idiot, and a fool, and I'm not that ticked off :D

Why presume my stupidity so,
    Why see me as nothing but toll,
    You have stepped on my esteem's toes,
    You've shoved misery up my soul.

Beat that! :p

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'm glad I read over this thread because:
    :D OMDG :D I haven't laughed so much since... just OMG :D

13. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Haaaa :D thats awesome

14. illegalusername

You rhymed "so" with "toes"
    How you thought that would work out
    Defies all logic

15. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Things like that; logic, common sense, sanity; they really are no fun :D

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

*sigh* I suppose that says it all, really.

Would you like some magazines to read while you get your ass handed to you? again?

5, 7, 5.... and the response is even in haiku. Now that's real class.

17. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

You really can't take a joke can you? :D

18. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

A little message from the management:

Please don't feed the trolls. We'll be cleaning the crap for days otherwise

19. SleepySasquatch

SleepySasquatch Valued Member

Firstly, congratulations on your new home. I hope you're finding it comfortable :hat:

Onto the matter of using nature as a basis for developing fighting techniques. The primary issue is that doing such a thing would only prove superfluous in the long run. Such would present some handy analogies no doubt, but surely when describing, for example, the placement of ones legs in a BJJ style armbar I could just as easily say "bring your legs together like you're quickly trapping his arm in a vice" as I could say "bring your legs together like the snap of an alligators jaws".

There's little doubt that at some point in history mankind observed other animals for the purposes of using their fighting methods alongside their own (lest we forget humans are a part of nature too) but this was some time ago and we have grown to the point where such is almost irrelevant. To offer advice on fighting based upon the methods of other animals rather than what has been proven to be effective in some manner in this day and age would probably only be detrimental.

Regarding your thoughts that martial arts can act as a representation of life I would concur but emphasise that so do most things. The principles of life (transfer and exertion of energy, balance, control etc) should be capable of being noticed in all actions and contexts due to the very fact that they are principles and not guidelines. This may be especially present in martial arts though but it's difficult to deduce due to individual perception. Interesting thought though.

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i vote for illegalusername's title being changed to "most angriest mapper"