Be honest

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Van Zandt, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So what's the answer then? More cops with guns?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Give the kids alternatives.I know for a fact that most of the kids don't want to be in gangs and carry weapons BUT there is nothing else offered to many of them.

I spent twenty two years attempting to introduce martial arts,guitar and art lessons to deprived areas of Glasgow and it was working (for many).

Then the politicians started to demand that it also made a profit!!! Glasgow city council works hard to provide these.

I still get young people coming up to me in the street and saying they remember me "from the old days". Makes it seam all worth while to me.

One from the archives.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So what's the answer then? More cops with guns?

I don't think there is an answer. Actually I don't think there's even a question that needs an answer.
    Have a look at this vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk[/ame]

We actually live in pretty peaceful times as it goes. There'll always be muppets that want to fight each other over turf or whatever and they'll use whatever weapons are most prevelant in their country. But actually we are slowly getting more and more civilised I think.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

van zandt's link gave me an idea. there should be a self defense oriented belt that you can remove just by tugging on it. easy to use, good range, belt buckles hurt like a mother<beep>er, and people trained in flexible weapons(ninjers, kf people, silat dudes, etc) can get extra functionality out of them

5. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

So surely the question doesn't disappear, but changes to, "How can we speed this "civilization process"?"

6. koyo

Been done fish. Typical gang members used to put a heavy belt over their shoulder under their jacket some sharpened the buckle. Reach in grab the belt and you have a makeshift nunchaku.

Ah the old days and old ways.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

"How can we speed this "civilization process"?"

Don't act like a d!ck and all's good. Each person does their little bit.

8. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Yeah cause that's proven to work :p

How do we ensure that people do their bit then?

9. koyo

You can't ............rather like a crowd watching someone getting beaten up and thinking that's terrible and doing nothing.

Sad really.

All you can do is do your bit and make a difference however small.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah cause that's proven to work

Have you watched the video? It IS working. :)
    We live in times with the least chance of violent death we've ever faced.
    What's not working about that?

11. Fish Of Doom

proper education

i grew up in paraguay (a place where my country is hated pretty much for no reason), and even so, barring my occasional bouts of misanthropic cynism, i think i'm a pretty good guy*

*whereas someone with a different set of parents and friends, or with different experiences at school, in the same environment, would have turned out pretty screwed up (more than me, at least)

12. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

might wanna look at some stripper stores for that one

13. Fish Of Doom

hahahha, good call

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Shooting someone is less personal than sliding several inches of steel into their body. That in and of itself does make it easier. Some shootings are completely accidental as well. The shooter had their finger on the trigger, flinched thanks to either being scared or doing something with their other hand, and the gun went off.

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I was thinking about straight up executions hadn't thought about accidental :bang:

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't know, quite honestly. But, while I understand the drive to get home and see your wife, heroism be damned, I can't help wondering how I'd ever look her or my daughter in the eyes again, knowing that I'd left someone else's wife and someone else's daughter alone, without a chance.

I'm not sure what kind of life that would leave me with, truthfully. It's not a question of heroism. It's abject terror, either way. The visceral, immediate terror of getting hurt or killed versus the more abstract terror of knowing that I'd come up wanting in a life-or-death situation.

Everyone who's ever put their life on the line wanted to get home to someone.

Stuart

p.s. I have gotten involved in less dire situations than that one. Nearly got arrested for my trouble. Not really comparable. But thought it beared mentioning.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree with you 100% there. If there is no love, passion, concern, help, sacrifice ... . The world is not worthwhile for us to live in it. We may all did something “stupid” when we were young. But when we look back, we may be glad that we did with courage and honor. The day when we die, that may be the only thing that we feel proud about ourselves.

I did rescue a girl on the street once. I got a tight head lock on the attacker, the guy thought I was going to kill him and screamed, "Please don't kill me", and the girl was more scare to me than the original attacker. I let go my head lock, the guy took off one direction and the girl took off in another direction. I stood there on the street corner and felt I was an idiot and the bad guy myself. That was not what I expected.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I did forget to mention something in my improvised weapons post I wanted to share: your keys. Not the silly Wolverine claws in your hand technique, but this method is pretty sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzIX8v2edY"]YouTube- Minimum Damage, Maximum Effect[/ame]

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Regarding screwdrivers, I asked a police officer a while back if it was legal for a UK citizen to carry a screwdriver. He said it was fine as long as the person had a legitimate reason for carrying it. But I've heard other people say, as in the video, it's perfectly legal without the need to justify carrying it.

Anyone know anything more concrete?

20. koyo

Rather like bokken and jo it must be wrapped up and you must be going or coming from a venue not simply carrying it in your hand.

I love the idea of a hoody carrying a single golf club and no balls (so to speak) in the town centre.