Anyone heard of this?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

about 2.786 days. On horseback.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No point training on horseback for teh str33ts.

Everyone knows the TKDers will kick you right off that sucker.

Mitch

3. puma

puma Valued Member

How many breaks do you reckon they need? It sounds hard work!

4. Alcatraz

Alcatraz Valued Member

I would like to see your evidence of this.

Also, if you read my first post on this topic, I quite clearly state that I'm all for people making a living out of teaching martial arts, infact one of my closest friends runs three full time location Dojo in and around Dublin over in Ireland where the training is beyond excellent.

However, both my wife and I have well paid jobs, therefore, I CHOOSE to give back from arts which I have studied for 33 of my near 40 years.

As a matter of fact I would argue that my training is harder than many pro instructors because I can have a 'My way or Highway' attitude as I don't have to rely on teaching Martial Arts as a source of income.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hi John

It's more logic than evidence. A person who trains and teaches full time will reach the equivalent standard of someone who only does the same part time in a shorter chronological space. They also have more time to devote to getting better at what they do. That's why in all areas of sport the professionals are full time, as are their coaches and support staff. A part time sports masseur is not going to get as much hands on or experience as a full time one.

Apologies, my mistake. It came across a little negative in that post to me.

And there is nothing wrong with that. You have devoted time to get the experience to get good enough to teach. My point is that I believe that the majority of MA classes are undersold compared to other physical choices (yoga, gym, aerobics, ballet, pilates, fencing). You have a distinct advantage over a professional instructor because you have the other income. I would rather you charged more and gave the profit you don't want to charity (or created bursaries for poorer students) than charged less because you are not reliant on the income.

You are right that it is a difficult choice to choose between standards and cash. However, I've never let that get in the way of encouraging a bad student to leave by giving them verbal warnings, holding them at a grade, refusing to progress their training or kicking them out of the club. However a good instructor in an established club with high standards shouldn't be too troubled by that problem.

6. puma

puma Valued Member

Someone told me this guy has had 2 kids join that did weapons with another club, and now he has a kobudo class taught by them apparently! I can't get on the website any more thought to look.