Does soke have views of other...

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by K¡a¡, Aug 15, 2007.

1. K¡a¡

K¡a¡ Valued Member

Has soke Hatsumi ever talk about other martial arts and what he thought of them?

i remember reading somewhere that in the late 60s-70s he journeyed to other places to check out other arts to compare what he had learned from his teacher.
    I ask because there are many wounderful martial arts out there that have different ways of fighting and strategy and soke himself came from many arts before he was taught by grandmaster Toshitugu Takamatsu.

So did Soke Hatsumi ever voice his views of other arts or his past martial arts?
    Did he ever compare them to bujinkan taijutsu?
    This is a real question!
    this is not ment to be a flame starter.
    So lets be all civil from the replies in this thread.
    Thank you.

2. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

There's a video on youtube of him trashing Aikido if I recall correctly. I'm too lazy to find a link. He's talking and there's a circle of guys around him and Stephen and Rumiko are there.

3. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

yes I have seen it too on youtube.

I know he was a dan rank in Judo, but wasn't Hatsumi also high ranked in Aikido? Or am I mistaken?

4. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

You`re mistaken.

5. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Not a good post.

6. K¡a¡

K¡a¡ Valued Member

Hmmm, was he really putting down aikido?
    To me he is just stating that he belives from his martial arts experience that his taijutsu can give a better response.
    No different than others over here telling us how we have to train differently in taijutsu to make this 600-900 year old battlefield art more effective,
    The only difference is that most posters are not a high level teacher or a grandmaster recommending there opinionated experience.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  7. K¡a¡

K¡a¡ Valued Member

I ment no offence,
    As i stated there are many wounderful arts out there and i was curious if Soke has stated any public views on them.

8. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Things mentioned in the dojo aren`t public views, go read some of his books.

9. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Neither is this :p

Also, I'd imagine what's written in 'some of his books' IS for public view, so why not discuss that here?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  10. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Or that ;)

11. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Well, he wrote a book called "martial arts of the world" where he examines different arts from all around the globe. As far as I know he has also made quite extensive research into other koryu arts, having collected quite a few densho´s and other books on the subject.

Regards / Skuggvarg

12. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Ingenius, enough pointless posts?

I'm kind of interested in this kind of thing, not Hatsumi specifically but MA masters in general. Would be interesting to see his view on Boxing, MT etc.
    My WC teacher loves all martial arts really, showed us a video of him getting battered in Judo.

13. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Then go ask him. People quote and misquote Hatsumi sensei all the time. It isn`t something to be put out there for all the web to see. Anybody that seriously puts out what Hatsumi sensei is saying, have better have a good reason for saying it and two better know what they are talking about.

Its best just to get a book and read the PUBLIC view Hatsumi sensei has.

So, hows that for a pointless post! :p :D

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Geez some people are way too oversensitive. I don't want to buy Hatsumi's books though I would be mildly curious to read what people who have or who train under him post about his views. This is a message board and so discussing things like this shouldn't be such a big deal. Of course people's opinions or anecdotes may not reflect Hatsumi's true opinion but we all know that. If you don't want to discuss the topic and it just upsets you then I don't see the point of posting in the thread just stay out and let other people discuss it!

15. K¡a¡

K¡a¡ Valued Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!!!!!!
    Martial arts of the world, sells at
    $300!!!!!!!
    Is there any other reprints that are not over hundreds of dollars!
    Sad i would of luv to read that book!
    Is it really worth $300!?

16. Victoria

$300 really? :eek:

17. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

i dont think anyone of substance will be putting quotes from Hatsumi on here anytime soon, i have some but i doubt i would embarrass myself by adding them on here as they are now 3rd party so i do not know the context they were in, gossip is great!! :D

18. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Kiai said:-
    So.....many.....exclamation.....marks. Can't.....see.....words! o_O' :D

Where in the nine hells did you see it being sold for that crazy price? I've bought quite a few copies straight off the shelf in Tokyo bookshops and it was something like fifteen quid or so IIRC (I may be mistaken about the exact price so please don't be mad if I'm slightly out).

btw, the book is actually called "Martial Arts in the World" (not Martial Arts of the World as mentioned earlier).

Attached Files:

19. Victoria

That cover has all Kanji, Hiragana, AND Katakana. Japanese is confusing :bang:

Thanks for that Andy. I had a kitten when I saw $300 for a book :D

20. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

The title 'Sekai no Martial Arts' translates to 'the martial arts of the world' or 'the world's martial arts'. It's a pretty interesting book. I can get this book for you if you are interested, for a lot less than $300.00. PM me if you are interested.