I Want to do the Splits!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't have much time. More on the weekends.

2. Top Gun

Top Gun New Member

Flexibility

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

You should be going to ballet and/or yoga classes, youngster! :cool: :hat: Also, google "floor barre". ETA: yoga blocks are helpful.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I wrote this for Chadderz, but a few of you have asked for it so here it is. Remember, it's just one way of doing things.

Method

Isometric/PNF stretches are the most effective way to do the splits. By "effective" I just mean they get you there quicker. They're even more effective after a warm-up and when followed by relaxed/static stretches. That said, here are some important points:

1) You can do them without a warm-up.

2) You don't have to do relaxed stretches after them.

Cutting out warm-ups and relaxed stretches is where you'll save the most time. Just means you'll lose some of the effectiveness, although some of that can be retained if you tack them on the end of another workout.

There are tons of ways to do PNF stretches. You could spend a lifetime experimenting until you find the best one for you. You're probably better off picking arbitrary numbers and tweaking it depending on your results. Here's a basic method to get you started:

1) Increase the stretch (carefully) over a count of ten.
    2) Tense the stretched muscle for a count of seven.
    3) Relax and immediately repeat step 1.
    4) Repeat step 2.
    5) Releat step 1.
    6) Releat step 2, but for a count of thirty.

Some notes:

• Build tension slowly, reaching 100% effort by the fourth second. Tension should be held steady.

• You can increase the amount you open your legs during step 1 by making the surface you're stretching on more slippy, like resting your feet on thick glossy magazines if you're stretching on carpet. You only use a glossy mag for the front foot during front splits (the back foot stays where it is).

• Use chairs to spot yourself by taking up some of your weight with your hands. A chair in front of you during side splits, and a chair either side of you during front splits. You want to take as much weight off your legs as you can during step 1 (to relax your muscles and better increase the stretch) and put as much weight on your legs during step 2 (to intensify the contractions).

• When doing step 1 during side splits, you can greatly increase the stretch by trying to extend your legs from the hips while letting your body weight drop to the floor. Try to visualise pushing the walls apart with your hips or pulling your hips out of their sockets.

• When doing step 1 during front splits, repeat this same visualisation technique but with the front leg only. You can get extra increases by locking out your back leg and pushing against the floor with your back foot (so the front foot slides out - it's like a really long forward lunge).

• Your back knee will rest on the floor during step 2 in front splits. So it's basically: start off in a kneeling lunge, lift yourself up and slide your front foot out, put your back knee on the floor and tense, lift up, slide out, put down, tense, and so on. You might want to wear a wrestling knee pad.

• Breathing: Breathe in fully when you take up your weight/lift yourself up with your hands, and breathe out slowly as you increase the stretch. Breathe shallow when contracting.

One set = 2 x 7-second contractions, and 1 x 30-second contraction. Stick with one set to begin with, and add a set every six workouts. I usually recommend about 2 minutes rest between sets, but change the time to whatever you like (although you'll probably agree more is better when you actually do more than one set).

A set usually takes about 1.5 to 2 minutes (depending on how fast or slowly you count). With about two minutes rest between each set, you can see how a workout of 5 sets will take about 20 minutes.

It's unknown whether you'll hit full splits by the time you're doing 5 sets in a workout. At that point, it's up to you if you increase the intensity by adding more sets or by adding weight. Do whichever you prefer. But if you're smashing heavy squats and deadlifts with full range for those movements, you could very well be hitting 180° by that point.

Frequency

I prefer a three day split.

3 day split
    Day 1: Side split.
    Day 2: Left front split.
    Day 3: Right front split.

On the fourth day, go back to Day 1.

It's possible to do this routine every day without rest because you're stressing different muscle groups in each workout. But listen to your body and throw in a rest day if you feel like it. And you'll need to consider the impact any existing strength training you do will have on your recovery.

An alternative might be to do both left and right front splits on the days you do posterior work, and side splits when you do squats and other movements. Your progress will obviously slow down as a result, but it all depends on what your goals are. If you're struggling to fit the splits work in, show me your schedule and I'll see what I can come up with.

And that's it. I've kept it as bare bones as I can. Let me know if you have any questions.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Traditional ballet and yoga techniques often lead to stagnation in adult males.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

One visit to 'Merikuh and you'll be doing beyond 180 degree splits, just by stepping on our soil.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

A 180° turn in the opposite direction back to the Holy Land.

8. Ero-Sennin

To bring Freedom and Democracy back there, of course.

Heathen

9. matveimediaarts

I'll take your word for it. But it works for me! :) :hat:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Freedom and democracy originated here.

Bit like your country, really.

11. matveimediaarts

LOL :D Where would the world be without imperialist democracy-ings all over the place?

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Alabama.

13. Ero-Sennin

/me pours out a cup of tea while looking you straight in the eye, a condescending look upon his face.

14. matveimediaarts

You say like there's something bad about Alabama... :p I fart in your general direction!

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

At least something bad is better than nothing good.

17. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Sincerely appreciated, that is great!

18. Top Gun

Top Gun New Member

Thanks VZ for sharing the info, it is very helpful to me and I am sure to others too.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No problem.

Hope it made sense.

20. Ero-Sennin

A Britishen making incest jokes . . . . . . . . ::facepalm:: That's one for royalty right there.