My theory regarding BJJ and Japanese Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by GojuShotokan, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

A stand up fighter being on a comparable level to the wrestler/BJJ will not be going to the ground any time soon in a real confrontation. He has to finish the job before getting taken down and getting choked out (possibly killed).The wrestler has to get the fight to the ground.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

1993 called - they want there paradigm shift back

That is such an ill-informed and ill-considered opinion I am not even arguing with it

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Both depending on what mood he's in.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It was literally "no rules" fighting. What do you think they could have done differently in a "real life" situation?

5. FunnyBadger

Have you been taught How to 'anti grapple'* then? When a wrestler/judoka wants to grab you it's quite hard to keep them at range, mma and street fight videos show how often fights become grappling.

*Ameridote anyone ?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. Hannibal

Jeff I have told you before about bring proven facts and empirical evidence into these discussion....... :D

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd like to add that there are Gracie challenge matches where the opponent tries to go for the groin and/or eyes but the positional dominance hierarchy employed in bjj means they aren't in a position to be successful.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

We've met some different wrestlers

I usually end up getting grabbed, slapped by "accident" and thrown with a wrestler standing over me then backing away to let me get back up and slap me down again.

and that was in sparring, i imagine it would end with a head kicking in real life. wrestlers ive met love beating people down psychologically

9. Hannibal

You actually met wrestlers - that's the difference

10. FunnyBadger

Whoopsie my bad, il go back and sit quietly in the corner :vanish:

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Is this thread real? I'm not imagining it am I? People don't think like this anymore do they?

12. itf-taekwondo

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The problem is you pick an art, then seem to make claims against it.

It's the person more often then not that makes something effective, more than it is the art.

Of course some arts seem more combative, but that's no good if you can't the techniques work for you.

As I've said, "how good are you"?

Is your jab the best it can be, do you have the best side kick on your class, or do you have the cleanest takedowns.

If the answer is no, then you have more to do in your own art before you can start taking apart others.

I have repeatedly said that SD is separate from regular classes, but if you've really worked something to be the very best it can be, then you'll be a handful for anyone, whatever the art.

You however seem to be a junior level student taking every article at face value and without the understanding to look deeper.

14. Pretty In Pink

Did you read the article? In halfway through and he says basically "Gracie/old school BJJ is okay for street fights, sport BJJ isn't."

BJJ isn't great for street fighting IMO, and GJJ wouldn't be my go-to either, but what if I get in a fight with a judoka or rugby player? Better to know my grous game than not ;)

Answer my questions on the previous page please :)

15. itf-taekwondo

Your opinions of me must be very low if you assume I base my viewpoints on articles.

I would never claim BJJ beats or loses to a striker (I will include kicks in that). But the result is not a foregone conclusion. They all train BJJ for MMA. The rules are favouring wrestling. There is no urgency in getting taken to the ground, since they all train it. And trying to KO someone and killing him is not the same thing.

Thus fighting in competition and real life is not the same. If we add the factor of several opponents, then wrestling cannot survive on it's own. The other guys will kick him in the head when wrestling on the ground.

In that way however, one must be critical of wrestling (on it's own) in street fighting. It's a pretty darn good weapon alongside striking however.

16. Pretty In Pink

I agree, mostly. I disagree with "fighting in competition and to the death are different in intensity". You are right that in a cage you can take your time, go 100mph or anywhere in between. It's also true that some things are illegal in MMA. Where we disagree is that fighting to the death and competition are not equal in their struggle.

I again refer to the Gracie challenges, where it was literally "anything goes". In those situations where both participants were willing to die, what could the challengers have done differently to stop what the Gracie's did?

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Durr....ITF Taekwondo of course. A real martial art.

18. itf-taekwondo

They challenged strikers such as Benny Urquidez, found out he had a background in jiu Jitsu and the match never happened.

Gene le bells weight was put into question (believe it or not), having him as the challenger. There's aloth of controversy in these challenges. I don't know how much is just made up or not, but it's there.

It wasn't exactly world class strikers put to the test. And I am highly critical of their strategical approaches, yes. I don't think they confronted BJJ agressively and dynamic enough.

I was not aware the rules were anything goes. Are you telling me these were potential death matches?

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Man… see this is why I thought you were a Steven Seagal groupie. Stuff like this.

20. FunnyBadger

If you cannot beat an opponent in a controlled environment what makes you think you could outside of that controlled environment on 'dem str33tz wiv all da shanks an all dat innit'

They are not one and the same but if you can't KO/takedown/lockup someone in the ring how can you think you can outside when there is so much more stopping you? Punching the throat is not dissimilar from punching the chin, kicking the knee is not dissimilar from kicking the thigh if you can't manage with the sport one you won't manage with the 'street' version.

if you are questioning how fair the challenge matches were well yeah they were unfair, sometimes the odds were stacked against the bjj'ers. The weight difference was shocking some times and whilst the opponents were not up to the standard you consider world class no one 'better' took up the challenge, what does that tell you?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.