JKD simplified for MAP users

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fujian Animal, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i agree

i also would like to clarify the whole purpose of my OP, it wasnt a cocky way of saying 'go train' but rather a simple gesture, we tend to spend less time questioning and arguing when we are busy working and being productive, and the basic point i was trying to make is this, the whos and whats, whens, wheres and hows of bruce lee and things of the past or present are much less important than self-examination and training, which i think is what bruce lee really wanted any way, it was his dying wish that we not get hung up on silly arguments about jkd

just do it

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Philosophy seems like an odd choice of major for someone who discourages self-examination and discussion

3. Fujian Animal

you took my words out of context and mixed two of my statements into one, which is not what i said at all, taiji is not anywhere a part of the jkd formula, and why ask me anyway if you say my answers are so unreliable? to prove im an idiot? i couldve told you that from the beginning..... but really, why? i mean, if you really want to learn jkd that bad, go to a school that teaches jkd, and if you want the jkd formula, google it, it isnt hard to find, a million people have already posted it, in fact its on this forum

i mentioned yang tai chi as a minor part in the beginning process which led to jkd, i said nothing in regards to the jkd formula which is the end result of that process and has nothing at all to do with taiji

i train jeet kune do..... how i train, where i train, who i train with, etc etc etc is of no concern to anyone but me, i know what im doing for myself and thats all that matters to me, i might say a thing or two to try and help others on this forum, or i might add my own two cents to a conversation, but really it doesnt matter, the only thing that matters is doing whatever works for you

THAT is jkd

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You said
    ... in response to Simon's question about whether you should start with Jun Fan.

Can you quote ME on that? Because I don't recall typing it.

So what would you have people do? Tacitly accept what you've said simply because you've simplified it for us?

The very practice you've said ISN'T JKD. And any research at all on the topic would quickly show that there isn't one codified or widely accepted formula for JKD. That's the whole point.

So what's the formula? Taiji isn't in it. That's fine. What is?

5. Fujian Animal

ask hannibal, im not qualified.... or just ask wikipedia

im too tired to care right now

so im going to use jkd on you, the art of fighting without fighting lol

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Your call.

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Lee,as a kid, learned Wu,C-c's T'ai Chi system's form from his dad.No evidence he learned/attempted to employ it as a fighting system.He continued the form practice up to his death.

He was probably defeated when he was doing Hung Gar. See Glover's writings.

All the Wong fight really showed him was the quality of WC footwork--totally inefficient for pursuit.

Your last sentence is a cop-out.Amazing how many guys who trained a lot seemed to also have the time to do lots of research and fact checking-like a guy I can think of named Lee.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm led to believe the only person certified to teach JKD is Dan Inosanto and if memory serves he was given this letter of certification by Linda Lee.

So you could argue that the only ones doing JKD are the ones who have a lineage back to Dan.

Everyone else, Fujian Animal included may train in line with JKD concepts (which is fine), but they're not doing JKD.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have PDF of that letter :)

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

please post it

The first thing about JKD is not to talk about JKD :D

11. Simon

I'm not sure it should be posted.

My JKD Instructor has seen it, but like many things Dan has, they're private.

I don't think he's ever made it public, so maybe it should stay that way.

You'll just have to take our word for it in this instance.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It isn't that I thought it was private, some things are made public, therefore, I thought it was posted somewhere

Additionally, is not about challenging nor having doubt, per challenging a word, it is more of a genuine curiosity

13. Kave

Kave Lunatic

According to the information I could find, the letter used to hang on the wall at the Inosanto Academy in Los Angeles (http://noner.blogspot.co.nz/2005/03/frustrated-incorporated.html) which suggests secrecy isn't (or at least wasn't) a concern. The letter is reasonably widely referred to across the web. Apparently the letter states:

I would love to see the pdf of the original letter (and while I am making requests I would also really like to see a pdf of the infamous Paula Inosanto letter of 1993). I find the lineage wars really fascinating.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Source please?

I was under the impression he died quite suddenly and had no time for last wishes. So, he had a seizure but came to to express that we not get hung up on JKD arguments? Didn't say goodbye to his wife and kids, but talked about jkd? Really?

I am dubious of this claim.

How would you know his dying wishes? Where is any evidence of this transpiring at all?

Because I think you are putting your words in Bruce Lee's mouth to give your thoughts legitimacy. Please show me if I am wrong.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It was the last words he wrote in the Tao of JKD - not the same as his dying wish at all, which I am sure was "Damn! Wish I hadn't taken that Equagesic...."

Still as it was the last thing in the book it has sort of become a "Last Will and Testament" kind of a deal, even though it technically isn't a book and you are actually reading his lecture notes on martial arts

16. Fujian Animal

what is jkd, if not a chinese american martial art? bruce lee combined mainly south east asian martial arts like gung fu, escrima, jujutsu and muay thai, with the western arts like epee, savate, boxing and wrestling, and bruce practiced those with his friends..... there may have been others, but i think the art bruce lee used most in a real fight was specifically unique to him, something more instinctive

17. Fujian Animal

wing chun practices punching at the air, jeet kune do does not

18. Simon

You do know that Bruce incorporated 26 different arts into his JKD, right?

Is that the best you can do?

You've not simplified JKD at all and going to seminars does not a JKD student make, that much is evident.

So the casual observer is confused, or put off, and the experienced JKD exponent is left wondering why you're making newby claims and stating them as fact.

I'd leave it alone to be honest.

19. Fujian Animal

you do not have to speak to make a wish, nor have only one wish, but what i meant was that i believe mister lee's main concern up until he passed away was that his family and friends be at peace, and not get too concerned with political rubbish, i mean, its okay to research, and okay to talk about jkd, but dont let it take your peace, just keep moving

20. Simon

Okay, MOD note. I think you're now trolling.

I'll not let this forum (or any other) become a place where someone posts a load of nonsense which draws everyone into an argument.

If you don't know, don't post, or, if you don't know, ask.

Further "I think, but can't be bothered to check" posts will be removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.