Shooting Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by God of War, Jul 24, 2013.

1. God of War

God of War New Member

Will MAP have a shooting forum in the future? I ask because it is a form of self defense and it is a fighting discipline that is used by millions of people.
    :woo::woo:

Thanks for the reply.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I sincerely hope not.

You have 3 posts here. Surely, if you wanted to discuss firearms, you could have joined a shooting forum?

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There is some firearms discussion in self-defense and some in weapons, but for the most part, you'd be better served at a dedicated firearms forum like www.thehighroad.org or www.shotgunworld.com.

EDIT: Also remember that MAP is primarily UK-based and firearms are not a primary part of self-defense there like they are in the States.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Additionally, the legal limits are different for every country. Because of this, so will strategies and tactics. This can range from when you are allowed to use what type of force, which weapon, and which type of ammo. In an international setting, a 'self defense with guns' forum is just a very bad idea.

5. Sampsi

Sampsi Valued Member

I think I'd leave the UK if guns became a norm in self defence situations over here and as Mitlov said MAP is largely UK based.

6. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I will vote for a gun forum, but only if it contains a flame thrower sub forum! =p

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't see why you couldn't have a forum relating to guns and shooting. Judging by some of the threads about it, there seems to be enough interest in the subject.

The fact that MAP is UK based doesn't matter, as far as I can see. You do get people here who shoot as a hobby or as a sport.

The only problem I could see would be if it becomes a magnet for arguments over the pros and cons of gun control. We have had some very good threads on that subject, but the majority tend to spiral rapidly downwards into slanging matches. I don't think that the mods would be exactly queueing up to take responsibility for a guns forum!

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We have a weapons forum and have had many threads regarding guns, so I personally don't see the need for a sub-section.

These are my own thoughts; I've not discussed this with the MOD Team.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

On reflection, I agree with Simon. The weapons forum is perfectly adequate. We don't need a seperate forum for every type of weapon going.

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

How about we do the usual process: if you start a thread about shooting, start the thread title with [shooting] and after a couple of months, if there's enough of such threads to warrant a sub-forum, we can look into it.

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

You can have a forum about shooting etc, but not a forum for 'gun based self defense' because of the different legal systems. Anyone's opinion would be irrelevant to anyone else because what is legal for A would be illegal for B, and that includes not only the scenarios in which one would use a gun, but also which guns and which ammo are used.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

But that's true for ALL self-defense. Is it legal to take a pre-emptive swing at someone you reasonably believe is about to mug you? If someone takes a swing at you, is it legal to follow them to the ground after knocking them down? If someone breaks into your house but just appears to be stealing property instead of looking for people to harm, can you take a swing at them? The legality in each of these scenarios depends on the country.

I think of the self-defense forum as a place to discuss tactics, with the implied caveat that not everything discussed in every thread is legal in every jurisdiction.