Does anyone actually need to learn self defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Look at my recent posts about % techniques for a start.

Mitch

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You're darn tootin'. If you don't walk out of your house every morning with the mindset to kick anyones butt who challenges your ego, knowing everybody is blessed to be in your presence, and knowing that shaking hands and kissing babies is your obligation to the world, then you're doing it wrong. Anyone not doing that should just learn to bend over and take it because they don't stand a chance in life, they're here to serve.

Jeez, common sense right?

3. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Did I say top level fighter? Nope.

As my view in the whole thread has been that people should learn to fight to the highest level they can and that I don't believe In S D then the sentence you put does is not exactly what I think, no. It's worded wrong for me to disagree or agree with.

4. Mitch

Ok.

You believe people should learn to fight to the highest level they are capable of and should be taught by someone of a, "high enough level to pass it on," though you haven't defined what you mean by that yet.

Fair?

Mitch

5. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I'm afraid there is not a single question mark in that post.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You said "there are no quick fixes", I said "where did anyone say otherwise" and you reply with "I did" when you actually didn't?

Wow

7. Hannibal

Some people don't believe in gay marriage but it happens anyway

I actually AM rated as a high level practitioner (whatever that means) and I have Lots of experience in violence.

You can disagree all you want - you are just wrong that's all.

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of fact

How good at fighting do you expect an 80 year old lady in a wheelchair to be?

8. Mitch

It doesn't need any, it's a statement asking you to review recent posts, not a question :)

But if that's too much bother for now, just answer my more recent posts with single questions in them.

Mitch

9. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

No, I won't let you put words in my mouth. Did I not say what I thought earlier about S D and what my approach is?

Someone teaching to fight should of been pro to semi pro at some level and been seriously enough to get paid for if or to have engaged in lots of fights or violence in some capacity that can be undisputed and not made up . I would say that was fair enough credentials for any teacher. I wouldn't learn joinery from a DIY guy or surgery from an enthusiastic amateur. They would have to be proven in their field. Proven in some capacity against others with skill

10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

11. Mitch

Those words were taken directly from your posts. I'm not putting words in your mouth. :)

But let's take your new definition, that's fine :)

Now, let's assume that not everyone is blessed with the experience, knowledge and self confidence to avoid fights as much as is possible.

Let's imagine (and we don't have to imagine really, we can see them all around us) that there are people who could learn something about how to conduct themselves and their routine that might help them avoid violence. Not fighting, but the soft skills.

Would you agree that helping these people avoid fights in the first place through some basic awareness training would be a good start, but not all of, their SD training?

Mitch

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Nothing. Which I would have recommended you do after responses to your first post. ;)

13. Hannibal

14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

You said I was pursuing my personal agenda and not answering questions.Those questions were not even there. I've shown that's nonsense so don't try to now get out of it. It's important because it shows which one of us is willing to talk balls.

15. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

These people should not have to pay for that knowledge, they should be directed to free resources or should be pointed in the right direction to be confident, sound, sensible people or towards genuine positive psychology. It's not as big a deal to get on the right track where you have to go on courses or get certified or whatever. Spend money on learning to fight under reputable instruction.

16. Hannibal

And who provides those services and why should they do it for free?

17. Hannibal

One of you certainly is

Now granted you could be a maverick genius fighting the establishment, but then you could also be ill informed and preaching from a position of no valid authority or experience and fighting straw man after straw man with no cogent articulation

18. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

That's where personal responsibility comes into it. Genuine positive psychology,nothing to do with martial arts or S D, and your own building of confidence is a personal thing to develop through failure and success. As I don't buy into S D, the knowledge being passed of is not worth being paid for, therefore it should be free.
    I don't say it's all useless I say it's not as big a deal that's worth a whole industry built on it.

19. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Or I could be neither.

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The desire or need to protect one's self or loved one(s); this is a concern for each and every member of a family. People want to feel secure and safe from "outside" aggressive forces or situations. There exists a most frightening behavior in all humans. Race, sexual, or any other distinguishes do not have a standard preference. There is no escape from the frightening behavior that is basically caused by aggressive attitude. This behavior is termed VIOLENCE.

Modern society is also a violent one, even so under a legal and standardize system. People with negative morals will ignore the laws of the land. People with positive morals obey the laws of the land. The main problem is there are people who break the laws without concern for the consequences. And there are people who obey the laws that face the consequences of those without concern.

Self-defense is not becoming THE solution to violence or violent acts; it is THE ACT TO AVOID in becoming a part of a violent solution. Self defense only works when one makes it workable.

Self-defense is the mental and physical preparation to not become the victim of a violent action. It is the action of good preparation. Self-defense is the mental as well as physical preparation to minimize the possibility of assault. It is to minimize the possibility of engaging in a physical confrontation. It is to train and use all mental and physical resources that are the most modern, practical, comfortable/natural and effective methods if no other alternative is available as well as proper force.

Self-defense is as plain as the two words when spoken or written when combined. To think or teach one absolute or a small group of one style of specialized maneuvers as the ultimate is absurd. The same applies to a class of maneuvers limited to one particular style. All martial art styles have a few good self-defense maneuvers. Not one style has all great maneuvers. Combination of styles is the excellent choice of all.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.