Does anyone actually need to learn self defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think you might be just confused as to the exact point being debated - no one is saying training in a combat system is not a good thing for hard skills or that it isn't useful in an SD setting - what is being said is that it is not a prerequisite for it, nor is it the most significant portion.

The ability to fight is a related discipline but is one piece of an overarching strategy

It might take you a week to learn how to apply a choke under pressure - situational awareness can be improved in 30 minutes or less.

2. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

It's an insulting word from someone who doesn't know me personally but hey oh.

People who are clueless need the truth about violence and should not be given quick fixes. They need the confidence to take responsibility for themselves and maybe genuine positive psychology, not S D instructors or martial arts.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'm sorry that I have made you feel that way, it certainly wasn't my intent. It was used to demonstrate how you are coming across within the context of this thread, it directly related to your comments.

It's not a quick fix though is it? Ultimately it's a wholistic approach to self protection, the reason we have touched on things being done quickly is due to Hannibal's question which gave a time limit.

Within an hour you can't necessarily teach adequate physical skills or ability but you can deliver some basic rules and simple drills. Things that can be worked on at home, solo.

If they have taken the first steps into SD then they are looking to take responsibility.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

No, my point is on a physical level you learn go fight at all ranges to the highest level possible and on a non physical level,develop being a sound, sensible well balanced person, understand real violence and how chaotic and violent a real situation is and take responsibility for yourself. There are no quick fixes.

5. Dean Winchester

Has anyone said there are quick fixes?

There's a difference between saying "I'll teach you this now because it's time efficient and useful" to saying "right learn this now and you'll be able to deal with the bad guys".

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. Hannibal

Show me where was said otherwise

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

But all experience and evidence shows that there are basic steps people can take to help themselves avoid violence. These are the high % techniques.

All experience and evidence shows that you can learn verbal and other communication skills to help in conflict management. These are the next % techniques.

All of this ideally in addition to sound physical training. These are the techniques for when all else fails.

Nobody is saying it's a quick fix.

Nobody is saying you should pay a gajillion pounds for a t shirt.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't train the best physical skills you can as well.

Lots if people are applying the same paradigm as everything from paying the stock market to sitting exams to martial arts competition; work your high % techniques first.

Mitch

8. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

How I'm coming across is not that important to me to put me off making my points. There's no point trying to intimidate me with that approach. Not saying you definitely are but it's pointless.

The big but is why even advertise to be able to be able to do anything S D related in that time. Why not just say the difficult truth and let those who don't want that truth get on with life. I am suggesting a lot of the S D world is suggesting there is actually a quick fix of some kind and preying on those who thing so too. I'd give someone the truth and say, you can't fight and are weak and are probably going to get seriously hurt if attacked so fight for your life and hope for the best but I'll do my best at getting you better at fighting and stronger, it could take a while. Now hop to it grandma.

9. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

[​IMG]

10. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Page 6

11. Dean Winchester

Sorry but you've lost me.

Just what are you getting at?

I made a comment to which you said my turn of phrase came across as insulting.

I apologised and explained the context of my comment. I have no clue why you think people may be trying to put you off or intimidate you.

Well the scenario was hypothetical but who is to say it is restricted to one session? Maybe there are a number of one hour sessions. From that you can explore violence more and get across that they need more.

Hannibal was simply saying if you only had one hour what could be the most useful strategies you could convey.

12. Mitch

So let's move on from discussing the bad SD training.

Nobody said a quick fix should be suggested.

Nobody said that hard truths aren't confronted.

Everyone has said that, given time, physical skills are important.

Can we just take all that as read so you will stop arguing about things people are not saying and start looking at what they have actually typed?

Mitch

13. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

All evidence and experience supplied by people in the S D industry most of the time but as every one is different with different experiences it's not as universal as it seems.
    Let's take pre emotive striking. I am not comfortable with it and believe if I do it then I have started a fight. I must therefore be able to fight to back it up. I will therefore not rely on it like every expert goes on about and they can't tell me otherwise as its my responsibility ....but oh dear it's a crime to go against the experts. It's a load of peer pressure codds wallop with no one daring to question it fully.

14. Hannibal

Still don't see it - which bit specifically? You've been on the boards long enough to know that a page reference is useless without context

15. Hannibal

Pre emptive striking is not an absolute it is an option. You are the one making advice definitive when it isn't - stop making straw men

You don't think you need it? Fine - but the law in the UK ABSOLUTELY permits its so regardless of YOUR personal ethical code, the law says you can do it. So for you to advise otherwise is once again flat out wrong

Now totality I circumstance always enters into it, but you are coming at this with an almost rabid myopia...and you really have no basis in fact for ANY of your assertions.

Common sense isn't as common as it should be - hence people need reminding or in some cases introducing to it.

16. Mitch

I find it very difficult too. But that's one part of what some people teach and regardless of what you believe the law sees it otherwise.

If all you're going to say is, "It's a load of peer pressure codds wallop with no one daring to question it fully." There's not much point going on.

At the moment people are asking you specific things which you then don't answer but rather evade to pursue your personal agenda. That's not debate, that's you restating your agenda.

Can you please engage with what is actually being said?

Mitch

17. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I dont believe in S D or the instructors so it's all pretty bad to me. And why is it me arguing when I am responding to points made about my points and not the other way round.
    I bet lots disagreeing teach S D and have little experience of fighting at a high enough level to pass it on, or with real violence and hence I'm touching a nerve. Any that have neither I strongly disagree should be teaching it. That's a view I have the right to express.

18. Mitch

So all SD instruction is bad unless the instructor is a top level fighter?

Is that what you think?

Mitch

19. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

What specific things am I being asked that I am not addressing?

20. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

My posts on page 6 , my very first ones. I can't cut and paste on the device I am on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.