Pathwalker Guild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The school was at Camasunaray and they used special magnetic weapons to train in the Black Cuilins.
    [​IMG]

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

From Louie Pastore's research:
    "The earliest references to martial training in Scotland comes down to us from the Celtic legends of the warrior, CúChulainn, a ‘Champion of the Red Branch’ who travelled in his youth to Alba (Scotland) to learn the arts of war from Scathach ("The Shadowy One" or "She Who Strikes Fear") a fearsome female expert in martial arts. Her training camp was believed to be based on the Isle of Skye....

The 'student' had to complete a combination of athletic training and fighting techniques described in the Tain Bo Chuailagne – (the Cattle Raid of Cooley), as cleasa or feats.

The Apple-feat: Juggling metal balls which could be thrown to injure or kill an opponent?
    The Edge-feat: Displaying sword guards and angles of attack?
    The Level Shield-feat: Demonstrating the ability to deflect and ward off sword attacks with a shield?
    The Little Dart-feat: Demonstrating the ability to throw a projectile with speed and accuracy?
    The Rope-feat: a training technique using rope?
    The Body-feat: Body building or perhaps the ability to shape shift, distorting the body into Yoga-like positions?
    The Feat of Catt: ? A favourite warrior?
    The Hero's Salmon-leap: This has often been interpreted as an upright vertical leap like a salmon jumping out of the water?
    The Pole-cast: Throwing a pole, or perhaps tossing a caber?
    The Leap over a Blow: This may have been the Swordsman’s Leap which is performed in the Dirk Dance, jumping above an opponent’s sword blow in combat
    The Folding of a noble Chariot-fighter: The ability to duck to avoid javelin throws both on the ground and on a moving chariot?
    The Gae Bulga ('the Barbed Spear'): CuChullain’s special weapon,
    The Vantage (?) of Swiftness: foot-racing or sprinting?
    The Wheel-feat: Lifting & tossing a heavy weight?
    The Rimfeat: Using the rim of a shield as a weapon?
    The Over-Breath-feat: breath control?
    The Breaking of a Sword: Power shots with a sword?
    The Champion's Cry: A war cry or Chi shout?
    The Measured Stroke: Precision cutting with the sword?
    The Side Stroke: Striking with the flat of the Blade?
    The Running up a Lance and Standing Erect on its Point, and Binding of the Noble Hero; extreme martial art skills?

It may come as a surprise that the Scots practiced and developed systems of armed and unarmed combat with dance-like forms or kata, an abdominal shout similar to the Japanese Ki-ai, conditioning exercises and meditation techniques. Scots can be found among many of the western masters who wrote and published treatises of their techniques, styles & theories. They include stick-fighting, swordsmanship and grappling, many of which are illustrated and now widely available on the internet. These arts were practiced throughout the British Isles and Ireland, although on the surface, little evidence remains today, other than those kept alive in the traditions of morris dancing, sword dancing, country fairs and Highland games.

In Scotland, Martial art gymnasiums, referred to in Gaelic as Taigh Suntais, were training schools that existed in the Highlands until the British government proscribed the weapons of the Highlander and dismantled the clan system, after the battle of Culloden in 1746. Similar to the martial art dojo's of Asia, the first recorded taigh suntais was erected by Domhnuil Gruamach, Lord of the Isles in 1400 for his strongmen and wrestlers. In later years, sons of successive clan chiefs created their own gymnasiums where training was often held in the open air. “It was a custom in the Highlands of Scotland before the year 1745 that the gentry kept schools to give instruction to youths in sword exercises, and the laird of Ardsheil kept a school for the instruction of the youth of his own district. He stored the cudgels behind his house. There were cudgels for the lads, and there were cudgels for the laddies, and the lads and laddies went every day to Ardsheil to receive instruction on the cudgel from the laird. After the laddies had received their day's instruction each got a bannock and lumps of cheese. They were then sent to try who would soonest ascend a mountain and eat the bannock and cheese; and whoeverwas first got another bannock and lumps of cheese home with him."

The Bear.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I bet the PG first learned about the "feats" from "Slaine" in the 200AD comic.

[I[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.usMG]http://www.2000ad.nu/mcmahon/com/2ad/2a7.htm[/IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  4. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

And that hasn't been done yet, in spades?

I'm not trying to be a jackass about this, I"m really and truly not. So forgive me if I'm coming across as thick...er than usual... I just sincerely feel we've beaten the topic into a mudstain. I mean, if you can't make your point WELL in 40 pages maybe you're never going to, lol....

@Polarbear... DREAMCRUSHER! :woo:

:D

5. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Thanks. Now I see where most likely their red, green, black "path" stuff came from (or rather where they say it came from).

http://www.marboschool.co.uk/marbo school of martial arts and survival_002.htm

6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Bigmikey you know you could stop reading the thread anytime :whistle:

I have a feeling it is about to get more interesting and we may have some new visitors

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ah, someone else who has a better idea of what I know than myself. So that you know, I believe I attended my first session in the Autumn of 1999.

Nope.

I'll keep my response brief, in the spirit of your post:

The original teaching was in Arabic. I have seen some of this.

I've met a couple of people of Arabic descent who added weight to the possibility of this.

This is all I tell my students, and I'm happy to share that no matter what their grade, or indeed if it is their first session (or indeed strangers on the internet).

It is true that when I was in my late teens and early twenties I used to drink beer. I did not have a particularly healthy lifestyle when I started training. I do now, although I will still drink beer at times.

I do not actually know much about why Jon H left, there seemed to be a lot of gossip and backstabbing going on at the time. I never had any desire to get involved. I've met him a few times since, and it has been perfectly cordial, civil and relaxed.

Seeing as you know my name, are you willing to share yours?

I'll check back every now and again, to see if you have more questions.

8. Bigmikey

Peter, with all due respect, Ive kept my mouth shut quite a bit. If you look back, what have I contributed? Maybe 5 entire posts on the topic of how long are we going to be at this? out of 43 pages, that's not exactly obsessing.

So while I get your point, and agree, understand that pointing that out to me is as unnecessary as 90% of the posts in this thread.

Now, if you stop posting to me, I'll stop responding and you'll get your wish. Your call homie.

9. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Hi David, quick question. As you have stated, your original teaching was in Arabic. One of the websites I read states that a group of friends got together in the 70's, who had rankings/experience in various martial arts. I was guessing this was the origin of the group. Or is it a combination of the two? Just trying to make things more clear, as I get confused easily. :)
    thanks for your time.

10. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I didn't mean to upset you. I was just having fun with you and I think you missed something in my tone there.

By the way if you met me you would not think I was a "homie" :D

11. David Harrison

Hi Nojon,

That website was created by an ex-member who left the organisation and took what he learnt to teach his own thing.

I've never met him, he left before I started training, but if I were to guess, he probably says that on his website because either:

a) he knows people are much more likely to believe that (as evidenced in this thread).

b) as he only completed the intermediate syllabus, he could well not have seen any of the arabic or symbolic system stuff, and so in his opinion the "70s Eastern MA group" theory seemed more likely to him.

12. Bigmikey

Homie is just a chicago thing for friend. Its got no racial attachments or anything. I was just trying to end on a peaceful note. Those who know me can tell you I say that alot. No offense meant.

As far as missing the tone, I apologize. I did. It read more like "you can shut up any time now" which, considering our extensive contact (PLEASE note the sarcasm there :D in that I dont think we've spoken at all), seemed shocking. I thought we were tight :D

I will duck out now. Thanks you sincerely for the clarification and for letting me clarify as well. We made nice-nice. Frodo should be by with our cookies any minute now :D

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The Battle of the Boyne is a very well documented period in history. If there were a secrete clan of Celtic ninjers who's ancestors hailed from the middle east we'd know about it. The Orange Order in Scotland and Northern Ireland hold marches every year or so on July 12th to commemorate the Battle of the Boyne.

I'd be very interested to know who's side they claim to have fought on?

14. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Ok thank you.

15. David Harrison

That's a wonderful oxymoron :)

But, I guess now I'll have to say again that I am not making any such claims... how dull...

16. David Harrison

You're welcome.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Then what exactly do you claim? Polar Bear has asked you several times about the history and origin of your organisation and you avoid the question every single time. So please share this history and lay the accusations of fraud to rest.

18. David Harrison

:confused:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074664950&postcount=647

I must be a true "ninjer" if I can post this stuff umpteen times without anyone seeing it.

Put on your special coloured spy-glasses and read through my posts again. Particularly the ones before around page 20.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

All non-information. Vague claims with no substance. That's not history. I would like dates and names I can look up and verify. You're basically offering nothing as an answer.

20. David Harrison

The public classes started in the 1970s in the Manchester area.

The public classes teach many of the same techniques as the original training, but they are a seperate entity. There is still much I don't know about the original training, except that I know for a fact I would not have lasted two minutes in it when I first started the public classes.

I've met two people who have done the original training, and they ain't talking (but their technique speaks for itself).

So, if you want the history of Marbo, it began in the 1970s in Manchester.

If you want the history of the techniques and training methods it derived from, you're out of luck.

Will I share the parts of our training that I have never heard mention of in any other MA? No.

Do I care that you find me evasive? No.

If you can accept this and move on with your life, I think it will do you service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.