Pathwalker Guild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

LilBunny - He obviously doesn't want you to attend because then you might have the opportunity to honestly evaluate and critique it.

That would shatter the illusion. I'm not telling you anything you don't know but guys like these operate on fear and it's all about withholding information.

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What about if he was a gentleman but didn't appear intelligent?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What if he didn't appear intelligent but actually was?

4. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

This is do to your lack of credibility concerning the history of your art and your unwillingness to present verification of said history.

If you are willing to obfuscate about this than anything else you present will be looked at in the same light.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You guys really are too much.

I wouldn't want him in my class because he has continually insulted me, and I have no desire for him to become a Marbo member. I find it very hard to believe that he would want that either.

Sparring to me is never "beating up", I have never injured someone during sparring. I have no desire to injure people full stop, I am not that kind of person.

Anyone who knows me knows my "true colours", and threatening people is not something I do.

7. David Harrison

That would be great too. Is it wrong to say that someone comes accross as intelligent?

nit·pick (n t p k ). intr.v. nit·picked, nit·pick·ing, nit·picks. To be concerned with or find fault with insignificant details. See Synonyms at quibble.

8. David Harrison

The majority of my students have experience in other MAs.

I actively encourage my students to talk to people intersted in the training, so that they can give their honest experience. Most of the people coming to my classes have found out about them through my students.

How could I "not allow" people to talk? Do you realise how paranoid you sound?

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Please highlight when, precisely.

I was interested in trying a class in the honest spirit of inquiry, and if I had enjoyed it then I would likely have considered becoming a member. If your attitude is typical of instructors (i.e. anyone who is skeptical or has questions is instantly unwelcome in your class) then I'd be better off joining the scientologists.

Of course.

Yes. I think you've made those quite clear.

Of course not.

If I had been questioning your technical ability, or boasting that mine might be better, I could understand a friendly offer to spar.

It is the statement that I would not be welcome in your class, combined with the slightly sinister offer to spar(...) which makes it appear a threat.

If this is an honest misunderstanding then I'll quite happily accept an apology for your lack of clarity on the matter.

If it's an attempt to backpedal, I'll quite happily accept an apology for the threat.

And I'm curious as to what makes me an unsuitable person for marbo? The skepticism? The requirement for evidence before making a judgment? The suspicion of secrecy?

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Didn't say it was. What I said was that inviting someone to spar...
    Is a threat on martial arts forums. Because it is.

Apart from that time you said to someone..."Maybe a bit of sparring though... "

11. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I highly doubt he wants to become a Marbo member unless you blow him away with your unique training and skills. He wants to evaluate what it is you are doing in person.

Why wouldn't you guys welcome this? If you are truly confident in what you are doing, then LilBunny will come back and sing your praises.

Threatening people may not be what you do,; however for the record you DID appear to threaten him.

For example, if I had said "Is that offer to 'spar' open to everyone here?", that could be construed as a threat. :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. Llamageddon

Thanks for the definition; I thought it had something to do with lice.

And it was an innocent question - of course it is not wrong to say someone comes across as intelligent. Not that you needed me to tell you that, of course.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And also David...LilBunny didn't ask where YOU taught but where the nearest class to HIM was.
    Do you have reading diffculties? :)

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Your students may have taken a class or two in another martial art; however I highly doubt they have any significant experience training in other martial arts.

IME these types of martial artists are not attracted to your type of groups. To be honest, you really don't want a person like that in your class in your school because their skills would most likely overshadow your ability and your other less experienced students would see that.

Again let's be honest that is not your target audience.

I can be proved wrong and I have no problem admitting it. You have an opportunity to let LilBunny attend your class and I'll go on the record here and say I will believe (and support) what he reports back here.

15. David Harrison

If that is the case, then please PM me.

I was not aware of your "mediocre" ability. I apologise if you took my invitation as a threat.

Then please accept my apology for my lack of clarity on the matter.

16. David Harrison

And I told him. I am the nearest class to him.

If I did have reading difficulties, would that be a bad thing?

I thought you were told not to mention disability again.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Of course not. But seeing as you think it's OK to say that people you've never met appear to have learning difficulties I thought I'd be on solid ground with you?
    The smiley was a little shorthand to say to everyone "Did you see what I did there? I used his tactics to undermine him". :)

18. Llamageddon

No more discussion of learning difficulties, please. The next occasion may result in the thread being locked.

Thanks!

19. David Harrison

Doubt away. I have trained with many members who have had a lot of experience with other systems, up to and including high ranks of black belt. Not to mention the previously stated cases of police, military and security personnel, and generally hard people who grew up in street-fighting neighbourhoods. Though I am happy to admit that none of my present students have black-belts from other systems (or Marbo, for that matter).

It has been my experience, that when members have moved away too far to train with us, and attend classes in other arts, that they feel disappointed that they cannot continue their Marbo training.

20. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Thank you. You just confirmed what I stated and what I believe.

I will continue to doubt away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.