Karate punch mechanics vs boxing punch

Discussion in 'Karate' started by KidEspi, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And the end result is always crap?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Damn that was a good one :evil:

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

So if you have cross trained Shuai Jiao, Judo, Sambo, wrestling, and BJJ, your grappling skill will be "crap"?

4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I tend to associate cross training with 1 guy and 2 girls having some fun at night. It's bloody awesome, and the more the merrier.

:p

5. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

The bareknucklers hit with a vertical fist. This spreads the impact over all the knuckles and reduces the chance of injury. With a horizontal fist there is a greater chance that when the opponent slips or deflects a punch a single knuckle - usually the pinky - will wear the impact. This would result in a crippling break.

There was a good discussion somewhere about bareknuckle vs gloved punching but I haven't found the thread yet.

6. daggers

daggers Valued Member

the arm is pushed forward by the body, the hips and shoulders working together so yes a punch is a punch. what seperates boxing from karate is the style that you are fighting, an amateur boxer will punch different to a pro boxer because of the style and the scoring criteria.
    karate, thai, kickboxing punches differ to boxing punches because the have kicks, knees to consider

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not at all I was just following your analogy to it's logical conclusion!;)

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

TMI.

on-topic: oh, dear, where to start.

i'll pick up from what others have said: a punch is a punch. a good boxing punch will have several similar mechanics to a karate punch, and vice versa, because if you don't use those (assisting the punch with the shoulder girdle, loosening the lower back to better engage the abs, etc), the punch quite simply sucks.

specific differences:
    1- in karate you have a crapton of defensive motions involving the hands, whereas in boxing they use the shoulders, the gloves and body motion to defend (karateka SHOULD learn and use body evasion in application to assist defensive hand movements, because it's, among other things, useful AND common sense); this leads to a slightly different use of the shoulders: in karate, you usually train to make the shoulder push the elbow (which in turn pushes the fist), which generally means it goes down and forwards, and in boxing, it generally goes up and forwards, protecting your chin. this leads to difference number 2.

2- krotty punching, as you've noticed, is generally focused to the front of the body, since karate is not (and should not be trained as) a striking-only system; it includes grabs, manipulations and leg movements that aren't that easy to do if you're swinging from side to side looking for maximum-power punching. this means that you will rely less on sheer rotational power (certain shotokan lineages aside) and more on posture to make sure your strikes have oomph (don't make the mistake of thinking that a strike without massive hip rotation has no power. it just has less than a strike that does have it). boxing on the other hand, relies a lot more on rotational power as well as posture, and does a lot more circular striking (in karate you rarely, if ever, do looping punches, as even the hooks are thrusting strikes, whereas in boxing they're equally as common). going back to shoulder position, the 'shoulder down' striking done in karate is how you connect the shoulder for a strong punch to the front, whereas the 'shoulder up' punching in boxing has good connection if you're punching more to the side. same principle, different position.

difference number 3- heel down vs heel up: here, we find a very important point regarding karate training: kihon is simply the isolation and abstraction of movement patterns. in fighting, you punch the other guy, and that's it. in kihon, you train the posture that you need to punch properly, and then you use impact training (bag, pads, makiwara, other people) to figure out if it's working, and if not, then where it's failing. the heel down forces you to correct your upper body posture and rear leg push, and in particular it teaches you not to unbalance yourself with excessive follow-through, since the punches are usually straight (and thus harder to recover from if you over-commit to them). boxing, on the other hand, requires a raised heel because of the rotation. if you don't raise it, you don't rotate, period. when you have a solid target in front of you, the target itself will stop your straight punches, so having the heel down, if you have good structure, is not strictly a necessity.

that's all i can think about right now.

9. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Fish.
    If you look at the Jack Dempsy book, he relies on the falling step and little to no shoulder whirl to develop power in his straight jolt/jab (shoulder whirl comes in with different punches). Have you read his book and do you find it more like the karate punch?

10. Fish Of Doom

i haven't read his book, but you've piqued my interest. what's it called?

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I know. That was a very good conclusion indeed. :) I have cross trained many different styles. The word "pure" has little meaning to me at this point of my life.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

My original roundhouse kick came from my longfist style. When I sparred with my TKD partner, I liked his TKD roundhouse kick (more detail), I switched my longfist roundhouse kick to his TKD roundhouse kick. When I sparred with my MT partner, I found out that his MT roundhouse kick was even better (body pull the leg). I switched my TKD roundhouse kick to his MT roundhouse kick.

There is always a "better way" and there is no "your way" or "my way".

13. KidEspi

KidEspi New Member

Championship Fighting Explosive Punching
    and Aggressive Defense by Jack Dempsey

There are pdfs floating around the internet.

14. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

So you are saying that there would be a 'best kick', which is the fastest and most powerfull kick ever which has the biggest possible effect regardless of the users style or intention? That it works best for any possible application?
    So why wouldn't we all kick that way?

Apart from that me and my instructors are using the same style, but we are surely not using the exactly same body mechanics. Isn't training mainly about applying institutionialized teachings and using what works best for yourself, i.e. doing it 'your style'?

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sometimes what may work best for you or doing your style, may not be the best way or more effective

16. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean everybody should create one's personal martial art or alike, I just think due to the fact that people tend to be built differently you will probably not find the EXACTLY same movement. So even when I try to imitate a movement, I could possibly not do it 100 percent the way someone else does it.

17. Fish Of Doom

i both agree and disagree. a kick is a kick, a punch is a punch, a takedown is a takedown. it all boils down to full body power, angles, target area, the opponent's position, and the "weapon" used (open hand, fist, wrist, forearm, elbow, shoulder, back, hip, knee, shin, foot, heel, head, pick your favourite). specific techniques are simply fixed values or ranges of values for those variables. different tools for different situations, some of which will be usable much more often than others, and many of which are inefficient for the optimal uses of others. i say that there IS a "your way" and a "my way", and that some ways are more versatile than others, but that cases of a "wrong way" have more to do about wrong execution (ie the technique itself is done like crap at one or more levels according to the variables mentioned in relation to the desired goal), although in many cases wrong execution is actually what is taught as "canon".

18. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Championship Boxing: Explosive Punching and Agressive Defence by Jack Dempsey.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you have trained both boxing and Karate, are you going to use your "boxing punch", "Karate punch", or just "your punch" in a life and death situation?

If you only train 1 style, you won't have any comparsion and choice. If you have cross trained different styles. you will have comparsion and choice. So what will be your choice?

20. Fish Of Doom

the one that i can do at that particular moment.