Throws for Self-Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Punchy, Feb 28, 2012.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:cool:

I have seen this a few times.

Pretty does not always equate to effective.

Once in awhile, one of my instructors took us out on hard ground.....
    Needless to say those sessions (few) ended quick

2. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

Why would you want to grapple/throw an opponent in a "Real" fight?
    This does not make any tactical sense!
    Firstly if you start to grapple you can only fight one person at a time what if he has mates?
    Secondly if he has a weapon and I always assume they have a weapon until they are stripped searched, you will be walking straight into a possible attack!
    Thirdly have you ever tried to throw someone that does not want to be thrown?
    If the throw fails you will land on the concrete with the person on top of you now the rest of his mates will use your head like a football!
    Training to throw someone in a real fight takes far too long for effective self defence and think how many different types of throws there are?
    Have you considrered that when you throw someone who is untrained they will cling and grab onto you, normally taking you down onto the concrete with them, consider you will now become injured yourself, theres no soft mat to land on here!
    Far better to train in something like anti-throwing techniques if the opponent starts to grapple with you, I teach for instance toe kicks, edge of boot kicks to the shins, instep, and foot, much easier, requires no skill and practice and it works, I know because I have used these techniques myself many many times, and the feedback from my students has been positive. Once shown and practiced you can walk out the dojo door and use this type of technique straight away that evening should you be attacked outside in the car park or the local and fish and chip shop, how long would it take to learn to to be able to throw a larger, heavier more aggressive opponent?
    The only realistic take downs that are relatively easy are either directly from the rear with a kick to the back of the knee, a rear choke or strangle something like Hadaka-Jime, a japanese strangle etc, or from the front with a rapid and violent twist of the head.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You train Wing Chun, don't you? :evil:

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i would prefer some distance between myself and my assailant. but should my assailant resort to body to body contact, a good hip throw or a good suplex would be in order (without heading down to the ground yourself. quite hard with a suplex but if you know how to bodydump then it's do-able).

to recap:

1) i'd rather have distance.
    2) body to body
    a) hip throw
    b) suplex (if no other choice)

and unless you run around the city naked, clothing does serve the same as a gi.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Is it so much of a case of want or need to?

That'll depend on the situation won't it?

What if I have an elephant?

What ifs are odd little things.

This is where awareness comes in surely?

What's going on? Why would you be walking into an attack? Hasn't everything already escalated to this level anyway?

Yes that's why creating kuzushi and the proper use of atemi come into things, not to mention not giving them then chance to realise they are being thrown, taken down etc

Whether it be striking or grappling surely taking the initative is of paramount importance here rather than trying to find one overriding skill set that will work all the time.

Again situational awareness and appropriate use of skills and force. In short if you are up against multiples and know it then you do something else if you are up against multiples but don't know it well there's only so much you can do isn't there?

Probably why it's good to have just a few that you can get to work on a consistent basis against a good cross section of people.

There's a difference between training purely for self defence and applying your system to a self defence scenario.

Again Kuzushi, atemi, initiative not to mention ukemi. Nothing is fool proof all you can do is have insurance policies.

Cool glad to hear you and your students have kept safe.

I train in a system that includes strikes, take downs, throws, weapons etc guess what one of the first things I might do if I grab hold of you? Probably give you a good low kick to the targets you've mentioned along with some other stuff.

Throws etc don't exists in a vacuum, it's not like that'll be the only thing going on.

You've got a one shot technique that'll work right off the bat? Wow.

So these students don't need to learn how to have the presence of mind to fall back on those techniques? Learn how to have at least some degree of accuracy? Or deliver sufficient power?

I can think of a few systems of old old Jujutsu that might disagree with you.

Your rapid twist of the head involves you getting up close and personal and into all the potential difficulties you mentioned before and of course it's hardly going to be seen as a reasonable use of force in most circumstances.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Dean Winchester

That's it if you can create distance but ultimately you can't guarantee you will be able to control that or escape.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Hitting someones the back of the head off the floor is a very good way to kill someone, but not the best way to stay out of jail.

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i agree wholeheartedly! that's why i like swinging sticks! makes distance. :D

seriously though, if i have failed in awareness and avoidance and de-escalation and let my assailant within my reach (i must really be drunk or having one of those monkey days) then and only then would things like throwing, standing grappling and dirty fighting come into play.

train in all ranges and all eventualities.

9. Wastelander

Wastelander Valued Member

I really hate to be the bad guy here, but it kind of sounds like you tried a grappling art in the past and hated it or sucked at it so you decided that grappling is useless. I will readily admit that I am a mediocre grappler, but I also have absolutely no problem throwing people that don't train judo which is going to be most of the bad guys out there. Throws are difficult to learn to apply, but that doesn't mean they are useless--what good would anyone be at anything if they decided that everything that is hard to learn is useless? I will readily admit that my karate training has given me blocking and striking techniques that would be my go-to tools for self defense, but if somebody wants to grab onto you they are going to grab onto you and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it unless you train grappling--the only "anti-grappling" that actually works IS grappling.

10. Dead_pool

Boom QFT

11. 47MartialMan

Oh yeah...the old "coulda, shouda, woulda"

12. SteveBioletti

Hello Chadderz,

Sorry But I have never studied any chinese arts, I have trained in Judo, Karate, Budo, Taiho Jutsu, and Ju-Jitsu, I currently teach ONLY Offensive fighting skills.

Stay safe,

Steve

13. Dead_pool

You learnt budo? How does that work?

14. 47MartialMan

:rolleyes: In one point of time, Ive trained in Budo as well.

15. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I like throws from the point of view of the defender falling fowl of the law because a trip is not as agressive looking as a strike

A well timed ko-ochi-gari just looks like uke fell over by accident. Web palm someone in the throat and it is going to look bad if the case ever comes to court

16. Dean Winchester

Could you elaborate on that please.

17. Dead_pool

The term is redundant as used in this context.

18. SteveBioletti

Hello Fusen,

Budo was basically a mixture of martial arts including Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Aiki-Jitsu, Kendo etc. Some weeks we would have "Guest Instructors" who taught a specific Martial art, including Christopher Boardman (Aikido) and Tom starling (Ju-Jitsu).

19. 47MartialMan

SteveBioletti has hit the nail on the head.....

Originally Posted by 47MartialMan
    In one point of time, Ive trained in Budo as well.

20. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

It is my understanding that Budo translates as 'Way of the Warrior'...so I gues all us martial artsts are doing the Budo

Budo for every one I say!