Pkhamidar2com's MA Diary :)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pkhamidar2com, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You can do it lying in bed.

Lie on your back with hands by your sides, feet and legs relaxed. Spend the first few minutes just getting a steady breathing pattern, don't force anything.
    If that is all you get tonight that is fine.
    Tomorrow get the pattern and some level of relaxation, then focus on relaxing on the out breath.

Focus on each section of the body starting at the head. Imagine the muscles melting from the bones, feel that heavy feeling and you relax into your bed. Relax the neck, shoulders, down the arms and so on.

I like this relaxation technique because you can do it anywhere.
    I've taught it to a group of young single mothers. Perfect for when the kids have been taken to playschool. Get home and spend 10 minutes chilling and taking some "me" time.

We work hard in these hectic times. That or school exams, bills to pay, kids running wild, car not working and so on. These are some of the things that keep us awake at night.
    This technique stops the mind wandering by using the breath as the point of focus.

Please let me know how you get on tomorrow.

2. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

It went well SimonS thanks :)

It helped me relax, i tend to wander about stuff a lot, things like thinking about tomorow, my workout, my studies, my fitness etc...

But this helps me stop thinking about that. What felt weird was the tube bit, but i got the hang of it, i thought of it like a pump, goes into my belly, then belly pumps it through my feet.

Helps you relax a lot! But i didnt fall asleep while doing this, it was a few minutes after this where i was quite relaxed and fell asleep easily. At least thats what i remember.

I hope this doesn't wear off though. Ive tried other techniques and they tend to wear off after a week or so, so im hoping this doesn't.

I hope this also works for those times when you end up panicking in bed. For example when i had my exams, for one of my exams the night before i was really worried about it and kept looking at the clock.

I tend to scrunch my eyes alot, and then a few minutes later i realise i have been scrunching my eyes for 5 minutes straight. I don't even realise myself doing it. But i think that your relaxation technique helped that, i get it when im wondering about things, and last night when i was wondering i was scrunching my eyes and fowning, but then with the relaxation technique i didnt frown at all.

thanks again

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Simon

I'm really pleased it helped.
    The more you practice the more relaxed you can get.

4. Pkhamidar2com

Went Judo Yesterday, i was told Monday was a good day to go, but turns out it was for more advance students but they were really nice, nice enough to take time out of their schedule to teach me, what to them was BASIC! :)

Anyways monday, was pretty much Randori. Nothing else really, just loads of 3 minute matches, 1 minute rest i think of just Randori. But sometimes people would rest for 5 minutes, and during those times people came to me and helped me with Judo while they were free, so that was really nice of them.

The throw i was taught that day was the one where the leg furthest away from the opponents body, would step very far forward, and then the leg nearer to opponents body would come, and go under the knee, you would pull the arm across and push down at the chest, while twisting the hips to throw them over. Also it can be countered by itself and that's what was happening to me most of the time, they were countering me with the same throw i was trying to throw them with :p

But that was the only throw i was doing, and that's good because i learned a lot in the time i practiced it about that one throw. Obviously everyone i tried to use it on could detect i was going to use it, because the instructor said to only use that throw on me, and said that that was the only one i knew. But it was so damn fun!

I cant wait till the next lesson, they said i should go on a thursday as that's more beginner geared so next thursday.

Hahaha the awesomeness of judo is back in my mind :)

5. Pkhamidar2com

Stupid cough kept me up last night. Every time i tried SimonS's Relaxation technique i would become very relaxed, to the point where i could sleep, then suddenly start coughing and im back to square one!

Uhg, i hate winter!

6. Simon

Glad to hear you are still practicing the technique.

7. Pkhamidar2com

Of course, why wouldn't I? It works amazingly well! The only bit i find hard to imagine is my muscles melting but ill get the hang of that sooner or later. The hollow tube breathing techinque helps a tremendous amount though.

1) I no longer wonder about random stuff stress related
    2) My eyes are no longer scrunched up
    3) I am no longer tense in bed, so i can relax easier

Although its only been a few days its a bed time routine that has worked very well. Anyone else reading this, DO IT!

8. Pkhamidar2com

I was planning on doing swimming today and working out in the garden with my buckets tomorow. But my cough was bad today, and my nose and throat was overflowing with phlegm that i thought it would only make it worse and will put me off training longer.

So i decided against it. And i don't want other people in the pool to get my illness. Hopefully cough goes down by tomorrow. As well as the phlegm.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sounds to me like you need to take a few days off training altogether and recover from your cold/cough. Sometimes a rest is a much better option than pushing through illness.

10. Pkhamidar2com

Went outside today, i did quite a bit of biking, i love biking. Currently i use my sisters pink tassel bike, i don't go out in public with it however, too embarrassing, just in the garden where its private.

My father wants to buy me a bike, because he knows i love exercise fitness and he knows i like martial arts etc...

But he's too scared to give it to me, thinks i will get into an accident on the road. He said he can get it cheap from a friend for around 40 pounds second hand condition...

On one condition though... i'm not allowed to go on the main road -_-.

Although i don't think the Judo Centre has any bike lock areas.

Anyways i was on the bike, i did some SLDL's. At first it wasnt working out. The buckets were at different sizes, and it was VERY akward for some reason. So i was like screw it and went inside.

Then i went back outside, it was really cold but i was determined to do those SLDL's. So i got my good posture up again. And then i tried them again, this time i rowed them, i didnt think i could as it was quite heavy. Busted out about 10 reps.

I cant really go any heavier, the buckets are at the fullest. They are both frozen with ice, they both are full of sand and they have 2 bricks inside. Anymore sand and it will just spill. Damn...

Now what do i do? -_-... Better get those plastic zip lock bags soon.

EDIT: Yeah i know i should be resting but i felt ok today frodo. I had around 9 hours of sleep somehow, and i felt ok. Cough wasnt as bad, cold was annoying but its not an excuse.

11. Frodocious

My personal take on exercising with a cold is that if it's just in my head and I don't feel too bad I'll work out, but once it hits my chest and I get a cough, that's the signal to rest.

Also you should seriously consider skipping Judo when you are sick, it's not fair to whomever you train with if you are contagious and give them whatever it is you have.

12. Pkhamidar2com

Your probably right. I should rest. Guess ill cancel my workout i was going to do tonight.

But i feel so lazy,unfit and guilty when i dont workout -_-. When i go outside and workout/cardio/lift i feel alive... when i stay inside doing homework/sitting its boring and i feel like a slob...

13. Frodocious

I know what you mean - I hate resting when I'm sick or injured as well - but in the long run, a couple of days (or whatever) off will be better for your health than pushing through sickness, making yourself worse and having to take even longer off. If you want to do something, go for an easy walk or stretch.

14. Pkhamidar2com

Cool, i think ill do some hip flexor stretches. I probably have a Anterior tilt from tight hip flexors and that was stopping me from doing Bulgarian Split Squats.

[​IMG]

here are some nice videos i found online that might help anyone following :)

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/the-90-90-split-squat/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoV909uMPY"]Bulgarian Split Squat example - YouTube[/ame]

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

check your quads as well. one of the components (the rectus femoris) is also a hip flexor. if you feel hip flexor stretches in your thigh, it's likely to also be affected.

16. Fish Of Doom

also [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApDwhOwxzbM&feature=related"]Thomas & Ely test - YouTube[/ame]

17. Pkhamidar2com

So my cough was pretty much gone yesterday, i didnt workout yesterday just incase, and today it was gone too. So it was fine to go.

When i went, it was so awesome... i dont know where to begin im filled with happiness!!!

So started with warm ups. Then we practied some drills on the ground where you role them over.

After that we went onto throwing. We did many throws, usually the hip throw with the hand on the waist area. Then one where you go all the way on the floor, one leg is going between the person you are throwing's leg, the other goes around the other side, your on the floor and you throw them.

There were quite a few throws. About 5 or so if i remember correctly, maybe more...

Then we did a drill where you would try to counter a hip throw with another hip throw but you dont throw them.

So you intend to hip throw them but then before then can get you, with their forward momentum they already have you quickly go infront and hip throw them, but then before you can hip throw their hip throw, they hip throw your hip throw counter against your original hip throw.

Then we did this really cool move that was really fun. I was doing it wrong at first as apparently the lady i was doing it to on the crash mats was having too much fun.

Basically its where they try to shoulder hip throw you, but instead you wrap your hands around them, and you drop your centre of gravity and you twist and throw them onto the crash matt. I think its from wrestling but its so good.

Yeah anyways apparantly i was doing more of a pick her up and slam her down (no pain as there was a good crash mat there). Then she said to go as hard as i can on the throw as it was so much fun... so i did... fun fun fun!

Anyways at the end, was the BEST AND MOST AWESOME BIT OF THE WHOLE LESSON!

At the end there was supposed to be a 3 min fight against everyone. Senoirs went first, then the lesser senoirs, then i went last.

They put me against my partener that i was currently with, the same lady i was throwing on the mat. And then we did randori. I did continuous randori for about 3 min, then he said it was good and he made me stay and i did it with the first girl i was with, did another 3 min randori, then i did it with the biggest guy there, another 3 min then i did it with the first girl, then the original lady. I was so tiered, but it was SO FUN!

During the last randori i was just so out of energy i got ipponed very quickly. But then suddenly found the energy. It was non stop randori, and it was AMAZING!! GOD DAMN AMAZING! I CANNOT STRESS HOW AMAZING IT WAS!!!!!

i know i sound high, but it was simply awesome! So much fun. The randori was amazing. I cannot wait till next lesson!

18. Pkhamidar2com

i did some squats yesterday with snowballs. Rolled a snow ball, first of all was small, then did some squats, then rolled it some more, did more squats till it was big enough for me to squat with properly. Very fun.

Then did the same process again for SLDL's with the snow balls. Although my legs were very bent as the snow ball was big and award to hold.

Then i also did some pullups and dips on top of the swing.

I also did glute bridges, bird dogs (although i been doing them ever since frodo told me about them), abductor raises things.

Here is the article

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...raining_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

interesting stuff.

Anyways frodo, those bird dogs and cat camels are quite good, i do them at the start of every workout for warmups, helps somehow :)

So i got some doms today from yesterday.

I also figured out that my perception of the "O Goshi" throw was wrong. I was looking at some videos on youtube just to get an idea of what it looked like as i forgot. And i always asumed that you throw and it goes over your head, but then the videos showed that it actually just goes over your hip.
    :bang:

planning on doing some Jump roping today :)

I have so much more motivation to actually workout now compared to when i was doing TSD. when i was doing TSD i would work really hard but i never got any sparring so i was like... whats the point of this, why am i trying if im not getting to test it out. But now i know i will get to spar! So it keeps me alive!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  19. Fish Of Doom

re: o-goshi: you might want to look nto the translations of the japanese names of the techniques, as, just like in karate, judo terminology is in its majority composed of functional descriptions. "o goshi" basically means "big hip" (with the word "throw" being implicit, what with it being a throw and all, which would make it "o goshi nage" :p).

this has pretty much all of the names in romaji: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kodokan_Judo_techniques
    some laos have kanji and/or translation, and you can check the meanings of the kanji here: http://jisho.org/ (the romaji too, but not as reliably)

20. Pkhamidar2com

Man i wish i could do squats and dead lifts properly with a barbell... sucks :'(

anyways looking forward to judo today :D