Is it too late to leave KSW?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by bluecoatguy1983, Sep 16, 2011.

1. bluecoatguy1983

bluecoatguy1983 Valued Member

I just received my yellow belt about 3 weeks ago. But I've been tempted by CKM. I'm going into law enforcement and I really feel like I can't use what I've learned so far in the police academy. I like my dojang. I enjoy the people and instructors, but I don't feel its for me. Anyone ever been through this? It's a very difficult decision.

2. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

whats ckm, if you do not mind me asking?

3. The_Beak

The_Beak Valued Member

It's Never to late.

Run for it.

Harlingen Sports Center
    516 W. Van Buren, Harlingen, TX 78550 (956) 412-1528 ‎
    harlingensportscenter.com

Garcia Brazillian Jiu Jitsu
    3670 Boca Chica Blvd # 5, Brownsville, TX 78521-4084 (956) 542-5060 ‎

4. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

sounds like the beak also had a bad experience. is it the system(syllabus, basics, etc) or the teacher that bothers you.

i took bjj at a rickson gracie school, and also took aikido at one of chiba sensei's federation's schools. i still take a kuk sul art. there is merit in sticking it out. so there you go: two opinions.

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Yellow Belt!!! Boo hoo! Think of those poor sods who gave half a lifetime to it before seeing the light!

6. bluecoatguy1983

I'm just seeing the light. And after sleeping on it, I'd rather do CKM (commando krav maga). It's best that I leave now before putting in another 50 for a belt test.

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

50 bucks for a colored belt test = highway robbery (IMVHO).

8. bluecoatguy1983

And 25 for "sparring/self defense" seminar's. Another 25 for a in house tournament.

9. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Well, I'm not so sure about these examples being a rip-off ... and please allow me to explain why:

Offering such things as listed above is a good thing for a MA academy to do. The prices listed don't seem too extravagant (i.e. for the tourney or seminar - the belt test IS a bit much IMO). I can't speak for the studio in question, simply because IDK all the details. But a common practice is to host these sorts of events in order to enhance the *standard* training one gets with their membership, applying a small fee for each one. Then the school can offer TWO types of membership; a lower priced one where you can pick & choose which extra-curricular event you want to attend (but pay for) AND a more expensive membership, but one where all the extras are included (naturally, with obvious savings as an incentive).

I do wish you well, Mr. bluecoat, and that you find a suitable place to study your preferred type of MA. :bow1:

10. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Sounds like you answered your own question. If it is not for you, then there is no point in continuing with it. I don't think it matters what belt you find yourself at when you decide to give up on traditional Korean arts (KSW et al), when it's time it's time. I wish you luck in CKM !

11. MACA

MACA Valued Member

SO you are leaving the art because you have to pay 25 bucks for a tournament? Don't go..Kuk Sool has very practical uses, If you specially for cops (personal opinion), because it places a lot of attention on holding people (joint locks, throws, etc), controlling them, etc instead of chocking them on the floor.

So if I were you, sticking around for a while could prove useful.

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

You need to get out more MACA, there are a lot of other martial art groups out there teaching arts that are, at worst, as least effective and, at best much better when it comes to practical application!

Don't you think that the idea of both of you squatting down, as if to defecate, whilst one holds onto the other's wrist, so that they can apply a countering technique, is somewhat off the planet?

13. MACA

MACA Valued Member

hahahahaha, Pugil, that was funny.

Look, reality is a very weird thing.

Sure, there are many more realistic martial arts, but still KSW as I learned it is very effective. Maybe its because I didn't learn it in the US and we always used full contact sparring with no protection or because locks were done with some (a little) resistance or just luck. But I still visualize KS as a very effective art......or maybe is because I know the difference between squatting to defecate and doing two things at the same time, exercising your legs and practicing joint locks. and you never know when you will need to squat and not touch the floor while you defecate.hehe

just my grain of salt

EDIT: BTW I am not KSW and barely practice anymore.............and don't consider myself a master, expert or whatever..........just a guy

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  14. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

You do know that CKM is fake krav maga and that its head instructor has been debunked as a fake don't you?

15. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  16. bluecoatguy1983

I know all about the CKM founder being a fake. I do my research before I make any decision. But in my little area of the world, there are no Krav Maga in a 400 mile radius. Same thing with KS. Believe me, I know KS will only get better the longer I stay in it. I need something that will work for me right now, not 2 years from now.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  17. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

Now watch the worms come out of the can!

18. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Wow When you first wrote that you were frustrated because you counldn't use Kuk Sool after attaining yellow belt and were considering Commando Krav Maga, I thought you might be a troll, but now I think you may be serious.

Either way, I'll bite...have you considered learning boxing or BJJ?

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

KM is pretty much gash - as an aspiring LEO there are a plethora of better options you can look at

20. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

If you really want something that will work "RIGHT NOW" , I would advise you to forget martial arts all together and purchase a hand gun, buy a big mean dog, hire a body guard, or better yet get all three. You will find many people out there more than willing to take your money while promising a quick and easy path to martial arts proficiency. Please believe me when I say that NONE of these quick and easy choices are reasonable or valid. A two year commitment IMO is a short commitment anyway.