Greetings From A 'Different' Practitioner

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by KG6EYR, Aug 27, 2011.

1. KG6EYR

KG6EYR New Member

Greetings everyone!

My name is Max, and I am a newly-practicing twenty-nine year-old karateka, born with Cerebral Palsy.

I sort of just happened upon this site while researching various jows, namely Dit Da Jow because I just started nunchaku training.

So far, I only hold a white belt in American Karate and Judo (exactly which I'm not sure), but to know that my Sensei assures me that I am more than capable of advancement, I am humbled in knowing that for once there is something I can do, and nearly have zero barriers involved. In the two months that I have started training, everyone in my life has noticed a profound change in myself - physically, mentally, and spiritually; and for that I am glad.

While I've done a little homework, and despite people calling where I practice a 'McDojo,' there is a rather fitting, and quite surreal background as to why I decided to stick with my dojo. I practice and train at Lou Casamassa's Red Dragon Karate, where my Sensei, Mike Casamassa happens to have one arm, which was lost in an auto accident nearly two decades ago. However, despite sharing being somewhat 'disabled,' there happens to be more connections - and even I didn't expect it. It turns out that one of our Senpais has a brother diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, and that another Senpai not only had worked at a college I attended, but happened to be working with disabled students and had picked me up a few times on the campus' tram system. If that's not motivational, then I don't know what else would be, but that's why I stick around.

Just in case anyone is curious, my particular form of CP is defined as fool diplegia, which mostly affects my legs, but has taken it's toll on my overall posture and tightened my arms. I rely on forearm crutches to get around, and at least initially, I am practicing kata and techniques with crutches, though there are some things that naturally I practice without.

I know that there are many disabled martial arts practitioners worldwide, but many of the organizations and clubs that cater to my "type of person" are far and few in-between. It is my hope that eventually, I will develop bonds with both able-bodied as well as physically-challenged practitioners, and expand my horizons.

Here is to showing the world the true nature of NinTai (perseverance)!

Also, in case you wanted to know what the kanji is on my avatar, it's 'kesshite akiramenai,' or 'never give up.' It's a philosophy to live by, but I feel it's appropriate. :karate:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Very nice introduction.

Welcome to MAP.:cool:

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

MUCH respect! I think the MA community as a whole should be more open to people such as yourself. WELCOME!!

4. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Welcome to MAP. A great introduction.

Make sure you check out the Karate forum. There are some great people there and you may find that you have things in common.

Have a lovely stay here!!

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP. I hope you enjoy your time on the board! :D

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That's an impressive intro (and a groovy avatar)!

Welcome to MAP - we have a very friendly karate forum here and also a forum for disabled martial artists if you're interested in how other people who've started off with a physical disadvantage have gotted into martial arts. Personally, I just like hanging around here and talking rubbish, which you're welcome to do too.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the forum , and can ijust echo the advise to check out the Karate forum , you sound like you'll fit right in !
    I do need to correct you on one thing though , you are not "just" a white belt !
    By getting up from the sofa and training you're far better than all those other people who couldn't be bothered (especially with cerebral palsy) , be proud of your grade , the only way is up !

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Welcome to MAP.

My good friend Jeff King has CP and has never let it slow him down. Not only is he a strongman competitor and title-holding arm wrestling champion, but he also runs his own successful personal training business and last I heard he was working hard on earning his black belt in a traditional grappling art. You and he are inspiring, guys who never slow down no matter what.

If you have FB and want to add him, he's a great guy. Just PM me.

9. KG6EYR

KG6EYR New Member

It should go without saying to everyone who has warmly replied thusfar - arigato gozaimashita. That's some seriously good Qi going on there, and I simply can't say enough.

To think that had I not been so naive and wrapped up in all the negativity from being turned away from being a karateka in my youth, it simply astounds me... The possibilities that would have been there, and still are. I'm almost overwhelmed by it.

I look forward to becoming an active, and really beneficial member here at MAP, and I look forward to the lessons of which I will most certainly learn.

I suppose my only regret is having to skip Dai Ju Ni Kyu and move to Dai Ju Itchi Kyu because my dojo doesn't hand out the former. Still, I feel humbled beyond expression. Thank you all for the kind words!

10. cammerin

cammerin Valued Member

nice to meet you max! welcome to map

11. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

KG6EYR DE N0POX, WELCOME.

I am guessing that KG6EYR is an amateur radio call sign, right? Welcome aboard! The vast majority of folks here are quite friendly, and while there is always a little inter-art competition going on around here (like in any mixed group of martial artists), folks are generally quite accepting and interested in learning and sharing.

The karate people are cool, as are those who practice other Japanese arts. So are the Hapkido and TaeKwonDo people (and other Korean arts like Kuk Sul Won, etc), and so are the Filipino martial arts people, the Mui Thai people, and the Kung Fu people. Everyone else, too, just in case I forgot someone. :)

I know a Wing Chun sifu who has only part of his right arm, though I never found out why, and he has some very interesting ways of adapting to his situation. You will find all types here, Max.

I wish you well in your study of your chosen martial art, and it will be interesting to follow your progress.