Sparring with females

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Boom Headshot!, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

So have many of you got issues with women?????? Quite frankly if you come into my club and beat the crap out of a junior rank..... male or female I'll spar with you.. and I fight dirty....

Sparring is an exercise, not reality. If you are a superior fighter then take the opportunity to practice moves and techniques you have not perfected , therby going to the level of your partner. If you beat down everyone who you are capable of all they learn is to take a beating, not to learn to fight or spar..... Male or female this holds true.

I have advanced ranks that fight hard, mid range ranks that fight not so hard and beginners....

Based on some of the logic here, anyone who starts in a dojo should know there going to get the crap kicked out of them the first month... and that is down right stupid.

Budo folks... Budo... challenge your sparring partner ( note they are not your opponent) but there is never a need to lay a beating on them.

If two folks agree to go all out... go for it... all the better I say... but you both agree and are aware of it... most of the time this happens between friends who have the same skill level.

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I am totally ok with males going hard on me. I would like to be treated exactly as if I were a male of my weight. I want to be sure that when I make someone tap out, it's because I actually beat him, not because he felt sorry for me and handed me the submission on a plate.

I don't take issue with being hurt. Lol, I usually laugh about it. My view of injuries is at least I get to shoot my mouth off later about how I got it from grappling with someone 20kg heavier than me :D In any case I want to fight in some contests and the women in my weight division are not going to drop me carefully then ask if I'm ok are they? So where is the sense in going easy?

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Naww....haven't got that many issues with myself. :p

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

For years I used to go to an open sparring put on by an all women's Kajukenbo school. I've also sparred against a female professional boxer.

It might be possible that I've sparred more different women in my life than men.

Probably the same rules apply whether sparring a man or a woman... size, control, intensity can all be the same based on agreed upon levels. Just as with any training partner.

However, emotionally there can be differences. I believe it is more important to be professional in sparring women (e.g. be sincere and show respect as well as be professional). Men might think you are an ass for something in sparring, but women might feel violated.

I believe the reason is that of trust. Men might more quickly feel they can trust you, so when you do something, you might get the benefit of the doubt that it was not intentional. On the other hand, there were a few women I knew for years and we could just wail on each other in sparring in a controlled manner... we wouldn't stop on take down but continue to roll and apply locks and such... didn't matter the gender, although skill and size were still factors. This took time to get to this level of trust as opposed to men that we can get into this kind of sparring from just knowing each other a few minutes.

Usually, have to pay very close attention, I found, to the body language and words more so with women. Women have asked me to go harder on them before sparring, but when they show signs of hurting or they say stop, you got to back off and keep your guard up. A few have told me it was too hard and they then asked to have it toned done. The look on their faces was kind of heart breaking to me cause I could tell they were a little disappointed in themselves. I remember one woman that asked for harder sparring and after we got on the ground she froze up and said stop. I stopped... she said she had to take a break... I guess it brought back bad memories of something in her past that happened to her.

I'm no mind reader, but I can tell there is a lot going on, best I can describe it is that it is at an emotional level.

Be respectful and professional at all times... pretty much IMHO.

5. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

As a woman I feel that if you can not fight with a woman then do not go in at all. It is important to respect a woman as a fighter, it is an insult to not fight equally. Boob shots are a no no as below the belt is a no no. A properly trained fighter should be body conditioned to take hits. Maybe some folks should not be sparring if they are not in proper condition man or woman.....

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Does it matter to you much if the person you are sparring is someone you have trained with for a while or if it is a complete stranger you just met that day?

Do you do anything different?

7. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

I have to say , I do respect my instructors judgement. I do try and learn something from everyone.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if you go easy on a woman because she's a woman, you deserve getting the crap beaten out of you by her, same as if you go easy on anyone else, it's that simple. if a training partner of either gender is physically or technically unable to match you, you don't "go easy" on them. you go at a level where they need to be on their toes to beat you, so they can improve. going easy on people is detrimental to them, if not downright disrespectful, particularly if done for a reason as moronic as gender stereotypes.

9. Fish Of Doom

also this, just because :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6-hZ2wIls"]YouTube - ‪Strikeforce Champ Cris "Cyborg" Santos Body Slams Tito Ortiz‬‏[/ame]

80lbs weight difference according to the video description

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  11. Fish Of Doom

you do realize that as of approximately three and a half weeks ago i am unable to take steps so that someone will not murder you for that, do you? :p

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In which case the hypothetical person will get a very long post telling him/her to compare that one liner with my posts on this thread and the one Simon linked and figure out which one I'm being serious on. Lighten the hell up and learn to take a joke basically :)

13. Fish Of Doom

i shall make like pontius pilate and wash my hands. only i'll wash them with my hair just to be contrary (and because pontius was bald, lulz).

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Come on man, I know you were just messing but I hate that. Attitudes like those are the reason why I get told I'm a 'brick s***house' just for not being quite so drastically underweight as I used to be. Leave Cyborg alone.

15. Fish Of Doom

*grabs popcorn*

16. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I'm not angry. Just dislike that idea even in joke form. I got called a brick outhouse just because I had a small bit of visible muscle rather than being completely needle limbed, and I was still underweight. Society is sick for thinking any woman who doesn't look like she is dying of AIDS is too heavy.

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Last time I checked that was a compliment :D

18. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Calling a 5'7 tall woman who weighs 56 kilograms a brick outhouse is just sick and uncalled for. If 56 is a brick outhouse then a 'normal' woman must be about 45-47 at that height..yeah, unless you have a tiny skeleton or you are an endurance athlete, probably means you're dying of anorexia.

19. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Sorry for being one of those uber serious eejits about this...

20. Fish Of Doom

i suggest that the women of MAP start uploading videos to the members' sparring videos thread. also att: frodo, if you're reading this thread: if you manage to ditch anti-foodie long enough to come to oslo, i also have a camera, so if you're ok with it we can film while we beat the everliving <BEEP> out of each other and then post it here for great lulz.